Sign in to follow this  
Brutal Brutus

DSTs

What teams are people targeting and in what round are you looking to draft them? Is spending a late-mid round pick on a defense hoping it repeats last years performance still a sucker play?

I like the Jags, they're about the only one I would reach a little bit for

Outside of that I like the Eagles, good for some huge weeks, Patriots, always pretty good, Ravens, coming back a bit.

Outside of those I just look for who has good schedules.

I usually try and find someone with a good match up week 1, then play the WW till I find a couple of useful defenses to hang on to.

The Ravens (vs Bills), Saints (vs Winston-less Bucs), and Lions (vs Jets) all seem to have good matchups Week 1, so I'd try and grab one of those a round or two before you think the DST rush is on.

Agree with post #4

Don't care in most drafts. I like to take the Bears this year. No way I'm spending an earlier pick to take the Jags or any of the other top ranked DSTs.

As tempting as it is to try and grab the Jags or Rams DST, I will stick to the usual method of streaming until I find a defense I can stick with. There is so much turnover from year to year with the top defenses. Think of all the owners who wasted picks last year on the Texans, Broncos and Cardinals. The Ravens were very good to me last season and I expect another solid year out of them. I like the Bears, 49ers and Titans as under the radar options that could surprise. The Bears have a lot of talent on defense and I"ll feel even better about them once they sign Roquan Smith. Keep in mind they play the Packers Week 1 however. Titans add a defensive coach and Malcolm Butler from NE. 49ers have lots of young talent and now have a QB that can keep them off the field and in positive game scripts.

What do people feel about the Cardinals? New head coach who was a d coordinator should help. Should get sacks with Chandler Jones and golden and a fairly aggressive secondary.

I like waiting until the end of the draft as well. I like the Saints weeks 1 and 2 this year (Bucs and Browns at home) but I won't take them until last 3 rounds. I am high on 9ers, Bears, and Ravens to have a chance at cracking the top 10.

Last year I picked the jags as my darkhorse.

This year I'm after Chargers, Bears and Browns.

Last year I picked the jags as my darkhorse.

This year I'm after Chargers, Bears and Browns.

You picked the same teams I like. Hopefully the Bears can sign their rookie soon. I was hoping the Browns would have gotten the DE but Ward hopefully will be a great addition.

Too bad about the injury prone CB on the Chargers getting hurt again, but they just added Derwin James to a stacked secondary. Ill wait until the Defense run and hopefully San Diego is still on the board : )

Too bad about the injury prone CB on the Chargers getting hurt again, but they just added Derwin James to a stacked secondary. Ill wait until the Defense run and hopefully San Diego is still on the board : )

Chargers are either 2nd or 3rd one off the board by ADP so if you want them can't wait for a defense run.

Chargers are either 2nd or 3rd one off the board by ADP so if you want them can't wait for a defense run.

The sites I have mocked they are going 5th or 6th off the board. Jags, Rams, Vikings go first 3 and then its a crapshoot if the Eagles, Broncos, Texans go before the Chargers. If I get lucky Ill be sure to take them, but defense isnt worth much in my format.

Yeah my bad, it was the Rams that were 2, chargers were 4, damn LA can't get used to that

Yeah my bad, it was the Rams that were 2, chargers were 4, damn LA can't get used to that

All good, I figured we were looking at different ADPs. As long as Donald comes back to that squad the Rams defense is going to be extremely fun to watch.

I don't mind taking a defense before the last round. If you think there are clear cut great defensive teams, take them in the 11th or 12th round or whatever. The difference between what you get in a 12th round WR and a 15th round WR is just taking a chance that either will be good or not. Hit or miss either way. If you can have Jacksonville or Minnesota Def. over Detroit or NYG, then you are making a clear cut better choice.

• Like 1

honestly I dont like picking Defenses early because they have up and down years big time.

unless you think the D is a difference maker there is no point.

the Jags are the closest thing to being that difference maker.

Nobody else is worth picking early in my opinion.

honestly I dont like picking Defenses early because they have up and down years big time.

unless you think the D is a difference maker there is no point.

the Jags are the closest thing to being that difference maker.

Nobody else is worth picking early in my opinion.

There is a high turnover rate in defenses which I think is why most people wait, but kickers and defenses play a fairly significant role in weekly wins and losses.

I like to look at week 1 and pick a good matchup based on that. I still see people drafting multiple dst and QBs sometimes and it makes me shake my head.

Agreed.

It starts week one for me also, look at matchups make a choice of about three good matchups.

Then target those three teams towards the end of the draft.

I usually pick a def as my second too last pick, right before my kicker.

Kicker is another postion that I just look for matchups from week too week.

I have put more thought or even eifert into picking a def or a kicker based on the number of ww moves a league allows.

Played in a league here in Reno that had a ww limit of just 14 moves, the same number of regular season games.

Thanks.

Jags is only defense I'll even remotely considering reaching for. Was easily my biggest positional adv last yr and prob the reason I made the playoffs. The talent there is undeniable. That said, how often does a defense repeat as the best? Maybe the bears in the urlacher/Hester years. Prob not worth it unless it's the 12th and u don't like some of the flyers there and think u can still get some others later. Is tempting to not have to waste time with streaming week to week for typically iffy results.

Chargers have a really good chance at being the best defense in the NFL this year, and are being overlooked

they have the best arguably 1-2 edge combo

they have the best cover corner combo and depth

they have the best safety from the draft and playmakers and pounders

they have a solid LB group and an improved interior line