Sign in to follow this  
shorepatrol

Best live performances ever

I saw Tool live in Atlanta. I love them. My ears had an orgasm hearing them live. They play wonderfully live but their stage presence is meh.

Maynard wore a unitard and performed behind a screen so he kind of in a shadow. Both guitar players stood still with their hair over their faces. Only the drummer could be truly seen. It was weird. I appreciated the drummer and thought the rest of the band was lame for not giving more of themselves.

Yah. Maynard isnt much the showman anymore. He just hides in the back next to Danny Carey. Thats why if you watch that video 90s or I posted you get a real idea of how good they used to be live. Ive seem them close to 20 times live. Fun fact, Maynard married my sister. Her husband is friends with him and hes an ordained minister.

Yah. Maynard isnt much the snowman anymore. He just hides in the back next to Danny Carey. Thats why if you watch that video 90s or I posted you get a real idea of how good they used to be live. Ive seem them close to 20 times live. Fun fact, Maynard married my sister. Her husband is friends with him and hes an ordained minister.

I had to re-read your last two sentences twice. At first I thought you meant Maynard was married TO your sister. :lol:

I love the Deftones to no end but I have never thought they translated well live. Never found Chino to have good live vocals

I saw tool in about 2003ish and I think it was perfect. They were huge and had a monster production to the show with lights and lasers but they we're not in this newer phase where they took themselves a little to serious.

Maynard just stood on a pedestal behind the drummer all night to stage left with little to no light besides a small spotlight to cast a shadow.

They are one of a kind

I love the Deftones to no end but I have never thought they translated well live. Never found Chino to have good live vocals

I saw tool in about 2003ish and I think it was perfect. They were huge and had a monster production to the show with lights and lasers but they we're not in this newer phase where they took themselves a little to serious.

Maynard just stood on a pedestal behind the drummer all night to stage left with little to no light besides a small spotlight to cast a shadow.

They are one of a kind

Not sure when the first time you saw them was, but I'd definitely agree after he had the throat surgery in 2000-2001. He absolutely slayed it before that. Best scream in metal IMO.

If you appreciate great guitar(acoustic no less) I'll throw this into the mix.I cannot believe how fast this man can play.

Funny you posted this, because I missed this thread the first time around, and this was my first thought when I saw it.

I usually don't care enough about live performances to post them, but that one was really good and it made me a Tool fan. I've been listening to a few of their different albums at work the last couple of days. I was a baby when all of that great music was coming out so I missed a lot of it. I know all of the popular groups from that era (90-96/97) but are there any others you would recommend? Tool is kind of different than the stuff I normally like. Stuff from that time I really like is: The Smashing Pumpkins (only the old stuff), Radiohead, Beck, Live, The Toadies, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Spacehog (I like some space rock and the bass line in In The Meantime is one of the best ever), Lit (not the popular stuff though), Red Hot Chili Peppers (only the old stuff new stuff sucks), Weezer (old stuff), Nerf Herder, Tripping Daisy, Flaming Lips, Reel Big Fish, Offspring, For Squirrels... what I really like about that era is the unmastered raw sound. If there are bands you think I might like recommend away I'll definitely check them out.

Lightning Crashes was a good song, but I only saw the video.

I went to the dolphins cry tour

I usually don't care enough about live performances to post them, but that one was really good and it made me a Tool fan. I've been listening to a few of their different albums at work the last couple of days. I was a baby when all of that great music was coming out so I missed a lot of it. I know all of the popular groups from that era (90-96/97) but are there any others you would recommend? Tool is kind of different than the stuff I normally like. Stuff from that time I really like is: The Smashing Pumpkins (only the old stuff), Radiohead, Beck, Live, The Toadies, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Spacehog (I like some space rock and the bass line in In The Meantime is one of the best ever), Lit (not the popular stuff though), Red Hot Chili Peppers (only the old stuff new stuff sucks), Weezer (old stuff), Nerf Herder, Tripping Daisy, Flaming Lips, Reel Big Fish, Offspring, For Squirrels... what I really like about that era is the unmastered raw sound. If there are bands you think I might like recommend away I'll definitely check them out.

Well, just based on what you listed, and what I like that isn't on that list...

For bands more similar to Smashing Pumpkins/Radiohead... I'd listen to stuff from Sonic Youth, The Pixies or Dinosaur Jr.

For stuff more similar to Beck/Weezer/Flaming Lips... I'd recommend Ween, Butthole Surfers and Primus.

And for harder stuff more similar to Tool... I'd go with The Jesus Lizard, Mudhoney, Helmet and Melvins.

Maynard from TOOL also has a band called A Perfect Circle and one called Puscifer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTgKRCXybSM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HivxFBB87-Y

Maybe not historically great, but the one of the best I've seen live: Eric Clapton, Vince Gill, Andy Fairweather-Low and Doyle Bramhall, Jr. doing Lay Down Sally.

Maynard from TOOL also has a band called A Perfect Circle and one called Puscifer.

Yeah, back in the day my sister stole my Perfect Circle CD, took it to college and I never saw it again.

Not sure when the first time you saw them was, but I'd definitely agree after he had the throat surgery in 2000-2001. He absolutely slayed it before that. Best scream in metal IMO.

Never seen live. Have watched videos of all time periods and it never seemed to translate well live

No big deal. I think they r an amazing band

One of the most bizarre live performances I have seen (on the internet, not in person), could be considered a best live performance depending on how you want to go out.

Cliffs: Col Bruce Hampton celebrated his 70th birthday by putting on a 4 hour concert at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta with members of Phish, Widespread Panic, Leftover Salmon, and others. During the encore he collapses on stage has everyone is jamming out one last time. The band keeps on playing, thinking he is just fooling around, only to realize several minutes later he was actually having a massive heart attack. He was rushed to the hospital and pronounced dead.

Sad, but if you are going to go what better way to do it than surrounded by everyone you love at the end of a once in a lifetime performance on the stage of the Fox Theatre.

might not be the best performance, but Reznor is all giddy when Bowie joins in, also imagine going to see NIN and having this happen

Here's NIN being joined by Gary Newman:

Nirvana playing Smells Like Teen Spirit two days after Nevermind was released. Imagine if you were in the crowd..awesome.