Sign in to follow this  
tubby_mcgee

Has anyone here seen Breaking Bad and NOT have it in their top 2 shows of all time?

If not, what two do you have ahead of it?

Cheers, MASH, The Shield. Just off top of my head. It's a very good show but not top two ever. Heck, too soon to say but Better Call Saul may end up being thought of as better.

GOT, Sopranos. Hill Street Blues, All in the Family, Seinfeld, The Honeymooners, The Wire, Oz, Married With Children, many more.

tons of shows better than breaking bad. then again i wasnt a huge fan anyway.

GOT, Sopranos. Hill Street Blues, All in the Family, Seinfeld, The Honeymooners, The Wire, Oz, Married With Children, many more.

These are all top 2 shows including BB and removing GOT

Ozymandius, the episode two from the end, is the best TV episode I have ever seen.

The end of the episode Faceoff is the most shocking thing I have ever seen on TV. Although, and maybe partly because if this, during the few seconds leading up to the last shot, I thought it was the dumbest thing I had ever seen.

I wasn't a big fan of it. I stopped watching it whenever he was with the old dude in the wheelchair that couldn't talk. I had just gotten done watching Dexter and was tired of the "omg, he's about to get caught" plotline so that probably had a lot to do with it. I'm sure I'll binge it on some work trip in the future.

The Wire: Was both better and more enjoyable

Justified: It wasn't as great, but it was so much more entertaining that I prefer it.

The Shield

Game of Thrones

At this point, I'd have to start thinking hard about Breaking Bad at #5. Could be missing something.

Lots of people laugh out loud when watching Seinfeld :thumbsup:

Probably because of the laugh track...

Imagine how good Breaking Bad would have been if Showtime/HBO produced it.

What would have been different?

What would have been different?

Less censorship obviously? The same reason The Sopranos would have sucked if it was on cable.

Less censorship obviously? The same reason The Sopranos would have sucked if it was on cable.

That's vague.

Breaking Bad wasn't a sex show, so that didn't matter.

Breaking Bad wasn't censored much on graphic violence, at least I'll claim that based on Gus Half Face.

I don't remember how much they cussed, but it never felt like they didn't cuss when necessary.

I tend to think AMC let them do what they wanted. Maybe I'm wrong. :dunno:

That's vague.

Breaking Bad wasn't a sex show, so that didn't matter.

Breaking Bad wasn't censored much on graphic violence, at least I'll claim that based on Gus Half Face.

I don't remember how much they cussed, but it never felt like they didn't cuss when necessary.

I tend to think AMC let them do what they wanted. Maybe I'm wrong. :dunno:

So you can't even fathom how a show about drug dealers in New Mexico couldn't have been better had it not been made on mainstream cable TV and produced by HBO or Showtime? Imagine if Oz, The Sopranos, GoT had been made on cable TV.

And you might want to get your memory checked in season one F bombs were dropped constantly but after season one AMC told Cranston he was limited to just one "Fock" per season. Yeah its just words but I bet there are countless examples of AMC "toning it down".

So you can't even fathom how a show about drug dealers in New Mexico couldn't have been better had it not been made on mainstream cable TV and produced by HBO or Showtime? Imagine if Oz, The Sopranos, GoT had been made on cable TV.

And you might want to get your memory checked in season one F bombs were dropped constantly but after season one AMC told Cranston he was limited to just one "Fock" per season. Yeah its just words but I bet there are countless examples of AMC "toning it down".

Oz was a prison show that relied on violence, dongs, and cussing. That's the environment

GoT relies heavily on sex, incest, rape, and burning people alive.

I just never felt like those things were critical to BB. It was a show about the science teacher/family man as a fish out of water until he isn't. We still saw heads on sticks and bodies melted in acid. I'm not saying you are wrong necessarily. Maybe it could have been better with less restraints. But it never felt to me like it was missing anything, whereas Oz without the dongs or GoT without the boobs would lose quite a bit IMO.

Ive tried...made it thru first episode...

It was so...average I looked for other things to watch.

the TV/Cable series is an art form that is constantly progressing and evolving - to this point, Breaking Bad did it better than anyone - and they certainly learned a lot from other great shows but they nailed EVERYTHING.

• Plot/Story Line - no loose ends, believable story arc ISopranos failed to close plot lines)
  • Writing/Dialogue - perfect, authentic, believable, and even poetic (The Wire, Deadwood a bit overdone)
  • Acting - top notch, on par with the best
  • Film/Cinematography - great camera work, great visual story telling

A case can certainly be made for liking other shows just as much - but technically, BB was pristine. Game of Thrones had the added advantage of BUDGET - and that's probably the only thing BB may have lacked, and it's what an HBO or SHOWTIME could have provided.

The TV/Cable Series is the new, dominant entertainment vehicle - movies, sitcoms, etc are all falling behind. And that's good for us all, BB/Sopranos/Wire/PeakyBlinders... Brady/Manning - doesn't focking matter, it's all pretty focking great stuff and we, the viewers benefit.

Breaking Bad was great when it originally aired. I still recommend it to people that have not seen it. Top 2? No. Unlike other shows I feel no need to watch it again. Honestly it seems like it is becoming one of the most overrated tv shows.

Ive tried...made it thru first episode...

It was so...average I looked for other things to watch.

took me a while to get thru the first few and "into" the show - started and stopped watching 2 or 3 times - I posted this way back. It's worth the early grind.

I am probably the only person I know who thinks it was so so

I didn't love it. I found it just got to be overly dark for me. I watched the first season, then caught a few episodes in the latter seasons when Saul came onto the scene. I enjoyed the Saul character and have liked the first 2 seasons of the spin off. We'll see if I stick with it.

BB is not even in my top 100.

I tried watching it, gave it the entire first season (although that took about a month to get through)....it just never "got" me.

Sopranos would be #1 all time binge watch probably.

A few dramas I rank above BB:

The West Wing (although I disagreed with much of the show's politics)

The Sopranos

Rescue Me

Hill St. Blues

St. Elsewhere

The Wonder Years

The Americans

Fargo

Better Call Saul

Mad Men

Deadwood

Downton Abbey

Friday Night Lights

Freaks and Geeks

Boardwalk Empire

Stranger Things

Ozark

A few dramas I rank above BB:

The West Wing (although I disagreed with much of the show's politics)

The Sopranos

Rescue Me

Hill St. Blues

St. Elsewhere

The Wonder Years

The Americans

Fargo

Better Call Saul

Mad Men

Deadwood

Downton Abbey

Friday Night Lights

Freaks and Geeks

Boardwalk Empire

Stranger Things

Ozark

The Americans was awesome. I was sad to see it end.

• Like 1

BB is great but I can easily find shows I rank higher.