Sign in to follow this  
scottsind

The case of value vs. need

Standard league / 12 team / 2 keeper league / 2nd pick

League starts from round 3 basically as there are 24 players off the board immediately

Keepers: Antonio Brown & Mike Evans

I am having a hard time picking between Michael Thomas and Joe Mixon with the 2nd pick of the draft. I think Thomas is the better player at his position, but I already have 2 WRs to start off the year.

It is a Linear Draft (1-12, 1-12, 1-12, no snake), so I should be able to make up for whatever route I go with good value throughout the rounds. To help your advice I have the first 5 picks potentially if I go either route:

AB, Evans, Michael Thomas, Kenyan Drake, Lynch or Ingram or Hogan

AB, Evans, Mixon, Royce Freeman, Lynch or Ingram or Hogan

Should I go Mixon for Need or Thomas for Value?

Thank you!

I think you need to go RB-RB next or you will end up starting a Theo Riddick or Matt Brieda type as your #2RB. You're set at WR starters so go for need over value. And I'd lean Freeman over Mixon but that's just my opinion.

If you do go WR for value you can always use one as trade bait later. But you'll end up paying more in WR value than you'll get back in RB value.

• Like 1

Your best option (if it is an option) would be to trade Evans to another owner in need of a WR for a good RB.....then draft Thomas. Then you would be starting Brown/Thomas, who are 2 of the best fantasy WR's in the league, as well as have a starting RB with less question marks than Mixon.

Personally, I am a little shaky on Evans as a dependable weekly ff producer.

Your best option (if it is an option) would be to trade Evans to another owner in need of a WR for a good RB.....then draft Thomas. Then you would be starting Brown/Thomas, who are 2 of the best fantasy WR's in the league, as well as have a starting RB with less question marks than Mixon.

I was thinking about saying this same exact thing

• Like 1

Wow this is a fun question.

Love the trade ideal a lot.

Thomas vs Mixon.

You posted standard league so it’s a non ppr then.

I would go Mixon. Look like Thomas outscored Mixon 39 points last season.

Thomas value in a non ppr I think is less then in a ppr. 5 tds last season.

Now that could go up some based on Ingram missing games early.

But I think Mixon will diffently improve, so I’m going Mixon.

Great question.

Good luck.

• Like 1

If I could trade Evans and get a RB of Mixons value after the draft (cannot trade players before draft) then I would in a heartbeat take Thomas. With the unknown and uncertainty of what I could obtain for Mike Evans I am weary of starting my year out with 3 WRS. The cliff of RBs drops a lot faster than WRs.

Thomas is ascending though and already pretty good. Thanks for the responses my dudes.

I just cant see anyone trading a RB value of Mixons for Evans without some man-love considering the trick this year is to have 2 quality RBs.

I just cant see anyone trading a RB value of Mixons for Evans without some man-love considering the trick this year is to have 2 quality RBs.

They are only 5 spots apart on their adp. Some would and some wouldn't

I would be the 1 trying to deal Evans if I can find that guy in the room that screams sucker. I can get a lot closer to Evans value then any where near Mixons presumed value. Ill even take it a step further. If I kept a Mixon at was stuck with using Jimmy Graham in flex position I would be okay based on picking up the multitude of mid-range WRs after that.

Gotta guy on the fence about trading me Saquon Barkley for Antonio Brown immediately after the draft. Thus, I would be starting my draft out with Barkley and Mike Evans as my keepers.

I know people on this thread dont have much faith in Mike Evans, but he is a target monster (10 ten in targets last year) and his TD rate is likely to go up from last year.

So with those 2 guys to start the draft do I pick Mixon or Michael Thomas at the 2 spot? Thomas probably fills the WR1 role lost by trading AB, but it seems like WR is the easiest position to fill this year. Mixon would be a solid RB2 with potential keeper status and RB1 status if things work out for him this year.

You traded Brown for a rookie on the Giants ? :shocking:

Possibly. I can only have a keeper for 3 years so this is my year to trade for value or I lose AB to the pool and get nothing in return. In my standard league I need a top tier RB.

So the other guy would be trading you 3 years of Barkley for one of AB? Take it and run home, don't stop till you get there...

So the other guy would be trading you 3 years of Barkley for one of AB? Take it and run home, don't stop till you get there...

He would get 3 years of AB also, unless you think AB only has 1 year of greatness left. I think AB still has 5 years left in him. Even after Big Ben retires, his skill set ensures he will be one of the best still.

That makes a little more sense. I still think its a slam dunk from your end if you lose him after the year.

• Like 1