Sign in to follow this  
NFLPA files grievance against NFL's anthem policy...

Surprised it took this long...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000939860/article/nflpa-files-grievance-against-nfls-anthem-policy

The NFL Players Association announced Tuesday it filed a grievance against the league's new national anthem policy.

In its statement, the NFLPA said the NFL agreed to hold discussions in hopes of finding a mutual solution to the issue.

The statement in full reads:

• Our union filed its non-injury grievance today on behalf of all players challenging the NFL's recently imposed anthem policy. The union's claim is that this new policy, imposed by the NFL's governing body without consultation with the NFLPA, is inconsistent with the collective bargaining agreement and infringes on player rights.
  • In advance of our filing today, we proposed to the NFL to begin confidential discussions with the NFLPA Executive Committee to find a solution to this issue instead of immediately proceeding with litigation. The NFL has agreed to proceed with those discussions and we look forward to starting them soon.
In May, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced the league would enact a national anthem policy for 2018 that requires players and league personnel on the sideline to stand but gives them the option to remain in the locker room if they don't want to stand. Under the change approved by team owners, individual clubs would have the power to set their own policies to ensure the anthem is being respected during any on-field action.

The change comes after players throughout the league chose not to stand during the anthem prior to the start of games during the 2017 season. The protests, which started in 2016 when Colin Kaepernick took a knee during the anthem to draw awareness to issues of social inequality against minorities, became a central issue for the NFL after President Donald Trump criticized the movement during a speech last September, stating players should be fired for not standing.

Off the field, the league has made a push to address social issues important to players. Working in conjunction with the Players Coalition, the league stepped up its efforts to support players on social issues important to them, dedicating $89 million to efforts combating social inequality.

Goodell/NFL really focked this up.

They should have used the same verbiage and rules as the NBA

Telling players to stay in the locker room is insanity.

Can they legally be forced to stand? If they have free speech then they don't have to so it correct?

Regardless if the players have to abide by the collective bargaining agreements so does the NFL.

Can they legally be forced to stand? If they have free speech then they don't have to so it correct?

Regardless if the players have to abide by the collective bargaining agreements so does the NFL.

Player conduct is in the CBA.

"We proposed confidential discussions". Dumbest player's union in the planet.

Keep driving right off the cliff. Brilliant leadership in that union. Guarantee the majority of players want nothing to do with this nonsense.

Why?

I really just wish all parties involved in this nonsense would shut the fock up and let it die already.

Meaning who gives in?

Why?

Player A, B and C aren't on the sidelines during anthem.

You don't think it will be brought up or they will be asked?

I'm tired of it. Stop making it an issue and do what the NBA does. No questions.

Well, I guess my Sundays opened up again this year.

I'm 46 and have a 5 year old. I am well past wasting time on any sports really (at work mostly). Playoff and important sh1t. Regular season? Meh, maybe some on DVR

I'm 46 and have a 5 year old. I am well past wasting time on any sports really (at work mostly). Playoff and important sh1t. Regular season? Meh, maybe some on DVR

:thumbsup:

Player A, B and C aren't on the sidelines during anthem.

You don't think it will be brought up or they will be asked?

I'm tired of it. Stop making it an issue and do what the NBA does. No questions.

Aren't they protesting something by staying in the locker room? When and IF asked the question why they stayed in the locker room they are then given their chance to promote their agenda. Seems to be a great opportunity for those who strongly oppose the flag to get their point made. Why aren't they happy?

I really just wish all parties involved in this nonsense would shut the fock up and let it die already.

Kind of hard to do when the POTUS keep making it an issue.

Well it doesn't really affect me one way or another. Do I wish Trump would stay the h3ll out of every damn news story there is? Yes. Do I wish they wouldn't spend the whole pre game every week discussing this instead of talking about the game? Yes.

But honestly, I don't watch much pregame stuff anymore. Usually flip on the game just before kick off. I'll watch NFL network a little bit but ESPN was a sh!tshow long beofre this issue came up. So really, couldn't care less how this shakes out unless it effects the games and MY entertainment.

This was a good compromise. No surprise a union is focking it up

edjr wins after first post.

Please. Please. Please. Tell me of a job in the US where you can go to work and get paid to protest. What job?

Please. Please. Please. Tell me of a job in the US where you can go to work and get paid to protest. What job?

Verizon

the antifa wing of the democratic party pays 15 an hour I hear.

How many jobs make you recite a loyalty oath before you start work?

How many jobs make you recite a loyalty oath before you start work?

Did you place your hand over an Archie when you swore in at the comicbook store?