Sign in to follow this  
justforbeer

Le’Veon Bell - The hold out continues!

Bell got 14.5 million guaranteed for one years worth of entertainment but doesn't want it. What's this crap about a "spin" to make Bell look bad? The terms of the contract were out there. It was posted even for the fan base to see. Anyone who follows football knows that what all the players desire in their negotiations, for the most part, is guaranteed money.

To blame the Pittsburgh Steelers for any of this is just plain dumb.

You can try to belittle his contributions by calling it "entertainment", but playing the sport takes its toll. Bell knows he has X number of productive years left in the sport and is trying to maximize his contract value for those years.

You've arbitrarily decided Steelers are 100% in the right. That's your opinion. Doesn't mean it's correct, factual or agreed on by everyone else.

You can try to belittle his contributions by calling it "entertainment", but playing the sport takes its toll. Bell knows he has X number of productive years left in the sport and is trying to maximize his contract value for those years.

You've arbitrarily decided Steelers are 100% in the right. That's your opinion. Doesn't mean it's correct, factual or agreed on by everyone else.

If sports is not entertainment, then what is it? Why do people have to pay for it like the movies? Can you live without watching it? The answer is yes. It is a luxury entertainment resource for us. And my opinion is correct on this one.

Nobody is all right or all wrong in this. Fact of the matter is that NONE of us know what was offered by the Steelers. Nobody outside that room has seen the contract. Could have been $10 million guaranteed, could have been $33 million guaranteed. I struggle to think that an former NFL GM would throw out a number without being informed about it. If Le'Veon wants to justify his position, he released the low $10 million guaranteed #, if the Steelers want to do the same they release the $33 million number.

But the bottom line is that you don't get paid for not doing your job. You don't get a raise for not having done your job. In the world of NFL athletes, everybody else who may hire you knows how well you do your job...so you don't even get a raise from another organization by not doing it. None of us can relate to this because these guys are, at a minimum, making 10x the average US household income. In Le'Veon's case he was offered TWO HUNDRED AND FORTY TIMES the average household income to work for SEVENTEEN FREAKIN WEEKS. Even if you are a well paid worker at $200,000 per year, it will take you SEVENTY TWO years to make what he would have made in 17 weeks.

I don't give a FUUUUUUUCK about Le'Veon's long term security. If I could get paid $14,400,000 for working 17 weeks and never work again...SIGN ME THE FOCK UP TODAY!!! Every one of these guys are overpaid but his greed is beyond comprehension.

• Like 1

If sports is not entertainment, then what is it? Why do people have to pay for it like the movies? Can you live without watching it? The answer is yes. It is a luxury entertainment resource for us. And my opinion is correct on this one.

Not seeing how any of the bold is relevant at all. Regardless of if it's entertainment or sport, it's YOUR perception of what value Bell is getting out of his contract.

I'm glad you think your opinion is the only one that holds water. Congrats.

Not seeing how any of the bold is relevant at all. Regardless of if it's entertainment or sport, it's YOUR perception of what value Bell is getting out of his contract.

I'm glad you think your opinion is the only one that holds water. Congrats.

Entertainment or sport? They get paid for what they do because people want to watch it and because the owners know how to present it. No other reason. Just like the movies dude. If Pitt doesn't want to pay Bell an enormous amount of money to be their running back, then that is up to them. Just like if they don't want to pay anyone that type of money to be their RB they can go get someone cheaper. OMG!! It's just like real life. Wow.

If you or the Steelers feel Bells actions are an insult, you should know that the league and players association agreed to the terms stating a player can sit out until week 10 and have it count as a full season. Its league policy. The Steelers and LeVeon Bell operate under league rule.

Its not an insult to anyone. Hes just a moron for burning 10 million dollars. While aging. And not getting those miles off.

If I put a literal pile of 10 million dollars in front of him and prepared to light it on fire or hand it to him, what do you think hed do? Hed stop me from burning it. Hes a moron.

• Like 1

Nobody is all right or all wrong in this. Fact of the matter is that NONE of us know what was offered by the Steelers. Nobody outside that room has seen the contract. Could have been $10 million guaranteed, could have been $33 million guaranteed. I struggle to think that an former NFL GM would throw out a number without being informed about it. If Le'Veon wants to justify his position, he released the low $10 million guaranteed #, if the Steelers want to do the same they release the $33 million number.

But the bottom line is that you don't get paid for not doing your job. You don't get a raise for not having done your job. In the world of NFL athletes, everybody else who may hire you knows how well you do your job...so you don't even get a raise from another organization by not doing it. None of us can relate to this because these guys are, at a minimum, making 10x the average US household income. In Le'Veon's case he was offered TWO HUNDRED AND FORTY TIMES the average household income to work for SEVENTEEN FREAKIN WEEKS. Even if you are a well paid worker at $200,000 per year, it will take you SEVENTY TWO years to make what he would have made in 17 weeks.

I don't give a FUUUUUUUCK about Le'Veon's long term security. If I could get paid $14,400,000 for working 17 weeks and never work again...SIGN ME THE FOCK UP TODAY!!! Every one of these guys are overpaid but his greed is beyond comprehension.

Bottom line is....indications are if he signed the deal they offered, he was getting $10m this season, along with 400 touches, then he was getting cut and is a free agent.

If he shows up in week 5, he still makes the same $10m......saves himself about 150 touches, then he is a free agent.

What type of people get insulted by a job offer? If you don't like the money offered, then politely say 'no thanks' and move on. How does pride come into the conversation when a company, or in this case a team, does not want to pay you more than you are asking? Same thing in other areas of business in the world. Move on with your life.

Bottom line is....indications are if he signed the deal they offered, he was getting $10m this season, along with 400 touches, then he was getting cut and is a free agent.

If he shows up in week 5, he still makes the same $10m......saves himself about 150 touches, then he is a free agent.

What if he doesn't show up on week 5? And don't the Steelers have the option to hold him out for 2 more weeks after he reports? He could just have played the year out and got 14.5 and then gone to another team. Jeez. Earn your keep man. So what if he gets 400 touches? That's $36,250 a touch. For 1 yard even.

What type of people get insulted by a job offer? If you don't like the money offered, then politely say 'no thanks' and move on. How does pride come into the conversation when a company, or in this case a team, does not want to pay you more than you are asking? Same thing in other areas of business in the world. Move on with your life.

Yeah, thats what he is doing. Saying no thanks...fulfilling the obligations of the agreement the league and players made, and moving on. You should support what he is doing.

Yeah, thats what he is doing. Saying no thanks...fulfilling the obligations of the agreement the league and players made, and moving on. You should support what he is doing.

I don't support or not support what he is doing. I just think he is making a mistake. I am only commenting as an outsider like all of us here are. I just tend to think he will be just fine financially for the rest of his life if he is not a complete dope, and him sacrificing a chance to play a game and achieve HOF stats and a possible championship will come back to haunt him.

If all he wants from this part of his life, because playing football is not going to last long, is to wring every penny he can from his playing days and nothing else, then cool. But there are tons of players who try to balance both areas of their careers.

I personally am making less money than I could make at other places than where I am now, but I live well, and like my work/life balance, and the people I work with, and the role I play in all of it. And I don't make $14 million a year. Bell only wants to make the money, which is fine, but he should adhere to the league rules in which he signed up for, or leave the company completely. Actually, I don't support his actions on not going to work in this scenario. He should play or go to the CFL or get a job in electrical engineering or something.

As others have stated, this is a CBA issue. Players and owners agreed to a process and both must deal with the realities of the CBA.

The Steelers tagged Bell and made their offer. He refused. Its a contract dispute, and each side is using what is within the CBA to their advantage. The hows and whys of the contract offer are speculation for the rest of us.

Everything I've read points to $10 mil guaranteed in the 1st year of the deal, with additional guarantees applying each spring that he was on the roster. Knowing that he'd likely have another 400 touches on him at the end of this season, with no guarantee that PIT wouldn't cut bait on him after the year obviously caused Bell to seek what recourse he had by holding out.

For anyone else to judge and/or malign Bell's character over it seems like sour grapes.

For anyone else to judge and/or malign Bell's character over it seems like sour grapes.

This has nothing to do with "sour grapes". It's just a discussion about the holdout. My thoughts are that he should honor the rules of the league since he signed up for it in the first place. He is hurting the team this year that used the rules of the league to pay him at the top of his positional value as deemed by all contracts in the league. He is not being abused in any way. Noone knows how many touches he was going get, but even if he got 400 touches, I think $36,250 a touch in that circumstance, is fair payment. He should just quit. If he was only making $500,000 at this stage of his career with the results he has already produced and is still in prime shape to do the job, I would say, yes, hold out. But this is not the case.

And we are learning that he has a terrible character. His own teammates are publicly calling him out.

Wrong. If he signed the offer they gave him during the signing period, he would have, at a minimum, made 10 million if he NEVER PLAYED A SINGLE DOWN. Had he played the entire season he would have made roughly the same he would be making now, $14 million. And again, the guaranteed money can be spread over the life of the contract. Could have been 2 million of the 14 million. Which means 8 more million would be there if he never played another down past season 1. But again, what if the $10 million guaranteed was Le'Veon and his people trying to undermine it. That seems to better fit the bill based on this:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/guaranteed/running-back/

Find me a running back in the top 50 of that list that's guaranteed at anything less that 20%. You can't. And the top RB's all get significant guarantees, particularly at significant salary. If you take the # posted today, 33 million of 70 million, that's 47%. Add the 1st year salary and you get 47 million of 70 million, or a practical guarantee of 67%. This reeks of greed and bad advice to Bell.

In fact...there's multiple articles about the Steelers offering Bell 5 yrs/70 million with 30+ million guaranteed in the first TWO years...There were no guarantees over the last 3 years, but people need to wise up. He had somewhere over 30 million guaranteed for 2 years on a 5 yr contract. He's a dumbass...as is anybody siding with him IMO.

• Like 1

Guaranteed years vs roster bonus guarantees. Big difference.

Yes, it's all about the guaranteed money. But guaranteed money can be split ANY way during the contract. Teams tend to guarantee more up front, and in fact it appears the Steelers offer was all the guaranteed money up front. So he would have made 33 million over 2 years, or 16.5 million a year average, and then 12 million per yr not guaranteed.

The only logic for Bell not doing this is being 28 yrs old after the guarantees ended with a lot of miles and the team having the ability to cut him without suffering much/any financial distress from it. I'd much rather have like 8, 8, 8, 5 and 4 but it's still 30 million in your pocket regardless of what happens. Le'Veon should STFU and just leave. As a Steelers fan, I hope he doesn't show at all.

Yes, it's all about the guaranteed money. But guaranteed money can be split ANY way during the contract. Teams tend to guarantee more up front, and in fact it appears the Steelers offer was all the guaranteed money up front. So he would have made 33 million over 2 years, or 16.5 million a year average, and then 12 million per yr not guaranteed.

The only logic for Bell not doing this is being 28 yrs old after the guarantees ended with a lot of miles and the team having the ability to cut him without suffering much/any financial distress from it. I'd much rather have like 8, 8, 8, 5 and 4 but it's still 30 million in your pocket regardless of what happens. Le'Veon should STFU and just leave. As a Steelers fan, I hope he doesn't show at all.

That is an assumption. If he had a career ending injury in the first year the Steelers could of cut him. The second year bonus was guaranteed only IF he was on the roster in March 2019.

If the Steelers wanted him next week they could offer him $16.5 to play the rest of this season.

That is an assumption. If he had a career ending injury in the first year the Steelers could of cut him. The second year bonus was guaranteed only IF he was on the roster in March 2019

Exactly. A 3 year guaranteed deal is not the same as roster bonus guarantees.

That is an assumption. If he had a career ending injury in the first year the Steelers could of cut him. The second year bonus was guaranteed only IF he was on the roster in March 2019.

If the Steelers wanted him next week they could offer him $16.5 to play the rest of this season.

No, that's why it's called guaranteed money. If he signs a contract that says all of his salary is guaranteed for two season, that's exactly what happens. It's calculated, factored into salary cap and owed regardless. If he got, as reported, 33 guaranteed and it was split to 7, 7, 7, 6 and 6 over the five years and he is hurt the first year and can't play again, all guaranteed money owed for the remaining 4 years (if it wasn't paid already) counts against the cap in year 2. Meaning, they have to pay it.

Oh, and no, they can't. Once the deadline for Franchise Tag is reached, there are no more negotiations. Either you sign and play under the franchise tag, our you don't.

No, that's why it's called guaranteed money. If he signs a contract that says all of his salary is guaranteed for two season, that's exactly what happens. It's calculated, factored into salary cap and owed regardless. If he got, as reported, 33 guaranteed and it was split to 7, 7, 7, 6 and 6 over the five years and he is hurt the first year and can't play again, all guaranteed money owed for the remaining 4 years (if it wasn't paid already) counts against the cap in year 2. Meaning, they have to pay it.

Oh, and no, they can't. Once the deadline for Franchise Tag is reached, there are no more negotiations. Either you sign and play under the franchise tag, our you don't.

Guaranteed money IF he was on the roster.

I stand by both of my statements.

Teams may not reach a "long term contract" after placing the franchise tag on a player. Nothing prohibits a team from offering a contract that pays more than the franchise tag in a one year contract.

Check out Article 10, Section 2(k) of the CBA.

Guaranteed money IF he was on the roster.

I stand by both of my statements.

Teams may not reach a "long term contract" after placing the franchise tag on a player. Nothing prohibits a team from offering a contract that pays more than the franchise tag in a one year contract.

Check out Article 10, Section 2(k) of the CBA.

He wants nothing to do with that. He wants a huge chunk guaranteed plus multiple years at his desired echo Rita this annual. Wont settle for a dime less.

He wants nothing to do with that. He wants a huge chunk guaranteed plus multiple years at his desired echo Rita this annual. Wont settle for a dime less.

So does he retire if he doesn't get offered what he is asking for?

What he wants and what he gets has led us to where we are now.

The Steelers are free to franchise him again next season. The money they are saving from him not playing rolls over to next year's cap.

The 3rd franchise tag is equal to the highest paid player on the team or a percentage that is about the same as Antonio Brown.

Is it impossible to see a scenario where Big Ben retires after the season?

The Steelers have all of the leverage if they want to impose it. Le'veon is missing near million dollar game checks in the prime of his career. The longer he holds out the more likely the Steelers will tag him again.

So does he retire if he doesn't get offered what he is asking for?

No, he would just have to lower his asking price if his isnt met. But he is confident someone will give it to him. Theres enough clueless and desperate GMs out there to do it too.

No, he would just have to lower his asking price if his isnt met. But he is confident someone will give it to him. Theres enough clueless and desperate GMs out there to do it too.

I would be suprised if he gets what he is asking. Seemingly asking anyway. Actually, I will be suprised if he gets through this season healthy.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Steelers are now listening to trade offers for holdout RB Le'Veon Bell.

They're satisfied with what James Conner has given the offense through two games and are looking to move on from the Bell situation, which has caused major off-field distractions. Bell has shown no intention of wanting to play anytime soon, seemingly more concerned with his musical career than football during the prolonged holdout. Any team interested in trading for Le'Veon would almost certainly want to work out a long-term deal before the move is made, and that creates several different obstacles to work around, including Bell's suspension and injury histories in addition to what's left of his commitment to playing football.

If they trade him. Those of us who got Conor hit the lotto. We drafted 2 weeks before the season started and I took Conor as Mr. Irrelevant. Best Mr. Irrelevant everrrrrr

• Like 1

If they trade him. Those of us who got Conor hit the lotto. We drafted 2 weeks before the season started and I took Conor as Mr. Irrelevant. Best Mr. Irrelevant everrrrrr

So you and I have Mahomes, Hill, and Conner. Who else is on your squad?

Kamara.

Fornette

tyreek Hill

Mahomes

Were my first 4 in a 2 qb league

Ended up with breida. Conor,Thompson also.

got Connor in the 15th rd loving this report if true...

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Steelers are now listening to trade offers for holdout RB Le'Veon Bell.

They're satisfied with what James Conner has given the offense through two games and are looking to move on from the Bell situation, which has caused major off-field distractions. Bell has shown no intention of wanting to play anytime soon, seemingly more concerned with his musical career than football during the prolonged holdout. Any team interested in trading for Le'Veon would almost certainly want to work out a long-term deal before the move is made, and that creates several different obstacles to work around, including Bell's suspension and injury histories in addition to what's left of his commitment to playing football

No team is allowed to work out a long term contract in 2018 with Bell.

Any team that trades for him needs to fire their GM after the way hes acted during the holdout. The guy is a clown.

nobody gripes about Aaron Rodgers being overpaid at $33 Million a year.

Or the people running the TV and Cable channels. They make millions and millions, and all they do is agree to show what the other people are doing. They aren't even operating the cameras or interviewing anyone. No one is complaining about those CEO salaries.

It's entertainment to us, it's a job for them. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

I can shrug off a FF loss because FF is only entertainment for me. If that was the way I was making my living, it should be expected to be more important to me. So no, for the players, football is not 'just entertainment'. It's how they pay mortgages, eat food, pay for kids' college, etc. Earning money for those things is not 'entertainment'. It's 'work'.

You're acting like human beings have no emotions.

What type of people get insulted by a job offer? People who get offered bad jobs for low pay simply because the employer knows he can take advantage of them. The person doesn't have to take that job, but the offer being insulting isn't about that. Consider a company that pays $20/hr to new employees. An ex-convict, recently released from prison, is qualified for work and applies for a job there. The employer knows they are the only ones in town who hire ex-cons, and so for that reason only they offer him minimum wage. That's insulting.

It's super easy to say to anyone 'don't be insulted, just move on'. But then when someone insults you on the street, actually just shrugging and walking on is another matter entirely. (And, frankly, some of the posts you and I both have directed at each other from time to time, we should know something about it being hard to not get insulted, right? :D )

No team is allowed to work out a long term contract in 2018 with Bell.

Its actually funny, since this is the case, his plan wouldnt change even if he were traded. He still isnt setting foot on field one second before he has to in able to accrue a season. What would be the difference?

Its actually funny, since this is the case, his plan wouldnt change even if he were traded. He still isnt setting foot on field one second before he has to in able to accrue a season. What would be the difference?

You're underestimating the power of spite. Guy gets traded to a team with a future, he might just decide to play as a middle finger to the Steelers. Not saying Bell would, I don't know him. But I could see more than a few people doing that.

You're underestimating the power of spite. Guy gets traded to a team with a future, he might just decide to play as a middle finger to the Steelers. Not saying Bell would, I don't know him. But I could see more than a few people doing that.

True he could. I just think his master plan that involved lighting 10mil on fire would require some serious resolve to not bend or break it. If he doesnt stick to his guns hes a fool for wasting the money. This y likely as well that hes just a fool, but just sayin.