Sign in to follow this  
Canadianfan

Another Kenyan drake post

Two more explosive runs in the 3rd week of exhibition. A 30 yard run and s 35 yard reception.

Since becoming the starter, has done nothing but break tackles and bust out long plays. His value keeps dropping. I've been doing this way to long and haven't seen reverse action like this....the better he runs, the more he drops.

Let's discuss this anomaly.

Two more explosive runs in the 3rd week of exhibition. A 30 yard run and s 35 yard reception.

Since becoming the starter, has done nothing but break tackles and bust out long plays. His value keeps dropping. I've been doing this way to long and haven't seen reverse action like this....the better he runs, the more he drops.

I'm guessing a lot has to do with that there's talk of Gore and him splitting time, or at least Gore being more involved than people would like.

Is his value dropping? In Mocks he usually goes between RB 15-20. Should he go over guys like Henry, or Shady? Maybe but where do you think he should be?

Is his value dropping? In Mocks he usually goes between RB 15-20. Should he go over guys like Henry, or Shady? Maybe but where do you think he should be?

I think so

I'm back again to give you guys insight into my beloved Dolphins.Take a look at my contributions to the Mike Gesicki thread if you're looking for a sleeper TE this year.

The number 1 issue with Drake? The Gase effect.

He simply doesn't like to use a bell-cow. Sure you'll remember when Jay Ajayi was getting 200 yard games... but Arian Foster retired and Gase was FORCED to dumb down his offense for Ajayi/Landry (notice neither is on our team anymore.)

He didn't want to do that.

So what can we expect this year when Gase finally runs HIS offense for the first time?

Take a look at the 2014 Denver Broncos:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/2014.htm#all_rushing_and_receiving">https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/2014.htm#all_rushing_and_receiving

*Note - C.J. wasn't even the starter in a featured role until week 12 and he finished with those stats.

This is the thing. Every year the goal for Gase is to copy his Broncos of 2013 (when they broke all kinds of records.) Then at some point he switches to run-first-mode because its not going how he wants. When he does use of a bell-cow and go run first his RB's absolutely KILL IT...but the sad thing is...he never does this over a full season. So while Drake killed last year just like C.J. did in 2014, and just like Ajayi did in 2016....that isn't what Gase wants to do by default. So for us fantasy football fans...we never get the ELITE potential out of our players.

My concern is that were back to HURRY UP mode this year. Its been made a big deal in the off-season. That tells me he is back to trying to copy 2013 again. That's why we got rid of stupid players and now have highly intelligent players. I expect Ryan Tannehill to have a career year and for our offense to be immensely better...but will Drake be featured or not?

I expect not (as much as I'd like to see it happen) ...I expect Gore to take short yardage situations and very short goalline carries. I do expect Ballage to catch some passes later in the season but nothing significant.

So for Drake...expect 200 carries, 700-800 yards rushing, 400-500 yards receiving, and 6-10 total TDs. If you're comfortable with those numbers for a RB2 then by all means - take him there. Drake has a very, very high ceiling...but his floor brings his projection to what I anticipate above.

Last word:

People talk about Gore and Ballage as legitimate threats to Drake. They also doubt his durability. All of that is rubbish. The bottomline is that it comes down to how Gase runs his offense. If you look at C.J.s #'s in 2014 and expand it over a 16 week season...you're talking the #1 RB in the NFL. Same thing with Ajayi in 2016. Same thing with Drake in 2017. The problem is that Gase doesn't want to give a RB 350 carries and all the catches - period.

Target Drake as your #2 only if you have a top5 #1. Otherwise target him as a RB3.

• Like 2

I'm back again to give you guys insight into my beloved Dolphins.Take a look at my contributions to the Mike Gesicki thread if you're looking for a sleeper TE this year.

He simply doesn't like to use a bell-cow. Sure you'll remember when Jay Ajayi was getting 200 yard games... but Arian Foster retired and Gase was FORCED to dumb down his offense for Ajayi/Landry (notice neither is on our team anymore.)

So what can we expect this year when Gase finally runs HIS offense for the first time?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/2014.htm#all_rushing_and_receiving">https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/2014.htm#all_rushing_and_receiving

*Note - C.J. wasn't even the starter in a featured role until week 12 and he finished with those stats.

This is the thing. Every year the goal for Gase is to copy his Broncos of 2013 (when they broke all kinds of records.) Then at some point he switches to run-first-mode because its not going how he wants. When he does use of a bell-cow and go run first his RB's absolutely KILL IT...but the sad thing is...he never does this over a full season. So while Drake killed last year just like C.J. did in 2014, and just like Ajayi did in 2016....that isn't what Gase wants to do by default. So for us fantasy football fans...we never get the ELITE potential out of our players.

My concern is that were back to HURRY UP mode this year. Its been made a big deal in the off-season. That tells me he is back to trying to copy 2013 again. That's why we got rid of stupid players and now have highly intelligent players. I expect Ryan Tannehill to have a career year and for our offense to be immensely better...but will Drake be featured or not?

I expect not (as much as I'd like to see it happen) ...I expect Gore to take short yardage situations and very short goalline carries. I do expect Ballage to catch some passes later in the season but nothing significant.

So for Drake...expect 200 carries, 700-800 yards rushing, 400-500 yards receiving, and 6-10 total TDs. If you're comfortable with those numbers for a RB2 then by all means - take him there. Drake has a very, very high ceiling...but his floor brings his projection to what I anticipate above.

Last word:

People talk about Gore and Ballage as legitimate threats to Drake. They also doubt his durability. All of that is rubbish. The bottomline is that it comes down to how Gase runs his offense. If you look at C.J.s #'s in 2014 and expand it over a 16 week season...you're talking the #1 RB in the NFL. Same thing with Ajayi in 2016. Same thing with Drake in 2017. The problem is that Gase doesn't want to give a RB 350 carries and all the catches - period.

Target Drake as your #2 only if you have a top5 #1. Otherwise target him as a RB3.

Fantastic post man, thank you for this insight.

So for Drake...expect 200 carries, 700-800 yards rushing, 400-500 yards receiving, and 6-10 total TDs. If you're comfortable with those numbers for a RB2 then by all means - take him there. Drake has a very, very high ceiling...but his floor brings his projection to what I anticipate above. Last word:

Yeah I double that, great insite and thank you.

Since the word was made about more of a RBBC then I thought there would be the value of Drake for me as dropped some.

Hes still the rb to own but more of a flex option now.

Kenyan drake is going in the 4/5 round, he's not a flex. If you're drafting him he's probably your RB2.

I respect the homer opinion. However, the eye test says something different. . He's a better talent than Anderson or Ajahi. Can't see miami winning bykeeping him off the field...

I'll go out and say it and bump this post right or wrong in the middle of the season, drake is a borderline 1 and a steal at his current draft position.

Parker cant stay healthy, Gesecki still needs to learn how to block and I think Miami will have to lean on drake.

Doesnt Ballage have fumbling issues?

So where do you rank him among the Shady, Henry Alex Collins group?

I rank him after shady before Henry and Collins. Dion Lewis is a bigger threat to Henry than Gore is to Drake especially in a PPR. Drake doesn't have to come off the field. I'm om the fence with Collins. I've always loved Dixon and see him taking a bigger role later in the year if he can stay healthy.

I honestly believe that drake will have better numbers with gore as opposed to not having him on the team.

Drake is a 15 carry, 4/5 reception weapon. At 5 yards a carry and 7.5 yard reception average you do the math. RB1 all day.

Last year in 6 starts and in a limited role drake had 32 catches.

Ahead of all them. I just am not a huge fan of his schedule. That's why he wasn't more of a priority for me.

Remember, Charles started very similarly to Drake. Rarely used in his rookie year and if it weren't for an injury wouldn't of had a chance to showcase his talent in year 2. It wasn't until year three that Charles emerged as an elite RB1. That was the year people steered away from Charles because thomas jones was signed. Jones rushed for 800 and still Charles was able to produce RB1 numbers because of his breakaway and dual threat ability.

I see Drake the same....he'll bounce around with 1-2 yard gains and then bust one Charles like.

Drafted him in every league as my RB2. Going down in flames if he's a bust.

I honestly believe that drake will have better numbers with gore as opposed to not having him on the team.

Drake is a 15 carry, 4/5 reception weapon. At 5 yards a carry and 7.5 yard reception average you do the math. RB1 all day.

There's a ring of truth to this. In the wks 9-12 period last year after Ajayi had left but before Damien Williams got injured, Drake had three fine weeks while time-sharing with Williams... with just one stinker week mixed in.

I really like Kenyan Drake, and think he is under the radar. All of the "experts" disagree. I'm definitely targeting him as a value pick.

There's no such thing as a fantasy football expert. There's enough knowledge coming out of these forums to make us all experts. Fantasy is a combination of luck mixed in with some basic math.

• Like 1

Henry

Collins

Drake

Shady.

I love McCoy but I’m not so sure how his off the field issue will factor into this season.

I don’t think Dixon will be a real factor and I think Henry is going to score ten plus tds.

I had Drake ranked as high as a low rb1 some time back.

I think the Dolphins lack playmakers at the wr postion and their rookie te is a rookie te.

The more I read into this situation the more I think Gore will be the one to get the short yardage stuff with would include the goalline work.

Thank for the question.

Fun one.

Good luck.

Some Gase comments from yesterday...

Take it for what it's worth

Gase said he wants to use Drake 70 to 75 plays a game this season, so he has the chance to carry the ball 15 to 20 times and target him on at least six passes.

Its difficult for the defense, especially when you have a tight end and a running back that are a threat outside, coach Adam Gase said.

If they want to play any kind of man coverage, they have to decide who they want to put on those players. Its going to be a linebacker on one and a safety on the other. Drake on a linebacker, I like that matchup. If they want to put a linebacker on Gesecki, I like that that matchup.

I love coach talk.

It gets me all excited.

Love to read how they will use a player until he pukes.

Alex Collins

Kenyan Drake

Derrick Henry

LeSean McCoy

Some Gase comments from yesterday...

Take it for what it's worth

Gase said he wants to use Drake 70 to 75 plays a game this season, so he has the chance to carry the ball 15 to 20 times and target him on at least six passes.

I guess Gase is gonna give Drake some reps at safety, given that no team ran 70 offensive plays a game last year.

The Dolphins averaged 63. Last team to average 70+ were the Chip Kelly Eagles.

I guess Gase is gonna give Drake some reps at safety, given that no team ran 70 offensive plays a game last year.

What he's trying to say is that he's the best offensive player on the team and he's rarely going to leave the field. When gore is in, drake will line up as a WR.

Right--I got his intent, but will always find it funny how little NFL coaches seem to know about the details of their games and teams.

Drake did have a very high snap count percentage towards the end of last year already, but that admittedly was when he was the last man standing in the RB corps. I think he's an interesting pick at his price: small sample size, but obvious talent and upside. Compared to someone like Ajayi (in a multi-back offensive scheme where he won't see more than 50% of snaps) or the Henry/Lewis pair in Tennessee, Drake may have a clearer path to a huge workload and a potential top-10 season.

I think he meant 70-75%. Could be wrong though.

So I just finished my draft guys. 14 team league.

My RBs:

Royce Freeman

Kenyan Drake

Jay Ajayi

Dion Lewis

C.J. Anderson

They wen't crazy with overbidding on the #1 RBs...so I figured wth...I'll just grab the middle tier guys and hope one kills it. Hoping I get proven wrong and Drake does indeed become a RB1.

Last word:

Hell yes I'm comfortable with those "floor" numbers for an RB2. 1100 yards and 6+ TD's and 35+ receptions was easily a top 15 back last year.

(I would change the rec yards floor to more conservative 300 and still take it.)

I think he meant 70-75%. Could be wrong though.

So I just finished my draft guys. 14 team league.

My RBs:

Royce Freeman

Kenyan Drake

Jay Ajayi

Dion Lewis

C.J. Anderson

They wen't crazy with overbidding on the #1 RBs...so I figured wth...I'll just grab the middle tier guys and hope one kills it. Hoping I get proven wrong and Drake does indeed become a RB1.

Can you post your whole roster? I have never played in a 14 team league so it's interesting how the rosters shake out. In a 14 team league I would really want a true number 1 rb because one dominant player makes a huge difference in larger leagues.

Lets talk some more Drake..

Im with CanadianFan on this one. If theres one middle round RB thats gonna breakout & have a top 10 season its a Drake. I love the comparison to JCs junior season breakout. You're sitting pretty if Drake is your #2 imo

I think RB/WR/RB was the way to go this year unless you were able to land a Fournette/Gordon or Hunt/McCaffrey type combo. Once McCaffrey is off the board the value just isnt there at RB imo. Its too early to go with Freeman, Collins, McCoy, Howard or Mixon in the second round. I think it works out the best going RB/WR/RB because theres solid value at RB in the 3-4 round, like Drake, Collins, Henry, Jamal Williams.

I went Fournette, Allen, Drake, Collins and I couldnt be happier. I think Drake ends the year as a bonafide RB1.

Can you post your whole roster? I have never played in a 14 team league so it's interesting how the rosters shake out. In a 14 team league I would really want a true number 1 rb because one dominant player makes a huge difference in larger leagues.

yeah, i had the 18th pick in a work league and have never been in anything bigger than a 12 team league. Everyone gets drafted!

Lets talk some more Drake..

Im with CanadianFan on this one. If theres one middle round RB thats gonna breakout & have a top 10 season its a Drake. I love the comparison to JCs junior season breakout. You're sitting pretty if Drake is your #2 imo

I think RB/WR/RB was the way to go this year unless you were able to land a Fournette/Gordon or Hunt/McCaffrey type combo. Once McCaffrey is off the board the value just isnt there at RB imo. Its too early to go with Freeman, Collins, McCoy, Howard or Mixon in the second round. I think it works out the best going RB/WR/RB because theres solid value at RB in the 3-4 round, like Drake, Collins, Henry, Jamal Williams.

I went Fournette, Allen, Drake, Collins and I couldnt be happier. I think Drake ends the year as a bonafide RB1.

I think Collins will be big too. I envy your RBs.

Sure. Here is my lineup this week. 14 team. Standard. 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 FLEX, 1 TE, 1 DEF.

*Bold = I'm starting in my lineup this week.

Keep in mind this is an Auction draft. People overbid on RB's ($70-80 out of their $200 budget for the top-10 backs) So I sit back an let everyone overbid and then swooped up a bunch of RB2's that I can interchange based on matchups. We have 1 flex...so I figure I'll probably always start 3 RB's. Thats why I can justify being weak at WR...and if Gordon indeed plays to his potential I got a WR1 for half the price ($30 opposed to 60 for top10 WR's)

QB - Kirk Cousins, Patrick Mahomes

RB - Royce Freeman, James Conner, Kenyan Drake, Jay Ajayi, Dion Lewis, C.J. Anderson,

WR - Josh Gordon, Corey Davis, Will Fuller V, Alshon Jeffery

TE - Kyle Rudolph

DEF - Broncos

Kickoff is in 1 hour 1/2...does anyone suggest I start Drake or Lewis over Conner? If Fuller plays should I go with him over Gordon? The weather in the CLE/PIT game is going to be really bad.