Sign in to follow this  
Vikings4ever

Anthony Kennedy retiring from the Supreme Court

Anyone think since it's an election year, Ole Mitch will suggest that the senate hold off on voting for a justice until after the election? :)

Wow. Dumb.

5 Conservatives

4 Liberals

Replace a Conservative with a Conservative, and the math doesn't change very much. :thumbsup:

I don't follow the courts too closely, but Kennedy has been the "swing" vote on some issues, meaning he doesn't always side with the 4 conservative judges. Replace him with someone who is more likely to vote conservative and the court goes from 4.75-4.25 to 5-4. Slight improvement for conservative America.

Also, the left has this fantasy that they will take back the Senate, which allows them to do one of two things:

1. Impeach Trump, and Pence, making Nancy Pelosi president (because they will also take back the House, duh). With a D President they will then appoint a liberal judge. (I may have my succession rules off base but you get the point)

2. Gain enough Senate seats to prevent a 51 vote confirmation. Stall, like McConnell did, except do it for 18 months instead of 9 months. Dem candidate wins in 2020 and then a liberal judge is appointed.

The impact on SCOTUS rulings will be minimal short term (long term could be significant). The impact on the left's crushed hopes and dreams will be maximal. (at least for the deranged ones)

5 Conservatives

4 Liberals

Replace a Conservative with a Conservative, and the math doesn't change very much. :thumbsup:

Oh I thought he occasionally sided with liberals? Maybe not. Admittedly I didn't know much about him or his rulings.

Oh I thought he occasionally sided with liberals? Maybe not. Admittedly I didn't know much about him or his rulings.

I think he did swing the other way at times.

I don't follow the courts too closely, but Kennedy has been the "swing" vote on some issues, meaning he doesn't always side with the 4 conservative judges. Replace him with someone who is more likely to vote conservative and the court goes from 4.75-4.25 to 5-4. Slight improvement for conservative America.

I know what YOUR answer will be, but do we really want an almost guaranteed 5-4 vote on every issue with us knowing exactly who is voting which way as soon as we hear what the case is about?

I want the Supreme Court to be above politics. I know any justice will have leanings, but shouldn't we all want 9 "swing votes"?

I think he did swing the other way at times.

Often at the worst times. Affirmative Craption needs to die. Also all this gay crap is on him.

So if Ruth dies in 2020 and the Republicans still control Congress, Mitch will hold off until after the election?

That's a couple years away. We can discuss it then if it happens.

He was a Conservative, but from my understanding, yes he was the only person on the Supreme Court that would ever vote the other way.

But that just means it was 4-4, with 1 guy that leans right.

Here's the cheatsheet:

4 Conservatives: Roberts, Thomas, Alito, and Gorsuch

vs

4 Liberals: Ginsburg, Breyer, Potatomayor, and Kagan

Kennedy could go either way

• Like 1

Ben Shapiro.

Perfect

Mitch will probably schedule the vote just before the elections in November.

At FBGs you'd think the world was ending based on the amount of unhinged crying going on about this.

It is definitely funny to read...

I know what YOUR answer will be, but do we really want an almost guaranteed 5-4 vote on every issue with us knowing exactly who is voting which way as soon as we hear what the case is about?

I want the Supreme Court to be above politics. I know any justice will have leanings, but shouldn't we all want 9 "swing votes"?

Given the current state of the left:

-not accepting a fairly elected president

-attempted to prevent president-elect from being inaugurated

-district courts obstructing Trump's every move (which all eventually are shot down by SCOTUS... travel ban anyone?)

-spying on a political oppoinent

-attempt to censor anyone who disagrees

-attempting to segregate anyone who disagrees

-encouraging harassment and violence against anyone who disagrees

-tranny bathrooms

-trannies taking over women sports

-impeachment by any means necessary despite lack of a crime

-I could go on but you get the point

We need a court that is going to err on the side of caution and constitution in these unstable times.

If the left was not so radical and volatile (they are currently calling for violence on people who disagree) then I would be cool with swing votes. Right now this country needs a conservative balance.

• Like 1

Elections have consequences. Thanks Hillary!

The dems working theory now is that because MIDTERM elections are coming up the Republicans should not vote on a candidate. Hahahahahahaha

This is a REALLY big deal. In order to get neil gorsuch approved the republicans changed the rules of the filibuster. He was already in the pipeline and trump had a reason to nominate someone who could get passed through on both sides.

He no longer has the threat of filibuster and now he can nominate ANY conservative he wants with no worries. He can change the way the court rules for the rest of most of our lives.

Take into account that Ruth Bader Ginsberg will either die or retire within the next 6.5 years and the court could be conservative for a long, long time.

Given the current state of the left:

-not accepting a fairly elected president

-attempted to prevent president-elect from being inaugurated

-district courts obstructing Trump's every move (which all eventually are shot down by SCOTUS... travel ban anyone?)

-spying on a political oppoinent

-attempt to censor anyone who disagrees

-attempting to segregate anyone who disagrees

-encouraging harassment and violence against anyone who disagrees

-tranny bathrooms

-trannies taking over women sports

-impeachment by any means necessary despite lack of a crime

-I could go on but you get the point

We need a court that is going to err on the side of caution and constitution in these unstable times.

If the left was not so radical and volatile (they are currently calling for violence on people who disagree) then I would be cool with swing votes. Right now this country needs a conservative balance.

your list lies as much as phurfurs

Take into account that Ruth Bader Ginsberg will either die or retire within the next 6.5 years and the court could be conservative for a long, long time.

:wub:

your list lies as much as phurfurs

dude. His list is the reason why people hate democrats. Straight up. You are blinded if you can't see this.

What should pisss you off to bo end? The Democrats did this to themselves. They could have filled these 2 seats and ginsburgs. She would have retired if a Democrat took office. But the DNC knew best. They KNEW that running clinton was right...for them. Because of their hubris this is what you get.

Oh and he IS going to pull a second term. Only 2 sitting presidents in modern history lost their re-election bid.

The Democrats changed the course of history with their poor choices.

dude. His list is the reason why people hate democrats. Straight up. You are blinded if you can't see this.

What should pisss you off to bo end? The Democrats did this to themselves. They could have filled these 2 seats and ginsburgs. She would have retired if a Democrat took office. But the DNC knew best. They KNEW that running clinton was right...for them. Because of their hubris this is what you get.

Oh and he IS going to pull a second term. Only 2 sitting presidents in modern history lost their re-election bid.

The Democrats changed the course of history with their poor choices.

Well...

A. One of them should have been filled by Obama but McConnel pulled his BS

B. His list isnt true though...like its actually false. He is taking a lot of liberties with the truth just as phurfur does with his.

Does the senate have enough votes to confirm without the dems blocking it or holding it up forever ? I honestly dont know the head count

Are you thinking that was a serious inquiry...cause if you were.... W :o W

Schumer thinks it's a good idea. Dumb and dumber.

Does the senate have enough votes to confirm without the dems blocking it or holding it up forever ? I honestly dont know the head count

Republicans hold a 51-49 advantage. Mitch went nuclear so all yo have to do now is win by 1 vote.

Speculation is McCain won't make it to a vote (now 50-49). So in theory, if the Republicans lose one vote (Flake has made overtures, Alaska lady could be swayed).......but we are in a Culture War, so I just assume this falls 100% along party lines now and forever.

Republicans hold a 51-49 advantage. Mitch went nuclear so all yo have to do now is win by 1 vote.

Speculation is McCain won't make it to a vote (now 50-49). So in theory, if the Republicans lose one vote (Flake has made overtures, Alaska lady could be swayed).......but we are in a Culture War, so I just assume this falls 100% along party lines now and forever.

Gotta think Trump is in a stronger position to push the party that he was a few months ago. So yeah, I see it falling along party lines as well.

Now Trump has more leverage for the wall.