Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

My wife almost got scammed today

If it werent for me she might have. Basically, she was on one of those dog sitting websites when a woman emailed her saying she was moving to where we were and needed someone to babysit her dog every day. Wife thought it would be great since I just left my job and will be in school and that it would be easy money. Woman said she would pay $25/hr (ridiculous to even think that). Wife was supposed to meet her Friday. Well woman no showed. Emailed her yesterday saying she was busy. However, she also sent in the payment for the first week along with extra that was supposed to go to dog supplies. We got the check in yesterday apparently and they wanted her to deposit check into her account ASAP.

Now I found out about this last night when she mentioned it to me. She didnt deposit check. But today apparently now the persons name is Henry and is wanting to know when we have deposited the money so we can send the dog company the money. FYI the check was for $1980.73. He wanted us to send $1500 to the dog company and keep the rest. Told her that was either a fake check or one they would cancel once we sent them money.

Do people really fall for that sh!t? Maybe I'm real jaded but I can't imagine I've ever thought something like that would be legit.

Dunno. My wife thought it was sketchy especially when we got a check.

Do people really fall for that sh!t? Maybe I'm real jaded but I can't imagine I've ever thought something like that would be legit.

Where is the scam though? Is the entire dogsitting site bogus?

Obviously it's a scam but I'm curious their angle. Their check will bounce but then the entire site must be bogus, correct?

Where is the scam though? Is the entire dogsitting site bogus?

Obviously it's a scam but I'm curious their angle. Their check will bounce obviously but then the entire site must be bogus, correct?

No site isnt. They emailed her instead of messaging her on the site. Usually you get paid through a card on the site (thats how we paid people for watching our dogs). This was outside of the site. They wanted her to cash the check and send them $1500. So when the check turns out to be no good we would have to pay the bank $2K while they got $1500 for free

No site isnt. They emailed her instead of messaging her on the site. Usually you get paid through a card on the site (thats how we paid people for watching our dogs). This was outside of the site. They wanted her to cash the check and send them $1500. So when the check turns out to be no good we would have to pay the bank $2K while they got $1500 for free

Ahh, gotcha. I was confused. I thought they wanted her to send the site/company the 1500.

Based on our relationship, I figured she would fall for it. :dunno:

Wow. Scary that Devin is the smart one in that marriage

• Like 1

Wow. Scary that Devin is the smart one in that marriage

Devin is smarter than you can imagine ;)

Dont you remember I got perfect SAT and ACT and MCAT and GRE scores as well as having an IQ over 160? Come on Mike youre slipping

Devin is smarter than you can imagine ;)

Dont you remember I got perfect SAT and ACT and MCAT and GRE scores as well as having an IQ over 160? Come on Mike youre slipping

Yet still a dumbass. Go figure.

:wave:

Yet still a dumbass. Go figure.

:wave:

Ahh there he is! The mike we all know and love :cheers:

Seriously though, this check doesnt have a name on it. It just has Old Republic National Title on the top left hand side and Compass Bank on the upper right. No name besides my wifes. Even the signature is scribble and looks like it was printed on there. Guy wouldnt shut up earlier about us depositing the check by tomorrow but now that my wife told him she wasnt depositing it or sending money unless we meet them and the dog he hasnt responded at all.

Seriously though, this check doesnt have a name on it. It just has Old Republic National Title on the top left hand side and Compass Bank on the upper right. No name besides my wifes. Even the signature is scribble and looks like it was printed on there. Guy wouldnt shut up earlier about us depositing the check by tomorrow but now that my wife told him she wasnt depositing it or sending money unless we meet them and the dog he hasnt responded at all.

Banks aren't open until Tuesday so the guy is probably in another country.

You should go buy one thousand nine hundred and eighty one scratchers and ask to pay with a two party check and 27 pennies.

Banks aren't open until Tuesday so the guy is probably in another country.

Thats what I told her. It says it came from Texas and told her that. Guy said something about we could do a mobile deposit with it. She knew something was up when she already received a check without even meeting the woman (who is now miraculously a man). When she asked to see a picture of the woman with the dog the guy sent her a picture of a girl that looked younger than my wife holding a blonde lab puppy (keep in mind the dog was originally a golden retriever that was 6-7 years old). Wife knows the difference between a lab and a golden retriever cause her family has had both. Plus, the person she was supposedly talking To to begin with was a single mother but now she is talking to a guy

His wife got scammed alright. A few years ago.

• Like 1

My wifes parents fell for one of those scams where some dude calls and says they have your child named XYZ with a girl screaming in the backgroubd, and you need to meet them at some location with money or theyll kill them. We just happened to be in a plane at the time, so when they try her phone... no answer. Think they got a grand out of them.

So what really happened?

Nothing

How long does it take to see if a check clears?