Sign in to follow this  
Bills04

G-Men: P-L-E-A-S-E don't pull a "Browns"-type move ..

Bears actually. Since I got into fantasy football a long while back I have become a bit more into that than the actual team I root for in football. I still have the Blackhawks and Cubs to be a true fan of a team though.

Why such hate for the Giants?

Why such hate for the Giants?

Knew a few guys a while back when I was living in Tampa for a few years. Played a lot of frisbee golf with them. They were huge Yankees and Giants fans. Those guys were the most obnoxious sports fans I ever was around. Always ripping Chicago and the Cubs etc. Always going on and on about the Yankees and Giants, mostly the Yankees. So I guess disliking those teams just came through that particular social interaction and it stuck with me. Other than that,, they were good guys.

it's all just entertainment anyway. It's good to have bad guys and good guys in movies and sports. .

Knew a few guys a while back when I was living in Tampa for a few years. Played a lot of frisbee golf with them. They were huge Yankees and Giants fans. Those guys were the most obnoxious sports fans I ever was around. Always ripping Chicago and the Cubs etc. Always going on and on about the Yankees and Giants, mostly the Yankees. So I guess disliking those teams just came through that particular social interaction and it stuck with me. Other than that,, they were good guys.

it's all just entertainment anyway. It's good to have bad guys and good guys in movies and sports. .

Thought you might have been a Pats fan. They are obsessed with the Giants.

Hes a Bears fan obsessed with the champs.

E A G L E S Eagles! :first: :pointstosky:

Nah. I'm amazed at how consistently good the Pats have been, but I don't root for them. I'm actually just more into FF than anything when it comes to that sport.

Nah. I'm amazed at how consistently good the Pats have been, but I don't root for them. I'm actually just more into FF than anything when it comes to that sport.

Yeah. Despite all the success of the Patriots they never seem to get over the losses to the Giants. It has to be horrible to lose an undefeated season and immortality to a team they deemed inferior. Hard, no, impossible to get over.

Yeah. Despite all the success of the Patriots they never seem to get over the losses to the Giants. It has to be horrible to lose an undefeated season and immortality to a team they deemed inferior. Hard, no, impossible to get over.

Yeah, to get that close... So much parody in the league and a hard salary cap. Might never see any team get that close again.

"It has to be horrible to lose an undefeated season and immortality to a team they deemed inferior."

Really?! If you remember the last regular season game of that season, I think the NY Giants were UP on New England at halftime, 21-7 or 21-10. The G-Men played conservative in the second half, and New England came back to win it. The Pats regular season *should have* been 15-1..

"It has to be horrible to lose an undefeated season and immortality to a team they deemed inferior."

Really?! If you remember the last regular season game of that season, I think the NY Giants were UP on New England at halftime, 21-7 or 21-10. The G-Men played conservative in the second half, and New England came back to win it. The Pats regular season *should have* been 15-1..

So the Pats fans didn't think the Giants were inferior? Vegas did.

Regarding Barkley being a top pick, you see some really good players there and you also see some major busts. Reggie Bush was #2 overall, Ronnie Brown was #2, Benson was #4, McFadden was #4 overall and so on. RIchardson, Moreno, Cadilac WIlliams, Spiller, and Stewart all were pretty much busts. I would argue that 9 of the 16 underperformed their draft position or were a complete bust. More than 50%. Barkley is not truly a can't miss prospect, but recency bias and the news media make him out to be one.

I know it seems like everyone on the planet loves Barkley, but not everyone does. From CollegeFootballMetrics.com round table:

"We love salivating over his size, his otherworldly strength, and his game-breaking speed, but it hasn't translated well on the field. He's gym strong but not football strong, and he does so much dancing, bouncing, stopping, and lateral moving that he renders himself unable to transfer all that size and speed to power ala Todd Gurley. Looks like Tarzan, rushes like Jane. 230 pounds but stylistically and physically runs like he's 190. Basically Reggie Bush circa earlier years before figuring out how to run hard and between the tackles like a normal back."

"Cast aside Saquan's big runs for a moment and focus your attention on the other 95% of his attempts. When doing so, we see that that other 95% resulted in 2.1 YPC across 9 of 13 games last year, and it shows itself on tape. Truly generational caliber backs aren't that inconsistent (to put it nicely). Saquon is like a siren, drawing us in and mesmerizing us with some highlight reel runs and his impressive Olympian body, all while distracting us from what's occurring the majority of the time, and that's inefficiency. He's all athlete at the moment, essentially a neophyte as a running back.... and that gets slapped with the proverbial BOOM-BUST label for me."

From 2016-2018, PSU's offensive line ranked 3rd to last in yards created for rushing (https://www.fantasyguru.com/articles/yards-created-saquon-barkley). According to Football Outsiders(http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaol), PSU's OLine ranked 63rd in run blocking. They ranked 95th in "Stuff Rate", meaning, how often a tackle was made behind the line of scrimmage. Clearly, Penn State has a bad offensive line.

Here are the defensive line's of Penn State's opponent, in terms of rushing defense, in games where Barkley did not reach 100 total yards...

Northwestern: 20th
Ohio State: 1st
Michigan State: 23rd
Rutgers: 105th
Maryland: 118th
So, when you have the 63rd best offensive line going against a top 25 DLine, I think an assemble of failure is expected. Keep in mind, the games against Northwestern and Michigan State, he did average at least 4.5 yards per carry and in the Ohio State game, he did have a kick return for a touchdown. In the game against Maryland, Penn State won 66-3. How many carries/touches do you expect Barkley to get? He did have average 4.8 yards per carry. I think that's perfectly acceptable day. Which pretty much only leaves 1 game all year for the negative nelly's to hang their hat on. Well, I'm ok with a guy who happens to have one bad game. A bad game where he scored 2 TD's when the team won 35-6.

When you look at some of the other RB's in this class, you'll see that their offensive lines ranked a lot higher than Penn States...

Derrius Guice: LSU - Ranked 4th

Ronald Jones: USC - Ranked 38th

Royce Freeman: Oregon - Ranked 20th

Nick Chubb & Sony Michel: Georgia - Ranked 12th

Kerryon Johnson: Auburn - - Ranked 25th

No question.

But DJ might have helped masked some of those other problems.

DJ is the best rb in the league. He still couldn't save the team from a bad head coach

DJ is the best rb in the league. He still couldn't save the team from a bad head coach

A bad head coach? He went from 10 wins, to 11, to 13, then down 7, then up to 8 with their #1 RB (best in the league), missed 15+ games and their starting QB only played 7, to which, they were 3-4 in those 7. In games QB'd by Blaine Gabbert and Drew Stanton (without David Johnson), the Cardinals were 5-4. I'm sorry, but "a bad head coach" argument doesn't hold any water. Last year, with a healthy David Johnson, they easily win 10+ games. Easily. In fact, they probably win the division.

Can't disagree, he wasn't a bad head coach when they where winning.

D J could have indeed made a diffrence, now how much I don't know, but a difference absolutely.

Traded JPP to the bucks for a third rounder and swap 4th rounders. No big cap savings this year but 17 mill each of the next two. Good job out of Gettleman.

If they Giants stay in the 2 spot it has to be for a QB. The only reason they shouldn't go QB here is if they really think Eli has 3+ years left as a starter and I can't see that. I would say their likely plan with a new GM is to draft their future QB. They are already in a good position to do that, they don't have to sacrifice picks to trade up, and there are options for them this year. Next year's QB draft isn't expected to be as deep and who knows what spot they'll be drafting from in the future.

Their other needs are OL and RB. Even with the Solder signing OL could still stand to be addressed but there isn't an OL worth taking at the 2 spot. I'm still not convinced that RB is worth taking at 2 here even with Barkley. This is another deep RB draft, they can trade back and easily grab Guice, Michel, or Chubb or wait longer and still get a very good RB as it looks to go 7-9 players deep.

So I'm pretty convinced if they stay at the 2 they'll go QB. If they really think Manning has 3 more productive years and they are going to ignore QB, I think they'll trade back. Buffalo would love to get up here and after the NYJ deal with Indy, the Giants could net a lot of picks for a team wanting one of the top 3 QB's

They should take Barkely

Go Wolfpack

They should take Barkely

Go Wolfpack

These are the RB's that have been picked inside the top 10 overall picks since 2007 (This captures all NFL RB's active through 2017)

Leonard Fournette - Successful First Year, Longevity TBD, but appears to be a worthy pick at this point

Christian McCaffery - If I had to guess, I'd say he was over drafted, but one year isn't enough data

Ezekiel Elliott - Successful first year, 2nd year impacted by suspension, Longevity TBD, but appears to be a worthy pick at this point

Todd Gurley - 3 years in, would appear to justify the pick

Trent Richardson - Bust

CJ Spiller - 2 useful seasons other than that, bust

Darren McFadden - had some solid years, but certainly not worthy of the pick

Adrian Peterson - HOF

Of the 8 RB's taken this high in the draft 3 are clearly not worth the selection. 1 appears to be a reach (McCaffery). 3 are on track to validate this selection and 1 is a HOF lock. Assuming that's the way it all pans out it's a 50% hit rate of getting an RB in the first 10 picks. Lest you think I'm cherry-picking the top 10, I'll expand to all first round RB's since 2007. That adds the following players...

Melvin Gordon, David Wilson, Doug Martin, Mark Ingram, Ryan Matthews, Jahvid Best, Knowshon Mareno, Donald Brown, Beanie Wells, Johnathon Stewart, Rashard Mendenhall, Felix Jones, Chris Johnson, Marshawn Lynch.

I'll give you Gordon, Ingram, Stewart, Johnson, and Lynch as worthy of their first round selections. That's 5 out of 14 or a 36% hit rate.

Couple that with the fact that of the top 25 ACTIVE rb's the average career is about 4.6 years, that makes drafting an RB here pretty risky. Not saying Barkley's not a talent, he compares favorably to LaDanian Tomlinson and that would be a HOF player but the odds are pretty clearly less than 50/50 that an early round RB even justifies the selection.

I'm sure the QB bust rate is also pretty high but there are only a handful of QB's staring who were drafted outside the first round. It's practically a necessity to pick a QB in round 1 if you're looking for a starter. Of the teams not likely to draft their future starter this year (Cleveland, Jets, Bills, Giants likely going QB) There are 9 QB's currently starting not selected in round 1. 3 of those 9 were picked in the first 5 picks of round 2. Tom Brady, Drew Brees (first pick of the 2nd round), Kirk Cousins, Russell Wilson, Jimmy Garrapolo , Derek Carr (36 overall), Case Keenum, Dak Prescott, Andy Dalton (35 overall). That means 6 of 32 NFL starters or potential starters will come from pick 36 or higher in the NFL draft this upcoming season.

My point being that the risk of going RB at pick 2 is a silly one to take when the Giants will have to pick a QB in a year or two. Take the QB, you are going to need, that way you aren't trading picks around in the next couple of seasons if you aren't in a spot to take one. Starting NFL RB's don't have to be selected in round one and those that are, fall short of expectations over half the time.

These are the RB's that have been picked inside the top 10 overall picks since 2007 (This captures all NFL RB's active through 2017)

Leonard Fournette - Successful First Year, Longevity TBD, but appears to be a worthy pick at this point

Christian McCaffery - If I had to guess, I'd say he was over drafted, but one year isn't enough data

Ezekiel Elliott - Successful first year, 2nd year impacted by suspension, Longevity TBD, but appears to be a worthy pick at this point

Trent Richardson - Bust

Adrian Peterson - HOF

Of the 8 RB's taken this high in the draft 3 are clearly not worth the selection. 1 appears to be a reach (McCaffery). 3 are on track to validate this selection and 1 is a HOF lock. Assuming that's the way it all pans out it's a 50% hit rate of getting an RB in the first 10 picks. Lest you think I'm cherry-picking the top 10, I'll expand to all first round RB's since 2007. That adds the following players...

Melvin Gordon, David Wilson, Doug Martin, Mark Ingram, Ryan Matthews, Jahvid Best, Knowshon Mareno, Donald Brown, Beanie Wells, Johnathon Stewart, Rashard Mendenhall, Felix Jones, Chris Johnson, Marshawn Lynch.

I'll give you Gordon, Ingram, Stewart, Johnson, and Lynch as worthy of their first round selections. That's 5 out of 14 or a 36% hit rate.

Couple that with the fact that of the top 25 ACTIVE rb's the average career is about 4.6 years, that makes drafting an RB here pretty risky. Not saying Barkley's not a talent, he compares favorably to LaDanian Tomlinson and that would be a HOF player but the odds are pretty clearly less than 50/50 that an early round RB even justifies the selection.

I'm sure the QB bust rate is also pretty high but there are only a handful of QB's staring who were drafted outside the first round. It's practically a necessity to pick a QB in round 1 if you're looking for a starter. Of the teams not likely to draft their future starter this year (Cleveland, Jets, Bills, Giants likely going QB) There are 9 QB's currently starting not selected in round 1. 3 of those 9 were picked in the first 5 picks of round 2. Tom Brady, Drew Brees (first pick of the 2nd round), Kirk Cousins, Russell Wilson, Jimmy Garrapolo , Derek Carr (36 overall), Case Keenum, Dak Prescott, Andy Dalton (35 overall). That means 6 of 32 NFL starters or potential starters will come from pick 36 or higher in the NFL draft this upcoming season.

My point being that the risk of going RB at pick 2 is a silly one to take when the Giants will have to pick a QB in a year or two. Take the QB, you are going to need, that way you aren't trading picks around in the next couple of seasons if you aren't in a spot to take one. Starting NFL RB's don't have to be selected in round one and those that are, fall short of expectations over half the time.

Let's go back to 2000 when the Giants picked Ron Dayne at #11. Beautiful... No bigger RB bust in history.

Let's go back to 2000 when the Giants picked Ron Dayne at #11. Beautiful... No bigger RB bust in history.

Trent Richardson? Curtis P Enis? Lawrence Philips? Tim Biakabutuka? Ki-Jana Carter? Tommy Vardell? Blair Thomas? Just going back to 1990.

• Like 1

Trent Richardson - Bust

Adrian Peterson - HOF

They should take Barkley.

All draft picks are risk, and it doesn't even matter what history says.

This is this years draft, and we shall see what happens.

If I'm the Gmen I want a help me to win now player, and Barkely fits that role the best.

Thank you for the history lesson and the reply.

Go Wolfpack

Proverbs 22:3&8&10&14.

Trent Richardson - Bust

Adrian Peterson - HOF

The only thing I disagree with you on, is leaning towards an over-reach with McCaffery. I definitely think he was worth the pick. In fact, I think he was a value pick considering that Fournette, whom I think will end up being worse, was picked before him.

Honestly, I think we're starting to really see the impact of the 2007 rule changes, as it applies to QB. Since the rules committee made the NFL more passer friendly, we're seeing QB's assimilate much better and easier. Look at the last 5 years (not including last year - so from 2012-2016. There aren't many busts. If you look at the first round draft picks, only 5 out of 15 are considered busts... EJ Manuel, Paxton Lynch, Manziel, Weeden, and Griffin. When you look at those 5, we all said, at draft time "What??" to 4 of them. Only Griffen was a legit 1st round prospect that was a bust. Weeden was old. Manziel had significant red flags, both Lynch and Manuel were over drafted. We'll see how this past year's guys do going forward, but a lot of people liked what Watson did before he got hurt and what Trubisky did as the season went on. Even counting all 5 as busts, I'm thinking you'd be hard pressed to find a 67% success rate in any other 5 year time span.

Saw that Johnny footbal was working out today in front of the NFL scouts.

I can the Patriots picking him up and Turning him into a flex wr stud.

Go Wolfpack.

Just making things up?

• Like 1

Just making things up?

What part is made up? College hall of famer comes into the NFL as a can't miss RB, then in the pros he became a can't miss at the local buffets. Giants just gave up on him in 2004 I think it was. It's not like injury forced him to faulter. Thunder and lightning turned into blunder and spark.

QBs with great arms and legs are a must in the NFL, Peyton Manning proved that his last year playing to a super-bowl win.

Easy to do I suppose when your option is rooting for the bears.

Oh how you must miss Cutler and the glory days.

Easy to do I suppose when your option is rooting for the bears.

Oh how you must miss Cutler and the glory days.

I am a huge fan of the Bears, but they are second to my fantasy football interest as far as my choice of entertainment. It's not that it is easier to like fantasy football better because the Bears have been down, it's just that I am more into my fantasy football winning than I am into the Bears winning. Fantasy football earnings and overall interest impacts me more from both a financial and entertainment level than my favorite football team winning. I still want the Bears to win, just not if it was a choice for them to win over my fantasy team winning any given week..

That being said, I love that they brought Trubiski in last year and they will continue to be my favorite team. I am more of a pure fan of the Cubs and Blackhawks and don't play fantasy in those sports .

Uh, oh.. Looks like NYG will take the RB from Penn State. The Owners don't feel any of the QBs "have the pedigree" worthy of being the overall #2 pick.

Good instead help.

Uh, oh.. Looks like NYG will take the RB from Penn State. The Owners don't feel any of the QBs "have the pedigree" worthy of being the overall #2 pick.

Could be Chubb. With the trading of Paul, they can go youth and target the DLine. They can easily get a solid starter at RB in round 2.

Chubb (the pass rusher) would be the best value and fill the biggest need for the Giants with the 2nd pick.

I disagree, today's NFL is all about scoring.

I say if they don't go QB trade down, if they don't go QB and don't trade down go Barkley.

Every day it changes. I mean leaks happen and people do get inside hints.

But why would the Giants be putting their plans out in the Open from the 2 slot? That makes absolutely no sense. Not saying they will draft a QB, but we don't have any focking clue.

The other week they only likes Darnold. But now all of a sudden (if the Browns draft Allen which may be possible) the Giants don't want Darnold at 2?

This stuff is fun to throw around and debate as fans. But I really don't think we have the Giants plans and big board laid out in front of us. When their are real trade partners looking for that spot, they are not set on anything. We don't know what the Bills will offer them come draft day. If Allen goes 1st, just imagine the offer they will get from the Bills for Darnold.

Inside info has changed their info several times all year long. What will it be next week?

Chubb (the pass rusher) would be the best value and fill the biggest need for the Giants with the 2nd pick.

If they don't want their next QB here then they should trade down. The may get a king's ransom from the Bills.

I know it is the NFL and anything can happen. But if they are not looking to the future of their team, but more of a here and now with this offseason...then sure worry about immediate need. But I think that is delusional.

If they don't want their next QB here then they should trade down. The may get a king's ransom from the Bills.

I know it is the NFL and anything can happen. But if they are not looking to the future of their team, but more of a here and now with this offseason...then sure worry about immediate need. But I think that is delusional.

I agree with trading down rather than taking a RB with #2. If the Bills are willing to give up their two first rounders for this year and next year’s first rounder, the Giants can get two guys out of a list that includes the likes of Lamar Jackson, Mason Rudolph, Mike McGlinchey, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Marcus Davenport, etc. Throw in the fact that the second best RB in the draft, Derrius Guice, could still be available when they pick 34th. Then they would also have the extra first rounder next year where they would have another shot at getting Eli’s replacement.

If they pass on Barkley trade down is the best move.

But I would draft Barkley.

I think they could be a playoff team with him.

Thanks

Proverbs 23.

OP, here. I finally took a look at a 13 minute compilation on YouTube of Barkley's college career highlights, and he IS GOOD. With Mayfield gone, I liked the Rosen kid from UCLA, too. I hope the G-Men "build" on the Barkley selection, and grab some offensive linemen to block for him.

Hopefully in a few years Rosen isn't playing in NFC Championship games, and the G-men aren't thinking "that could have been US.."