Sign in to follow this  
Col Hogan

Which City Gets Amazon's New HQ2?

Let's get those guesses on the official record...

Amazon.com is scouting North American cities for a second company headquarters, where it plans to hire as many as 50,000 full-time workers, the tech giant announced Thursday.

The Seattle-based company says it plans to invest $5 billion in construction and operation of the new location, which it is calling Amazon HQ2.

“We expect HQ2 to be a full equal to our Seattle headquarters,” Jeffrey P. Bezos, founder and chief executive of Amazon, said in a statement. “Amazon HQ2 will bring billions of dollars in up-front and ongoing investments, and tens of thousands of high-paying jobs. We’re excited to find a second home.” (Bezos also owns The Washington Post.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2017/09/07/amazon-is-looking-for-a-city-to-site-a-second-5-billion-headquarters/?utm_term=.7694be54e209

Taking over the world, one America at a time

did they finalize the buyout of Wholefoods yet?

did they finalize the buyout of Wholefoods yet?

Yes sir.. Was a shopping bonanza here soon as all the prices dropped - looked like a free for all.

They have NW now they need SE, my guess is North Carolina.

The problem is you do not want employees flying across country for meetings. They need to keep their second location in the middle of the country.

I have no info...but iowa has had Facebook, and now Apple building major bases here in Des Moines.....Amazon wouldn't shock me.

(Edit..never mind...they want 1m people and close to major airport.)

Yes sir.. Was a shopping bonanza here soon as all the prices dropped - looked like a free for all.

SIL and BIL work for them.

Dey focked

WHolefoods blows anyway.

they get 2 holidays a year off :lol:

Hopefully Ann arbor

I would hate this A LOT. This town is already a shithole that's impossible to leave at 4 or 4:30. I've said it before and I'll say it again, fock Ann Arbor.

I would hate this A LOT. This town is already a shithole that's impossible to leave at 4 or 4:30. I've said it before and I'll say it again, fock Ann Arbor.

They would not put it actually IN Ann Arbor. They would put in in Saline over my the FCA factory.

I agree with the comment about it being in the southeast, and near a major airport. I'm going with Atlanta. Cheap enough land and red state senators.

I'm wondering if this has to do with the remote possibility that Seattle could be wiped out by natural disaster. I remember years ago watching a documentary about the possibility of a volcanic eruption that would cause a massive earthquake then tsunami and totally destroy Seattle.

They would not put it actually IN Ann Arbor. They would put in in Saline over my the FCA factory.

I think the million people thing would kill that, no?

The problem is you do not want employees flying across country for meetings. They need to keep their second location in the middle of the country.

Once you're on a plane what's another 90 minutes? :dunno:

I think the million people thing would kill that, no?

who am I kidding. It's going to Houston

Mesa, Az

I'd say the Phoenix area is in the running but not the lead. They're looking for large cities with major airports, and I suspect a healthy tech infrastructure, all of which we have. We also have a major distribution center and I suspect a lot of their data centers. Problem is our perception as homotransmessicanphobes which may not sit well with latte sippers from Seattle.

Denver makes some sense. Similar size, airport, and tech infrastructure as Phoenix, but more purple than red.

SoCal has all of those but Bezos isn't a blithering idiot.

Austin is hip but not big enough probably. Also an island of blue in a sea of red. Which may rule out Dallas for the same reasons as Phoenix.

Atlanta, I don't think has the tech infrastructure for it, but I could be wrong. I was just there for the opening of Mercedez-Benz Stadium, nice enough city I guess.

Somewhere outside of DC is intriguing, Bezos owns the Post and it has everything he needs. Not perfect though -- hellacious traffic, very expensive cost of living.

Raleigh not big enough. Charlotte, I don't think has the tech infrastructure either.

The Mass Rte 128 corridor could work but similar issues as DC.

Whoever gets this, that is a big focking coup. :cheers:

I'd say the Phoenix area is in the running but not the lead. They're looking for large cities with major airports, and I suspect a healthy tech infrastructure, all of which we have. We also have a major distribution center and I suspect a lot of their data centers. Problem is our perception as homotransmessicanphobes which may not sit well with latte sippers from Seattle.

Denver makes some sense. Similar size, airport, and tech infrastructure as Phoenix, but more purple than red.

SoCal has all of those but Bezos isn't a blithering idiot.

Austin is hip but not big enough probably. Also an island of blue in a sea of red. Which may rule out Dallas for the same reasons as Phoenix.

Atlanta, I don't think has the tech infrastructure for it, but I could be wrong. I was just there for the opening of Mercedez-Benz Stadium, nice enough city I guess.

Somewhere outside of DC is intriguing, Bezos owns the Post and it has everything he needs. Not perfect though -- hellacious traffic, very expensive cost of living.

Raleigh not big enough. Charlotte, I don't think has the tech infrastructure either.

The Mass Rte 128 corridor could work but similar issues as DC.

Whoever gets this, that is a big focking coup. :cheers:

Phoenix should be ruled out cause it's hot dirty and gross

WHolefoods blows anyway.

Plus the pretentious dooshebags that frequent the store... :thumbsdown:

Phoenix should be ruled out cause it's hot dirty and gross

Where are you from again? I guarantee you that people move from there to here, much more than the opposite. :wave:

Where are you from again? I guarantee you that people move from there to here, much more than the opposite. :wave:

Detroit.

Memphis. Fed ex hub. Underutilized airport now that delta moved out. Semi center of country

I was thinking Nashville, but maybe. That would be awesome. Right now fed ex is the only major upper end employer.

They already have a distribution center outside of Nashville, which is why I thought that was a possibility.

LOL. And you talk crap on Zona? Comedy gold.

- Michigan born, California raised...

I know right? In the time since he posted that, I think 1000 people moved from Detroit to Phoenix. Or got shot. :cheers:

• Like 1

I know right? In the time since he posted that, I think 1000 people moved from Detroit to Phoenix. Or got shot. :cheers:

Don't get me wrong, Northern Michigan is absolutely beautiful. Detroit has bullet proof glass in every KFC.

Zona also has way more jobs, prettier women, better gun laws, etc. etc. If you guys will just change your lame weed laws, it would be the place I'd want to retire.

Don't get me wrong, Northern Michigan is absolutely beautiful. Detroit has bullet proof glass in every KFC.

Zona also has way more jobs, prettier women, better gun laws, etc. etc. If you guys will just change your lame weed laws, it would be the place I'd want to retire.

I used to go to the Yoop every summer for vacation, I agree it is beautiful. Also no jobs. Like a lot of places in the arctic tundra.

We've got medical weed; is Cali different? :dunno:

This makes no sense. Phoenix is hot and very dirty and gross. What Detroit is like has no bearing on this at all.

I used to go to the Yoop every summer for vacation, I agree it is beautiful. Also no jobs. Like a lot of places in the arctic tundra.

We've got medical weed; is Cali different? :dunno:

California is recreationally legal now. State gets tax revenues etc. Zona isn't too bad, except the home cultivation restrictions and "non-profit" facade.

Back on subject... east coast makes sense, logistically. I'm not too familiar with all the tax laws, but I'd guess it would be a "right to work" state with a friendly state tax.

California is recreationally legal now. State gets tax revenues etc. Zona isn't too bad, except the home cultivation restrictions and "non-profit" facade.

Back on subject... east coast makes sense, logistically. I'm not too familiar with all the tax laws, but I'd guess it would be a "right to work" state with a friendly state tax.

East coast does make sense from a population density perspective.

Could be in Penn somewhere. Can feed the eastern us and hit big Midwestern cities as well

I was thinking Nashville, but maybe. That would be awesome. Right now fed ex is the only major upper end employer.

They already have a distribution center outside of Nashville, which is why I thought that was a possibility.

Nashville is trying to land this deal.

The mayor is already working on a package/ presentation.