Sign in to follow this  
GreatGray

Mahomes

Curious how you all are viewing his value heading into this season, especially in terms of dynasty ranks.

To me it seems we've got one of the strongest arms in the league on a team with elite weapons and a renowned QB coach, plus those supposed "intangibles". Also a bad defense in KC that could further translate into plenty of big days for Mahomes. Sure, he's inexperienced and unproven in the NFL, may not be the most accurate dude ever and there's the usual risk but the situation is solid and the upside is clear.

I traded 1.10 in my rookie draft to acquire him, which is admittedly a bit of a reach compared to the expert rankings I'm seeing...but I'm one to go with my gut and it still feels to me like plenty of room to pay off at that price (and other comparable options just feeling like higher bust potential with lower upside). Hype train yet to fully take off but we'll see how preseason goes.

I'm expecting big things, willing to gamble a bit on him this year, especially in dynasty formats. Seems like he's got a shot to be a real value in redraft. What do you think?

Kansas City is a win now team. No chance they give up Alex Smith if they were not fully confident in Mahomes. I only saw him play a few times but I bet he is the real deal. He sure looks it.

Kansas City is a win now team. No chance they give up Alex Smith if they were not fully confident in Mahomes. I only saw him play a few times but I bet he is the real deal. He sure looks it.

Kind of feel the opposite, I'm not privy to how their front office views the teams chances but IMO KC is in a transition period on defense and it was good time to make the switch and get a young QB experience this year, I don't think they're a top tier roster overall.

Agree with you on Mahomes but I do think he will throw alot of picks and make young QB mistakes this year.

28 tds, 4000yds and 15int.

Would be one of the great rookie years ever. If he gets to either the first 2 Ill eat my hat.

Duh he isnt a rookie. Still living in last year. It would still be an incredible year for a first year starter in his second year.

I think he'll be a decent QB2 with a couple of big games and a couple of terrible ones.

Kind of like a streakier Alex Smith at KC.

Their defense isn't going to be terrible. Pretty strong at LB, the DL needs to stop the run better and put pressure on the QB, and the secondary is suspect but I see this as a middle tier defense rather than bottom 10. Losing Eric Berry last year hurt a ton, but he's back and they have added some guys via trades/ free agency/ draft, and they brought in Baushad Breland last week for a visit which would probably be an upgrade on the outside if they can sign him.

I see a heavy reliance on the run and Spencer ware coming back should help. I think eventually mahomes will be on of the top 3-4 QBs taken every year. This year I expect some growing pains but the potential is there with his ability to move and weapons around him.

I'd be comfortable taking him as maybe the 10th qb off the board without doing too much research in saying that.

I'm looking to add him in my leagues as a late flyer if possible. He's got a ton of weapons, good wheels and a QB guru at coach. He did exactly what he needed to last year. Held a clipboard watching one of the most conservative QB's in the league. If I can match him up with a Rivers/Luck/Stafford or Ryan. I'd be more than happy to do so.

28 tds, 4000yds and 15int.

I don't think these numbers are too far off what's possible for Mahomes, though I don't see him cracking 4k yards passing. Toss in 300-400 rushing yards and a few rushing TD's from goal line sneaks and scrambles and he's well worth the gamble. The INTs are no surprise to anyone who watched Mahomes at TT. He's compared to Favre for a reason. He's in an ideal situation as far as talent and coaching around him. McNabb excelled in Year 2 under Reid. There will be some growing pains but there's too much not to like. I'm waiting on QB this year and would love to draft Mahomes and pair him with a strong vet like Rivers in case he struggles early.

If they were in win now, I think they would have stayed with Smith. The have youth with mahommes, hunt, hill..... I think they are preparing for their future, but have some talent can still compete for the AFC west.

Word is Mahommes is struggling thus far in camp.

Much ado about nothing...
Chiefs coach Andy Reid isn't concerned that Patrick Mahomes has thrown eight interceptions across seven training camp sessions.
Mahomes' picks have become a topic of Twitter discussion. "I told you at the beginning of camp I don’t care about all that stuff," Reid said. "I want him to test the offense. ... If you don’t have the intestinal fortitude to go test it you’re going to be one of those quarterbacks who checks it down every time. That’s not what it’s all about." Reid might as well be subtweeting former quarterback Alex Smith. Mahomes threw 29 interceptions across 32 college starts. Aug 2 - 1:30 PM

I’m going too pass, and let someone else enjoy.

Word is Mahommes is struggling thus far in camp.

Fine time to test the price in dynasty leagues if you ask me. This is all the buzz at the moment, and it's likely just pre-pre-season chatter.

He can be gotten for fairly cheap right now but if he has a big pre-season showing watch out :shocking: cause his value just went through the moon.

We get bonus points for 40 yard catches. I can see him launching quit a few of those this year.

Mahomes 3300 - 18 - 15. Reid runs a very limited offense young QBs. Mahomes shouldn't even be owned in 12 team leagues.

Reid has said all four quarterbacks will get one quarter of play in tomorrow night's game

Mahomes 3300 - 18 - 15. Reid runs a very limited offense young QBs. Mahomes shouldn't even be owned in 12 team leagues.

Now I think thr Mahomes hype is a little much. But lets not say he shouldnt be owned in a 12 man league.

Even with the numbers mentioned id assume he will run around a bit. Maybe Bortles type running numbers. 300 and some yards and a couple TDs.

He will probably be gone before then so not really on my radar but wouldnt mind him as a backup with some upside.

I dont even have him listed at this time.

If you own Kelce and T Hill in a keeper league in a ppr league you might be a little concern.

Hunt I think will se a lot of action.

I only consider the top 15 or so QBs to be draftable at all. Rest can be picked up week to week, I’d rather fill that spot with a lotto ticket sleeper.

Mahomes will most likely be on every leagues waiver wire.

At this point he's undraftable

You're all making a mistake. Mahomes will be on my team. He's going to be great from the very start.

• Like 1

You're all making a mistake. Mahomes will be on my team. He's going to be great from the very start.

They did seem fine letting Smith go after an mvp type season. He could def impress and if he does he will be a hot pickup that week.

Diffently could be.

I've been in on Mahomes the moment they let Alex Smith go. They really like this guy and say what you want about Reid, but I think Mahomes thrives there with that coaching staff and those offensive weapons. I could live with having him and Garoppolo as my 2 QBs this year. May take a couple weeks to see who shows up bigger, but they both have very good situations and I can probably get them on the cheap to be able to buy into building a deep RB grouping.

keep in mind, that game is where all the Chiefs starters sat prior to the playoff game, so no Hill, Hunt or Kelce and he still had a fantastic game.

Mahomes seems taylor made for the superflex position this year. His ability as a runner is vastly underrated.

What are you basing that opinion on?

Yeah, I'm not sure I see that either. KC has the best TE in football who makes his money beating linebackers deep down field, a dynamic young RB who won the rushing title last year as a rookie, a talented WR who lines up everywhere on the field, and they let go of a solid QB to put Mahomes in on a playoff caliber team. I can't beleive they are going vanilla on the offense.

Im not getting the "well they got rid of smith who had a good year so they must LOVE Mahomes and think he is ready to play" angle.

They drafted Mahomes 2 drafts ago. Smith had 3500 15 and 8. They already made their decision to go another way 2 drafts ago. They sat Mahomes for a year then decided to get something for Smith.

This idea of moving on didnt happen after last season. It was made 2 drafts ago. Not sure what you guys are talking about.

Not saying they are going vanila or not. Knowing Reid probably not. He has mentioned he wanted a guy who went for it stating that is what you need to win. Just saying this idea that they moved on from Smith meaning something is just wrong. They traded up 2 drafts ago for a QB they must have really liked because they had an aging middling QB. The middling QB had a real good year for himself. They decided to stay the course they already chose.

Im not getting the "well they got rid of smith who had a good year so they must LOVE Mahomes and think he is ready to play" angle.

They drafted Mahomes 2 drafts ago. Smith had 3500 15 and 8. They already made their decision to go another way 2 drafts ago. They sat Mahomes for a year then decided to get something for Smith.

This idea of moving on didnt happen after last season. It was made 2 drafts ago. Not sure what you guys are talking about.

they also gave up two first round picks to get him.

Yeah, I'm not sure I see that either. KC has the best TE in football who makes his money beating linebackers deep down field, a dynamic young RB who won the rushing title last year as a rookie, a talented WR who lines up everywhere on the field, and they let go of a solid QB to put Mahomes in on a playoff caliber team. I can't beleive they are going vanilla on the offense.

Heck, I was even looking deeper than that. Back when Reid took over for the Eagles back in '99, in McNabb's first season he only started 6 games. In those 6 games he averaged 24 passes and 6 rushes per game. That's about 30 drop backs with an attempt to pass. Probably only 27 or 28 though. That said, that was only 6 games. The following year McNabb was 4th in the NFL in pass attempts. A number of years later, when he had Kevin Kolb start a couple games, he had about 85 attempts in just 2 games. In Reid's last year in Philly, 23 year old Nick Foles played in 7 games, started 6, and had 265 pass attempts. That's an average of almost 38 attempts per game. While not young, Alex Smith threw almost 34 passes per game in his first year under Reid. Last year, in Mahomes' first game, he threw the ball 35 times. Just from a historical perspective, it's completely the opposite of what his original point was.

They played it smart with Mahomes. Kept Smith until they thought Mahomes was ready for the NFL. Too many teams go big on QB in the draft then throw them out there too early.

First quarter of preseason in the books where Mahomes started the only two drives of the quarter. Nothing spectacular, but he looks really comfortable running this offense. Has a nice pocket presence, stepping up into pressure a couple times to attempt a pass. Had a couple nice passes to Kelce and most of the other stuff was designed plays to get the ball into the hands of a playmaker. With as many weapons on the team, Reid should be able to get Mahomes very comfortable in this offense between running plays, designed passing plays to quickly get the ball to a receiver, and then mixing in longer passing plays to utilize Mahomes biggest weapon, his arm strength. If nothing else, this is going to be a fun ass offense to watch this year.