Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Welfare - what does it take to get it?

Cash Assistance
Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) provides temporary financial assistance for pregnant women and families with one or more dependent children. TANF provides cash assistance to help pay for food, shelter, utilities, and expenses other than medical.
If you are having trouble obtaining or receiving TANF benefits through DHS contact us at (412) 431-8960 x602.
Tip: Even if your income is too high to receive cash assistance, you may still get food stamps and Medical Assistance.
SNAP (formerly “food stamps”)
The federal Food Stamp Program is now called the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and is administered by DHS through assistance offices in each county. Most low-income families are eligible for SNAP benefits, which are credits that come on an electronic (EBT) card called ACCESS and can be used like cash to buy food at most grocery stores.
For information about SNAP benefits, read more about the program or call Just Harvest at (412) 431-8960 x602. The U.S. Department of Agriculture also has a SNAP Information Hotline for Pennsylvania: 1-800-692-7462.
Medical Assistance (M.A.)
M.A., or Medicaid, is run by the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare (DPW). Anyone who receives TANF, GA, or SSI generally receives full MA benefits, which pay for doctors, hospital visits, prescriptions and most other medical expenses.
If you receive TANF or SSI, you get dental care and medical supplies as well. MA coverage will pay your medical bills from back to three calendar months before you applied.
Leaving cash assistance: If you leave TANF because your earnings are too high, the family is usually still eligible for Medical Assistance for one year under the Extended Medical Coverage (EMC) program. For the first six months, you are eligible regardless of what your income is. For the second six months, the family is eligible as long as their monthly income is below 185% ($2,823 for a family of 3 in 2009) of the federal poverty level.
To get Extended Medical Coverage, you must tell your caseworker that you are leaving welfare for work. Don’t just assume EMC will automatically go into effect. Double check with your caseworker-especially if you get a notice that your medical assistance is being discontinued.
You may qualify for Medical Assistance even if you never received cash welfare.
You can apply for MA at your local County Assistance Office or online at: www.compass.state.pa.us. To be eligible, you must meet these requirements:
Full MA Benefits

The income and resource guidelines to qualify for full MA benefits are similar to the guidelines to qualify for TANF. However, if you don’t qualify for full MA benefits, you may qualify for one of the following programs for low-income people.
Limited MA benefits or Medically Needy Only (MNO) program
Some people with slightly higher incomes may qualify for limited MA benefits. The MNO program pays for doctor visits, tests, hospitalization and certain specialty services. It does not pay for prescription drugs, medical equipment or adult dental care.
For limited MA benefits, eligibility is determined six months at a time, and is based on the person or family’s expected income for the next six months.
Medical Assistance for Workers with Disabilities (MAWD)
For people receiving SSI/SSDI or who have an impairment/condition that meets Social Security’s definition of disability, working full time or part time and earning compensation. There are no set number of hours a person needs to work.
Medical Assistance for Workers with a Medically Improved Condition (MAWMIC)
For people who received or could have received MAWD (see above), but are now medically improved and working 40 hours per month at minimum wage or higher.
Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
CHIP is a health insurance program for children in low-income families which earn too much to qualify for full or limited MA benefits. Coverage can be free or subsidized, depending on family income and child’s age.

If you are able bodied and receiving any of these benefits, why aren't you required to do some type of work for the gubment?

Love the idea of making them do yard work and shovel snow in the winter.

We need to get this idea to Trump. Make the welfies work for taxpayers. Welfies should be treated no better than slaves, and maybe then they will seek to better themselves.

We need to get this idea to Trump. Make the welfies work for taxpayers. Welfies should be treated no better than slaves, and maybe then they will seek to better themselves.

Yeah. I'm guessing throwing that word around isn't going to help. Maybe we can call them naggers?

I’m coining the term welfie now. It will be a hot new trend where ghetto fools post selfies with their welfare cards, stamps, whatever it is nowadays. #Welfie will be a thing and you heard it here in this thread first.

• Like 1

I’m coining the term welfie now. It will be a hot new trend where ghetto fools post selfies with their welfare cards, stamps, whatever it is nowadays. #Welfie will be a thing and you heard it here in this thread first.

sorry bub.

WELFIE means "Workout Selfie." It is a photographic self-portrait taken while working out. Typically, WELFIES are posted on social-media networks (usually Instagram).

sorry bub.

WELFIE means "Workout Selfie." It is a photographic self-portrait taken while working out. Typically, WELFIES are posted on social-media networks (usually Instagram).

Crud

I would be very curious to know what percent of ebt benifits go to Walmart

They are the richest people in the world, I am guessing none

My idea for public assistance is letting people go to the grocery stores and get the dented cans, meat/perishables that expire TODAY, NO booze/cigs, etc....

It shouldn't be comfortable.

I would be very curious to know what percent of ebt benifits go to Walmart

I'd hope none. I've never seen a Walmart without a we are hiring sign. :(

Welfare is supposed to help people. Yet it perpetuates poverty for generations.

Knowing that you'd think the NAACP would demand welfare reform, while conservative republicans would love it. Quite the opposite. Ironic.

• Like 1

My idea for public assistance is letting people go to the grocery stores and get the dented cans, meat/perishables that expire TODAY, NO booze/cigs, etc....

It shouldn't be comfortable.

When I played in the minor leagues we were told the 15 hour bus ride and getting paid $850 a month was because we were to be uncomfortable and aspire to move up. If I was making a million and flying charters I wouldn't have worked as hard that's for damn sure.

I'd hope none. I've never seen a Walmart without a we are hiring sign. :(

What?

I guarantee that at least 40 percent of ebt is spent at Wal mart

When I played in the minor leagues we were told the 15 hour bus ride and getting paid $850 a month was because we were to be uncomfortable and aspire to move up. If I was making a million and flying charters I wouldn't have worked as hard that's for damn sure.

was fibgy your agent?

What?

I guarantee that at least 40 percent of ebt is spent at Wal mart

My point is there are plenty of jobs at the store the leaches shop at. In fact, many routinely walk or strut right by the help wanted signs laughing all the way to the crab leg aisle.

Welfare should have a 5 year lifetime limit. If you're a child and your parents are on Welfare for three years, you would only qualify for two years of Welfare as an adult.

Welfare should consist of 1 bag of rice and 1 block of cheese per family per month.

Crud

Confirmed Tana is the oldest person on the board. Possible Phurfer alias. Who the fock says crud?

Welfare should have a 5 year lifetime limit. If you're a child and your parents are on Welfare for three years, you would only qualify for two years of Welfare as an adult.

Welfare should consist of 1 bag of rice and 1 block of cheese per family per month.

#survivordiet

Welfare should include certain obligations. Such as attending classes to acquire a GED, or perhaps at least an associates degree. Hell, I am OK with taxpayer subsidization of the classes too.

Nudging people to work, to better themselves needs to be part of the "solution".

Pretty sure only single mothers or disabled people get welfare assistance. I do not have official number or anything and am not going to research it but I have never met an able bodied dude who got welfare at any point in his life.

So to me, this falls on the deadbeat dads shoulders. We got a nation of pu$$ies who run when they get a girl pregnant. I think that is where the problem lies. And the right wants to get rid of planned parenthood, the extreme right wants to outlaw abortion. Would just make the problem even worse lol.

Pretty sure only single mothers or disabled people get welfare assistance. I do not have official number or anything and am not going to research it but I have never met an able bodied dude who got welfare at any point in his life.

So to me, this falls on the deadbeat dads shoulders. We got a nation of pu$$ies who run when they get a girl pregnant. I think that is where the problem lies. And the right wants to get rid of planned parenthood, the extreme right wants to outlaw abortion. Would just make the problem even worse lol.

:thumbsup:

Men generally do not qualify for cash welfare, child care, or Medicaid, and they qualify for an EITC that is worth only a tenth as much as the mothers' EITC. The only major benefit for which they qualify is food stamps—to go along with continual pressure from child support and, for many, incarceration.

https://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/5a7887ef1d000026006add3b.png?ops=scalefit_720_noupscale

It might be slightly more complicated. You have the government encouraging the notion of single moms, and jailing able-bodied dads. The rise of single parent homes since the civil rights movement is staggering. We need to support single parents, but not create a social system that defines them as heroic.

A few forms and a personal ethical system that accommodates your leaching off of everybody else.

New Messico

:o

• Percentage of people on food stamps: 20.25%
  • Number of people on food stamps: 463,107
  • Estimated cost of benefits: Around $58.58 million

New Messico

Not to spark a debate.........but I do find it interesting that 9 of the top 15 on this list voted Red in the last election..... It's interesting bcoz we're told over and over - the poor favor Blue.

Not to spark a debate.........but I do find it interesting that 9 of the top 15 on this list voted Red in the last election..... It's interesting bcoz we're told over and over - the poor favor Blue.

If I were poor and working, I would vote red hoping to better myself.

if I were living off the gubment, I would go blue

I am not registered to vote, so I say fock you

• Like 1

I'd like to see it broken down further by demographic (i.e. race, criminal records) in those states.

I'd like to see it broken down further by demographic (i.e. race, criminal records) in those states.

I'd like to see it broken down even further - by those that actually voted.

I want to see it bcoz I think many that voted Red, did so in part bcoz they hold these same (basic) anti-welfare beliefs........ All the while - oblivious to the fact it's the people in their own backyards sucking them dry.

• Like 1

I'd like to see it broken down even further - by those that actually voted.

I want to see it bcoz I think many that voted Red, did so in part bcoz they hold these same (basic) anti-welfare beliefs........ All the while - oblivious to the fact it's the people in their own backyards sucking them dry.

Could be..............

Georgia is a red state but Atlanta is very diverse with a lot of poor neighborhoods around it. I'd like to see an overlay where this 'red' state's welfare recipients reside.

Same with Alabama and the urban areas.

<p>

New Messico

:o

NM has a 5.6% unemployment rate. A lot of people collecting food stamps are working poor.

NM has a 5.6% unemployment rate. A lot of people collecting food stamps are working poor.

Sadly, something like 2% of military are on food stamps for their families :(.

• Like 1

To fix welfare, you need to stop the baby mills these wimmens become. You want welfare for you and your child? Limit them to one or two children. After that, yank their uterus out.

• Like 1

Which is completely unacceptable. Give them a raise and take that money from Congresses pay.

• Like 1

Preach it man.

Why we pay our military, cops, teachers, EMS, fire fighters, etc..........so little yet Congress gets fat checks and pensions for life for having served just a few years. :wacko:

• Like 1

Men do their sponging on the as disability side.

To fix welfare, you need to stop the baby mills these wimmens become. You want welfare for you and your child? Limit them to one or two children. After that, yank their uterus out.

:thumbsup:

How funny everyone associates welfare with the ghetto and black people when in fact the majority of welfare recipients, food stamps and Medicaid recipients are not black.