Sign in to follow this  
KSB2424

NBA Free Agency 2018 Thread

Sorry I meant Kawhi could be on the move....

Ohhhh... Yes yes. Heard Boston might be a possibility. That would be something.

Boston is a good idea. He should just go play on whatever team Kyrie is on for the rest of his career.

So Kawhi wants out and prefers the Lakers. Hmmmmm........

Lakers now 6-1 odds with rumors of LBJ and Leonard coming...

Rumors are the Cavs are trying to trade the #8 Pick in this years draft plus pretty much any combo of players not named Love or LeBron to pry Kawhi from the Spurs.

Rumors are the Cavs are trying to trade the #8 Pick in this years draft plus pretty much any combo of players not named Love or LeBron to pry Kawhi from the Spurs.

that can't be enough

Lakers now 6-1 odds with rumors of LBJ and Leonard coming...

I will make the most :shocking: face ever, if Pop trades Leonard to the Lakers.

that can't be enough

Think it would take at least top 3 pick + assets Cleveland doesn't have to get Kawhi. Boston might have enough to swing a deal for him, but that might be short-sighted with Kyrie able to leave after this year and Kawhi able to leave one year later. :dunno: It's going to be a very interesting offseason.

No chance that's enough.

Shouldnt the Cavs be giving up assets to unload their non Bron/Live roster dreck onto somebody else?

Why wouldn't they offer Love up in a deal for Kawhi?

I see Lebron going to Houston.... Maybe they let CP3 go to free up $. Team is constructed similar to the Cle championship teams, but with better players.... Dynamic PG in Harden, Capela is a rich mans version of Tristan Thompson. Ariza at wing, some glue guys on the bench.

Why wouldn't they offer Love up in a deal for Kawhi?

I'm sure when the Spurs decline, He'll be offered. :dunno:

Is Kevin Love, the 8th pick (in a good draft), next years 1st (probably a late one) and lets say Jordan Clarkston (or whatever young player they want).....enough?

Is Kevin Love, the 8th pick (in a good draft), next years 1st (probably a late one) and lets say Jordan Clarkston (or whatever young player they want).....enough?

Just throwing it out for comparison.

The Chicago Bulls had traded three-time All-Star Jimmy Butler and the 16th overall pick Thursday night to the Minnesota Timberwolves for Zach LaVine, Kris Dunn and the No. 7 overall pick.

The trade brings together Butler and Wolves coach and president Thibodeau, who coached the Bulls for five seasons before being fired in 2015. Butler gives Thibodeau the tough-minded scorer and hard-nosed defender that he has been searching for to complement a promising young core.

The Wolves paid a big price: Besides surrendering the lottery pick, they gave up a rising star in LaVine, who is coming off of a torn ACL and Dunn, last year's No. 5 overall pick.

I don't think so, but I don't think too much of Kevin Love, at least not a trade chip. You have to LOVE the #8 pick. next years first, and clarkson are worth almost nothing. They'll(SA) get a better offer from someone else. Lebron is moving on from Cleveland.

With the draft tonight we may see some Trades.

Yesterday Hornets dealt Dwight Howard to the Nets for Timothy Mosgov, two second round picks and some cash.

Howard actually played well last year for Charlotte but he rubbed a lot the wrong way in the locker room and this was the last year of his contract anyway.....so.....meh, whatever. Mosgov sucks, but he's cheaper and only two years on his contract. I guess it works for both teams but nothing really to see here.

Latest "leans".

1. LeBron might actually stay in Cleveland

2. Kawhi is NOT staying with Spurs

3. Paul George might actually stay with OKC

Chris Paul, Boogie Cousin's etc wont be doing anything until the first three happens.

Stephen A is reporting that Lebron has been texting Kevin Durant about joining up on the Lakers.....

:lol:

That being said.....I think The Spurs are going to bend the Lakers over. They wisely realize that it's not just a trade for Kawhi, but a trade for Kawhi and Lebron. What would that be? Ingram, Kuzma, and more obviously, but unsure what. It just seems like when superstars like Kawhi want to go someplace, and it's out there that serious discussions are ongoing, then it happens.

Then I do think Lebron joins him. Then if I'm the Lakers, I pass on Paul George and instead use that money to fill in with depth.

That being said.....I think The Spurs are going to bend the Lakers over. They wisely realize that it's not just a trade for Kawhi, but a trade for Kawhi and Lebron. What would that be? Ingram, Kuzma, and more obviously, but unsure what. It just seems like when superstars like Kawhi want to go someplace, and it's out there that serious discussions are ongoing, then it happens.

Then I do think Lebron joins him. Then if I'm the Lakers, I pass on Paul George and instead use that money to fill in with depth.

If you're Los Angeles and you have an opportunity to get Leonard and LeBron you pretty much pay whatever that price is.

problem Los Angeles has its yeah they got some pieces to move but theyd almost have to move all of them. so it would be great to get LeBron and Leonard but then what do you have left? Doesn't seem like much.

Stephen A is reporting that Lebron has been texting Kevin Durant about joining up on the Lakers.....

Just heard that, that move has LeBron written all over it.

If you're Los Angeles and you have an opportunity to get Leonard and LeBron you pretty much pay whatever that price is.

problem Los Angeles has its yeah they got some pieces to move but theyd almost have to move all of them. so it would be great to get LeBron and Leonard but then what do you have left? Doesn't seem like much.

It would be awesome if LA did that, didnt win a title and then Kahwi leaves a year later basically leaving LeBron with a worse supporting cast than in CLE.

maybe they can get Luol Deng on the court. Sign Lopez for reasonable money. And that guy from the the D League. There's your starting 5.

You know its peak Free Agency frenzy when Stephen A Smith heard that so and so told him that somebody was texting somebody. Is news. :lol:

Paul George opting out. I doubt he returns to OKC but we'll see.

The Spurs have promoted assistant coach Becky Hammon to the front of the bench.

This was expected after the Spurs lost James Borrego to the Hornets. Hammond was viewed as the fourth assistant for most of the season and it's only a matter of time before she gets a chance to be a head coach. Maybe it'll happen in the summer of 2019.

look I am all for equality, but some places should be off limits

wimens stay out of our sports, you ruin every other aspect of life

Lakers offer ingraham and a 1st rounder...San Antonio wants more.

Give them ball, ingraham and a 1st rounder. You're still stealing Leonard.

Lakers offer ingraham and a 1st rounder...San Antonio wants more.

Give them ball, ingraham and a 1st rounder. You're still stealing Leonard.

Spurs are going to take that offer, call up Boston/Miami/Philly and say, what can you do better...then get back to Lakers and tell them, the New Price is...and the clock is ticking LeBron wants his answer by Friday.

If Kahwi does in fact want to go to LA hes sort of got the Spurs over a barrel. Why would any other team trade for a guy who has barely played over the past year, on a one year deal and already expressed his interest in going elsewhere?

Lakers should offer two firsts and see if SA blinks.

If Kahwi does in fact want to go to LA hes sort of got the Spurs over a barrel. Why would any other team trade for a guy who has barely played over the past year, on a one year deal and already expressed his interest in going elsewhere?

Because the team that has him is the only one that can offer him a max contract, Lakers can't sign him to one next year as a FA.

Breakdown of the numbers. He loses a guaranteed year at 37M+ if he goes the FA route.

Sporting News

Leonard's next contract Spurs in 2018 Traded this summer (re-sign in 2019) Free agency in 2019

Years 5 5 4

Dollars $219M $188M $139M

Average per year $43.8M $37.6M $34.8M

That's ridiculous. If the price was only two firsts, 15 teams will make that offer even if it's 100% Kawhi is leaving in a year.

The Spurs have the leverage. The Lakers need Kawhi to get Lebron and they have less than 10 hours to make it happen before the equation changes. The Spurs can wait it out, negotiate with Boston or Philly or whoever. And they still have the fall back of just taking a year to convince Kawhi to take their $220M instead of settling for another teams $139M. And if they don't see that happening, they can move him for a couple firsts or better at the trade deadline.

The Lakers have leverage too. Kawhi walks after this year and they get nothing. So they can play chicken with the Lakers and then what if George and LeBron both sign with LA? Or what if LeBron signs with the Lakers anyway? Then the Spurs get 30 cents on the dollar for kawhi?

Sounds like Deandre Jordan will be a Mav. He either opts in and gets traded for something like Wes Mathews, or he doesn't opt in and gets signed. While Jordan's prime timeline doesn't match up with the young back court, his skill set matches up perfectly with what Dallas needs.

If the trade goes down, Dallas still has the money available to shop in the pool of players like Marcus Smart, Aaron Gordon, Jabari Parker, or Zach Lavine.......possibly.

In short, if Dennis Smith takes a step forward and if Doncic is what we hope he is, they could compete for a playoff spot next season and they are definitely on the way back.

The Lakers have leverage too. Kawhi walks after this year and they get nothing. So they can play chicken with the Lakers and then what if George and LeBron both sign with LA? Or what if LeBron signs with the Lakers anyway? Then the Spurs get 30 cents on the dollar for kawhi?

The Lakers are working on a tight window, as Lebron has to opt in or opt out at midnight. If he opts out, that means Cavs, Sixers, or Lakers. If he opts in, Lakers are out of the running logically.

If San Antonio misses out on a deal today, they still have days/weeks/months to try and find a good offer or convince Kawhi to stay and take the extra $30m over the next 4 years. In short, they have tons of backup options whereas the Lakers don't.

All that is to say.....The Spurs have the big leverage. The fact that Kawhi wants to go to LA just keeps SA from having ALL the leverage.

Scratch some of my last post....

Sources: Cleveland Cavaliers star LeBron James has declined his $35.6M player option for 2018-19 and will enter free agency.

And just like that, as I understand it, it's down to Cleveland, Lakers, and Sixers....which were always the top 3, but still.

I this Kawhi that good ? I don't follow enough to know.

Top 5 player without a doubt.

NBA Finals MVP (2014)

2× All-NBA First Team (2016, 2017)

2× NBA Defensive Player of the Year (2015, 2016)

2nd in MVP voting 2016

3rd in MVP voting 2017

And only 26 years old.

If you are into advanced stats.....

2016 Win Shares:

• Kawhi - 13.7
  • Lebron - 13.6

2017 Win Shares:

• Kawhi - 13.6
  • Lebron - 12.9