Sign in to follow this  
mmmmm...beer

Mmmmm...beer's Low Carb Trial

So.. this last weekend I decided to take the plunge and dump some weight for the summer.

Monday decided to start a low carb, keto, paleo, atkins type of eating for the next 6 weeks.

The first two weeks I'm doing 20 carbs or less a day... my BMR is 2800 calories so wanting to keep my caloric intake somewhere around 2100. Wanting to keep my protien intake to >200.

I'm lifting or cardio at least 4-6 days a week.

I'm using MyFitnessPal to track everything.

Hasn't been hard at all so far... I think I was just tired of eating undisciplined.

Starting weight: 256.4 lbs.

Today: 249.8

Yes I realize it's all water weight and bloat right now, but it's always nice to see that initial 5-10 come off easy.

Drinking a ton of water.. like at least a gallon at work alone.... crazy story... last night.. weighted 256.2 before bed.... pissed a few times in the night... 249.8 this morning. Wow.. thats a lot of piss!! Haha...

Long term summer goal.. 225-230.

Week 1: 256.4 --> 248.8

-7.6 lb loss

Week 2: 248.8 --> 247.0

-1.8 lb loss

Week 3: 247 --> 244.8

-2.2 lb loss

Week 4: 244.8 --> 242.2

-2.6 lb loss

Week 5: 242.2 --> 240.6

-1.6 lb loss

Week 6: 240.6 --> 238.4

-2.2 lb loss

Total 6-Week Challenge Loss: -18.0 lbs

***Updated Aug. 16, 2018 : -24.2 lbs ***

• Like 1

couple things to expect.

1) A couple days into this you should experience the "Low Carb Flu" which is exactly what it sounds like. your brain is foggy, you lose energy and just feel like crap in general. You gotta power thru it. Keep your electrolytes up/stay hydrated and your fat intake as well. Your body just wont work on protein alone.

2) Your weight will fluctuate up and down really through the whole process. As long as the trend continues downward you are ok. There is a phenomenon called "whooshing" that I cant totally explain other than sometimes your weight doesn't drop for a while and then you look 5 pounds overnight it seems like.

• Like 1

couple things to expect.

1) A couple days into this you should experience the "Low Carb Flu" which is exactly what it sounds like. your brain is foggy, you lose energy and just feel like crap in general. You gotta power thru it. Keep your electrolytes up/stay hydrated and your fat intake as well. Your body just wont work on protein alone.

Yeah... I've been through this before.. the flu sucks ass... headaches etc..

Not feeling much of it this time and it's already day 4...

Macros right now... 5% carbs, 45% protien, 50% fat. I don't want to dump muscle to badly ( I know there will be some loss) so I need to keep that protien up.

Pissing a nice light purple on the keto sticks since yesterday.

Good luck, it's a very effective way to drop weight. Works best with exercise, which you are doing.

I'd tend to trust the scale more than the sticks, nice to see them light up purple though.

Get ya some dark chocolate for the sweet cravings.

• Like 1

Cauliflower rice isn’t that bad of a substitute, and spiral zuchinni noodles work too.

• Like 1

Cauliflower rice isn’t that bad of a substitute, and spiral zuchinni noodles work too.

Yep, I've had both. In fact had some leftover cauliflower rice with lunch today. Lots of stuff you can add to it (cukes, nuts), search the interwebs. :cheers:

• Like 1

Good luck, it's a very effective way to drop weight. Works best with exercise, which you are doing.

I've done it a few times before.. but after the initial 10 lbs I get bored and quit it.

This time is the first time I've set a goal for 6 weeks. That gives me something to work towards/through etc to really give it shot.

Curious to see what my results will be in 6 weeks. No cheatimg.. no bullsh!t..

Gonna have to up that carb intake after the first few weeks to 50 at least I think... 20 is hard to sustain.

Especially now that I'm out of my carpal tunnel surgery 2+ weeks.. only 3 more until I can lift hard on it again my surgeon says. I'll need some carbs to burn.

I've done it a few times before.. but after the initial 10 lbs I get bored and quit it.

This time is the first time I've set a goal for 6 weeks. That gives me something to work towards/through etc to really give it shot.

Curious to see what my results will be in 6 weeks. No cheatimg.. no bullsh!t..

Gonna have to up that carb intake after the first few weeks to 50 at least I think... 20 is hard to sustain.

Especially now that I'm out of my carpal tunnel surgery 2+ weeks.. only 3 more until I can lift hard on it again my surgeon says. I'll need some carbs to burn.

No you don't. Your body needs to learn to burn fat for fuel. Carbs are easiest; if you provide them, your body will use them. :cheers:

Exercise plus a 700/day caloric deficit will = weight loss no matter what youre eating. Feel free to have carbs my friend. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Right there with ya. I'm not counting the sh!t. Did that before and it's a pain I don't feel like dealing with. I just conciously eat less carbs is all. Drink light beer (yuck, focking cat p!ss I swear), no potatoes, pasta, or breads.

Like you say, you miss it a bit at first. But after about a week it's really no big deal. In fact I think it might stick for me this time. And there is no doubt it works. I've dropped 10 pounds in 3 weeks. It comes off fast. I should have my 6 pack back by middle of June. :doublethumbsup:

• Like 1

So after pissing out my ass the first 3 days of this eating.. today (day 5).. feel a bit stoved up. Sugar free Metamucile is now invited to the party.

You need to stick to 18-22 grams of carbs max each and every day for at least two weeks, and then maybe up it to 30 but only with eating certain vegetables. Really just stick to grilled chicken, lettuce salad with ranch dressing, eggs and bacon, and water. I've done this diet and went fron 240 to 205 but more like 210. That was 3 years ago. I eat pretty normal now except rarely eat fried foods and I avoid sugary drinks. I've maintained 220 for 2 years now although this week I'm 215 - 217, not sure why.

• Like 1

Exercise plus a 700/day caloric deficit will = weight loss no matter what youre eating. Feel free to have carbs my friend. :thumbsup:

True, but he won't get to experience the mental fog as his body converts to starvation metabolism or the health risks of a low fiber diet.

• Like 1

Week 1: 255.2 --> 248.8

6.4 lb loss

Again I know the first week is pretty much water and bloat etc. I had a couple of headaches. Not really any body aches. I haven't really been craving bread, pasta, or anything specific. The hardest part for me has been trying to keep my sodium down. Lots of salt in this low carb. Also missing say a textural crunch to my food.

I was able to stay at or under the 20 carbs a day without to much hassle. In reading there is a lot of debate on weather it's total or "net" carbs subtracting the fiber. That's hard to get a definitave answer. Just to be on the safe side, I've been doing total carbs.

I did some light lifting for about an hour + 20-40 mins of cardio 4 days last week.

My goal this upcoming week is 2-3 legit pounds. Get at least 4 days or more working out. One more week of <20 total carbs a day. It will be nice to be able to introduce some berries etc back into the mix after this week.

Hrrmm.. sure it's a bit of propaganda, but I watched, "The Magic Pill" on Netflix.

I really enjoyed it. Pretty interesting. You guys who dig documentaries.. seriously check it out.

If you can stick to drinking things that don't have calories or sugar in them it makes a world of difference.

If you can stick to drinking things that don't have calories or sugar in them it makes a world of difference.

That's never really been a problem with me in the last say 20 years. I switched to diet drinks away from straight up sugary drinks a long time ago, though with all the crap in diet I've pretty much quit them as well. I had a beer... uhmm... over a month ago I guess. Though I know exactly what you're talking about. I have seen friends lose 20 lbs just by stopping themselves from drinking pop.

Week 2: 248.8 --> 247.0

1.8 lb loss

I was somewhat disappointed in this week. Work and homelife got really busy and I wasn't able to workout to my goal of at least 4x. I only worked out 2x. Although I still find low carb thing to be easy, the weight didn't pour off like week one. I will say my body is being very consistant and the 5 lb a day fluctuations have curtailed. I'm ranging more about 2-3 lbs a day. I'm not really craving anything.

Only losing 1.8 lbs this week was disappointing, but much more realistic, healthy, and sustainable coming off slowly.

This upcoming week I'm going to up my net carbs to less than 30 a day, and allow berries and more variety to the diet.

Still excites to get after it.. surgeon says I can lift lightly this week with my repaired wrist.. and no restrictions next week! Though it still hurts and my grip isn't great so I'll slowly work my way back up in reps and weight.

• Like 1

Progress has stalled. Looks like I have to go extreme for last 10 pounds. No beer :cry: , only water, and low sodium. Going to keep my once a week cheat meal unless I am unable to break plateau.

I do notice more energy in the gym and in the sack :D . Eating tons of protein makes a huge difference. I'm crushing it. My issue has always been sustaining this as a lifestyle. I'm getting the 6 pack back whatever it takes. Heres hoping I can keep it this time.

• Like 1

Progress has stalled. Looks like I have to go extreme for last 10 pounds. No beer :cry: , only water, and low sodium. Going to keep my once a week cheat meal unless I am unable to break plateau.

I do notice more energy in the gym and in the sack :D . Eating tons of protein makes a huge difference. I'm crushing it. My issue has always been sustaining this as a lifestyle. I'm getting the 6 pack back whatever it takes. Heres hoping I can keep it this time.

Hi mbeer

:lol:

Did we know this before? I always thought it was Newbie.

Thats not me you goofballs. :D I already told you's I've never had an alias in 17 years on this bored.

steady eddie. keep up the good work!

Gave up beer and bloody Mary's as well as chocolate.

9lbs in 9 days no additional exercise

• Like 1

2.2 lb loss

Thing are progressing low and slow, but I think thats okay. I'm pretty happy with the 2.2 lb loss this week.

I'm pissing on these keto stiks and they don't seem very consistant, so if you do this take them for what their worth. Maybe a tool for your toolbox, but not cannon.

Lifting is progressing but my wrist/hand is limiting things. I don't feel like I'm getting a good pump. I don't know if it has to do with the low carb thing, but I've heard from a power lifting buddy thats the case.

I think I just keep doing what I'm doing. The results seem to be realistic, albeit slow.

2.2 lb loss

Thing are progressing low and slow, but I think thats okay. I'm pretty happy with the 2.2 lb loss this week.

I'm pissing on these keto stiks and they don't seem very consistant, so if you do this take them for what their worth. Maybe a tool for your toolbox, but not cannon.

Lifting is progressing but my wrist/hand is limiting things. I don't feel like I'm getting a good pump. I don't know if it has to do with the low carb thing, but I've heard from a power lifting buddy thats the case.

I think I just keep doing what I'm doing. The results seem to be realistic, albeit slow.

You'll have peaks and valleys just see it through,fwiw mine ended up being an average of 8.2 lbs per month over 10 months,that included a few free days and slowly increasing carb intake month to month.

• Like 1

Be careful with the protein as that can be metabolized as glucose. I mentioned a while back that I did metabolic testing with a company that trains elite athletes (NOT me, but our gym made it available). They work with endurance athletes to teach their bodies to burn fat which is critical for endurance performance. Part of the process is a daily fast, skipping breakfast and exercising in the morning.

• Like 1

Bloody Marys arent that bad for you. Tomato juice has very few calories and vodka compared to other alcohol isnt that bad for you

I'm stuck on 9 lbs.

week one 7lbs

Week two 2lbs

1/2 way through week three 0 lbs

(The week two was early in week so really zero loss in over a week)

Gets frustrating

I'm stuck on 9 lbs.

week one 7lbs

Week two 2lbs

Gets frustrating

My wife has been on a plateau for 3 weeks. She's pissed as well but if you look it up, this is very common. The advice I got was just stick with it. I only lost 1.8 my second week... I'm on week 4 and I've lost another 2 lbs this week so far. The alcohol you had probably messed with your metabolism.. those sugars had to burn off...

I'm stuck on 9 lbs.

week one 7lbs

Week two 2lbs

Gets frustrating

Sorry to sound like a broken record but as someone who lost 82 lbs in 10 months,don't give up.Also once you get to a point where you're happier with your progress don't be afraid to have a cheat day and then get right back on it.I had a cheat weekend recently and gained 9 lbs. started back on Monday and by Friday it was back off.I think the key is not to deny yourself some times like that just don't let it become a regular thing. Good luck :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Oh and also I switched my tracking app to Carb Manager on my android. It's much better to track total and net carbs per meal/day.

Sorry to sound like a broken record but as someone who lost 82 lbs in 10 months,don't give up.Also once you get to a point where you're happier with your progress don't be afraid to have a cheat day and then get right back on it.I had a cheat weekend recently and gained 9 lbs. started back on Monday and by Friday it was back off.I think the key is not to deny yourself some times like that just don't let it become a regular thing. Good luck :thumbsup:

You gained 9 pounds over the weekend? Assuming your state of hydration didn’t change, that’s a surplus of 30,000+ calories! What did you eat?

You gained 9 pounds over the weekend? Assuming your state of hydration didnt change, thats a surplus of 30,000+ calories! What did you eat?

Betting thats a shitton of salt, beer, breads, etc.. mostly water retention.

• Like 1

Betting thats a shitton of salt, beer, breads, etc.. mostly water retention.

Mainly beer and the heavier ones as I'm a bit of a beer snob