Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

AIDS

Do you personally know anybody who has AIDS? Or who tragically had AIDS and passed away?

I mean, when I first started working, this was the big story. And by this time I think something like a third of the planet was supposed to be dead. And it just occurred to me that I literally don't know anybody who has AIDS. And I haven't known anybody in 25 years.

And I'm not talking about knowing somebody who knows somebody or knowing of somebody yada yada yada. I mean like a real personal affiliation to somebody with AIDS.

You do know people with HIV, they just haven't disclosed their status. Yes, I know people from every walk of life.

The reason people aren't dying as they used to is because of the effective drug regimen people are on. The number of new cases is increasing, but not significantly.

You do know people with HIV, they just haven't disclosed their status. Yes, I know people from every walk of life.

No, I don't.

I'm surprised that after this time, they still haven't revealed all the times that Ryan White had unprotected man butt secks in Gay San Francisco Bath Houses.

AIDS was one of the biggest scam diseases of all-time, and more money is still spent on in than cancer research

Global Warming back when they called it Global Cooling.

AIDS was one of the biggest scam diseases of all-time, and more money is still spent on in than cancer research

How so?

As to the OP, I've treated many people with HIV/AIDS, and gotten to know a few.

Just one.

I had a cousin I found out was gay when he died of AIDS in the late 90s. Other than that, no.

How so?

As to the OP, I've treated many people with HIV/AIDS, and gotten to know a few.

By "treated" you mean you bought them breakfast after playing tummy sticks?

• Like 2

A girl I went to high school with. Pros/ Drug user. She was a nice kid in HS, a little whacky. Janitor at my first precinct. Nice guy , gay on the down low.

The same can be said about Ebola. What happened to that terrifying disease that people were coming over here and infecting everyone on planes with?

What about H1N1 or Zika? People are warned to take the flu shot every year. I never have taken one and it seems the only people I know who get the flu are those who have taken the shot.

Trust me, the AIDS scare was real and thanks to prevention and antiretroviral drugs HIV numbers are not as high as they could be.

Another great topic with a swing and a miss by wiff.

WTF are you talking about? Butthurt freak.

The same can be said about Ebola. What happened to that terrifying disease that people were coming over here and infecting everyone on planes with?

What about H1N1 or Zika? People are warned to take the flu shot every year. I never have taken one and it seems the only people I know who get the flu are those who have taken the shot.

Trust me, the AIDS scare was real and thanks to prevention and antiretroviral drugs HIV numbers are not as high as they could be.

HIV therapy is probably the greatest medical triumph of the last 30 years. Because of intense research and drug development, a certain death sentence has been transformed into a chronic disease like diabetes. HIV drugs also paved the way for treatment for hepatitis C therapy, another major breakthrough. And HIV immunology overlaps quite a bit with cancer research. Anyone who thinks AIDS is a scam is just exposing their ignorance.

Ebola, SARS, MERS, Zika, bird and swine flu pale in comparison to the impact of HIV.

In the end, AIDS is prevenatable. We get on people for smoking, eating, boozing and all that, but you better not try and say that gay sex leads to this particular disease, and that it's easily prevented. Skinny marathon running vegetarians can still get heart disease. Responsible gay sex practitioners can't get AIDS.

38,500 New HIV cases in 2016.

Now compare that number to virtually anything else. Then compare those two things in terms of the amount of funding the NIH, the CDC, Etc receive for each respective ailment. Res Ipsa.

• Like 1

Look, I'm happy for the progress that's been made. But anybody who went through this when I did you remember the ridiculously dire predictions that were made. And just the piss poor pseudoscience. The highest growth rate of AIDS is among white toddlers! Oh my God!

Well no shiit Sherlock, if you go from 2 to 4 toddlers that's a hundred percent increase in one year. It's all about how you report the numbers.

Given that there is currently a 7-hour, yes you read that right, 7 hour Broadway musical about AIDS going on right now, you've got to be kidding me.

But I guess skin cancer doesn't sell huh?

And for the record? Of those 38,000? A full 2/3 were gay men.

In the end, AIDS is prevenatable. We get on people for smoking, eating, boozing and all that, but you better not try and say that gay sex leads to this particular disease, and that it's easily prevented. Skinny marathon running vegetarians can still get heart disease. Responsible gay sex practitioners can't get AIDS.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, as safe sex is a major component of HIV education. And I hate to break it to you, but gay sex isn't the primary mode of HIV transmission..straight sex is.

Look, I'm happy for the progress that's been made. But anybody who went through this when I did you remember the ridiculously dire predictions that were made. And just the piss poor pseudoscience. The highest growth rate of AIDS is among white toddlers! Oh my God!

Well no shiit Sherlock, if you go from 2 to 4 toddlers that's a hundred percent increase in one year. It's all about how you report the numbers.

Given that there is currently a 7-hour, yes you read that right, 7 hour Broadway musical about AIDS going on right now, you've got to be kidding me.

But I guess skin cancer doesn't sell huh?

And for the record? Of those 38,000? A full 2/3 were gay men.

I'm not gonna argue HIV doesn't get a disproportionate amount of research $, but AIDS would have been a much bigger problem if the money wasn't spent. You need to think beyond the current numbers, looking at the trajectory of cases early in the epidemic, both in the US and abroad.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, as safe sex is a major component of HIV education. And I hate to break it to you, but gay sex isn't the primary mode of HIV transmission..straight sex is.

Yeah, in Africa. Try again.

And The Band Played On is a great movie. Haven't read the book, though.

Worldwide. You said:

which is inaccurate.

Like I said. Africa. And unprotected gay sex doesn't lead to aids? Anal is pretty much gay sex, FYI

Like I said. Africa. And unprotected gay sex doesn't lead to aids? Anal is pretty much gay sex, FYI

Anal receptive intercourse (male or female) has a higher transmission risk than anal or vaginal insertive sex. But they all have risk - it ain't just a gay disease.

And I hate to break it to you, but gay sex isn't the primary mode of HIV transmission..straight sex is.

Uh, what? Of the 38,000 new cases of HIV in one year, two-thirds of those cases were gay men.

You're saying these gay men were having straight sex? LOL

I knew one guy who had full blown AIDS, a friend of my MIL. He seemed to have no real ill effects with whatever drugs he was taking. Drank like a fish and really enjoyed himself. Got stomach cancer and died in his early 50s about 10 years ago.

Uh, what? Of the 38,000 new cases of HIV in one year, two-thirds of those cases were gay men.

You're saying these gay men were having straight sex? LOL

Think harder. Hint: there are 30+ million people living with HIV.

None. Know a whole bunch with caner. A few with diabetes. 1 Type 1 the others are CBFs with Type 2.

Anal receptive intercourse (male or female) has a higher transmission risk than anal or vaginal insertive sex. But they all have risk - it ain't just a gay disease.

It really is. It really really is. If you set aside the PC bulshit, It really is. It really really is. If you set aside the PC bullshit, even when you see straight people getting hiv, they're getting it because gay men are going home to their straight wives.

it is intellectually dishonest to take the single-digit or less cases of haemophiliacs or intravenous drug users and say see? They're not all gay!

It really is. It really really is. If you set aside the PC bulshit, It really is. It really really is. If you set aside the PC bullshit, even when you see straight people getting hiv, they're getting it because gay men are going home to their straight wives.

it is intellectually dishonest to take the single-digit or less cases of haemophiliacs or intravenous drug users and say see? They're not all gay!

Wiff, you're really off-base here. Nothing PC about it.

true story. never understood it.

sometimes people bring up blood transfusions. i would think that's bs. maybe 1-2 cases ever?

Oh bullshit. The numbers don't fokking lie. 30 years into it and still two-thirds of new cases are coming from gay men?

Yes, have known friends who died from AIDS. All homosexual or IV drug abusers or both. As said above, if you practice safe hetero sex and don't stick a needle in your arm, you're probably not going to get AIDS. Is what it is.

no he's not. men having sex with men (anal) is about the most high risk disease spreading behavior there is. look at the stats on CDC. it's crazy. and just like HT said...you can't talk about abstaining from it.

Oh bullshit. The numbers don't fokking lie. 30 years into it and still two-thirds of new cases are coming from gay men?

You are looking at a subset of the numbers. 30+ million people with HIV worldwide, and the majority ain't gay.

Using your logic, you can make a better argument for syphilis being a gay disease.

no he's not. men having sex with men (anal) is about the most high risk disease spreading behavior there is. look at the stats on CDC. it's crazy. and just like HT said...you can't talk about abstaining from it.

Yes he is. You and HT too. Anal receptive sex is a a high risk behavior, but it is far from the only way the disease is spread.

The guy who did my MIL's mom's hair is HIV positive (and has been for 15 years). Nice guy.