Sign in to follow this  
tubby_mcgee

Some are calling Le'Veon Bell a genius.

55 minutes ago, MDC said:

Bell just got $35m guaranteed from the Jets vs the $14m base salary the Steelers would have paid lass season and the $10m guaranteed they offered him in a new contract. Looks like he’s up around $10m in guaranteed money for taking a yearlong vacation and avoiding the risk of wearing himself down without a long term deal.

Seems like Bell won here and Pittsburgh lost, bigly.

He forsook the $14m salary from last year, that money is gone, he will never see it.

Would he have still received the #35m deal, likely yes, maybe even more - assuming no injuries.

So net-net he gave up earning of $14m to avoid losing access to the eventual $35m

3 minutes ago, Ray Lewis's Limo Driver said:

He forsook the $14m salary from last year, that money is gone, he will never see it.

Would he have still received the #35m deal, likely yes, maybe even more - assuming no injuries.

So net-net he gave up earning of $14m to avoid losing access to the eventual $35m

The risk of injury is what players really hate about the franchise tag. If Bell plays last year and tears an ACL or whatever he gets nothing. Can’t blame him for not wanting to absorb another 400+ touches on a 1-year contract. 

Between Bell and Brown the Steelers really did a number on their offense the past two seasons.

12 minutes ago, MDC said:

The risk of injury is what players really hate about the franchise tag. If Bell plays last year and tears an ACL or whatever he gets nothing. Can’t blame him for not wanting to absorb another 400+ touches on a 1-year contract. 

Between Bell and Brown the Steelers really did a number on their offense the past two seasons.

My point is simply this, he gave up $14m worth of life earnings to avoid risk, that is money he will never see or have.

He still accessed the money he was likely going to eventually have access too, and perhaps may have even gotten less than had he played.

3 minutes ago, Ray Lewis's Limo Driver said:

My point is simply this, he gave up $14m worth of life earnings to avoid risk, that is money he will never see or have.

He still accessed the money he was likely going to eventually have access too, and perhaps may have even gotten less than had he played.

It's weird that you have to explain it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ray Lewis's Limo Driver said:

Given the way the Steelers were running him into the ground without a long term deal I can’t blame him for forgoing a year of salary for a significantly bigger payout and security, especially at the RB position.

Just now, MDC said:

Given the way the Steelers were running him into the ground without a long term deal I can’t blame him for forgoing a year of salary for a significantly bigger payout and security, especially at the RB position.

This.  It isn't like he didn't try to work with the Steelers.  He played on the franchise tag the year before.  It was clear what the Steelers were doing.  They were going to run him in to the ground and then cut him.  He just realized what they were doing and said if you're going to do that you have to give me a real contract.  The Steelers didn't do that and here we are.

3 minutes ago, Strike said:

This.  It isn't like he didn't try to work with the Steelers.  He played on the franchise tag the year before.  It was clear what the Steelers were doing.  They were going to run him in to the ground and then cut him.  He just realized what they were doing and said if you're going to do that you have to give me a real contract.  The Steelers didn't do that and here we are.

I do not disagree.  Not sure if this qualifies him for "genius" status.  Perhaps a better assessment might be that he stood firm to pursue the best route available to him, and saw it through.

Meh. I think we all understand the choice he had. Approximately speaking and for simplicity:

• Option A (playing last year) = guaranteed $14m up to $49m
  • Option B (sit) = guaranteed $35m

Obviously everyone would love the $49m, but trying for it comes with a $35m risk. I like to gamble more than most, but I believe Option B to be a more financially sound decision. Others obviously disagree.

9 minutes ago, Ray Lewis's Limo Driver said:

I do not disagree.  Not sure if this qualifies him for "genius" status.  Perhaps a better assessment might be that he stood firm to pursue the best route available to him, and saw it through.

No one on this board has called him a genius.  That's from an article linked from the first post. 

11 minutes ago, Strike said:

No one on this board has called him a genius.  That's from an article linked from the first post. 

Agree. And it also seems as though we agree on the notion of the assertion as well.

1 hour ago, Ray Lewis's Limo Driver said:

Not sure if this qualifies him for "genius" status. 

neither does your posting.

8 minutes ago, taco breath said:

neither does your posting.

Luckily there was no claim to that status, so we are all set.  :cheers:

On 3/13/2019 at 9:36 AM, Reality said:

So, Le'Veon set 14.5 million dollars on fire and signed a contract for less..

Solid work. 

:doh:

Exactly what most of us figured would happen, gotta wonder who is advising these dipsh!ts... Him playing for this perennial bottom dweller should work out swimmingly..  2 years from now the Jets will be looking to unload this dude.

Nailed it.

Read this thread if you want a good laugh.

Bump

On 10/13/2020 at 9:17 PM, Reality said:

Nailed it.

Read this thread if you want a good laugh.

Went to the Antonio Brown school of stoopid

• Haha 1

Super bowl rings are nothing to laugh at.

Idiots,

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, taco breath said:

Idiots,

Neither Le'Veon Bell or Antonio Brown have a Super Bowl ring.

10 or 15 years from know we gonna see a 30 for 30 about AB or LB where they suckin cacks for weed money

14 hours ago, taco breath said:

Idiots,

Too bad neither one has one :lol: 

On 7/14/2022 at 8:53 PM, RLLD said:

I wonder if those who did not get it back then when I tried to explain his mistake will understand it now.....

Nah, even though Le'Veon admits it was a terrible decision. You'll never see these folks back in here admitting how wrong they were.

All-time dumb dumb decision.

I was wrong about Bell - didn’t work out for him and in hindsight it was the wrong decision. :thumbsup: 

I guess I never chimed in on this thread, which I think is odd. I don’t believe I would have been in favor of him sitting out but back then I probably would have understood where he was coming from given 

1. it was going to be his 2nd tag

2. the shelf life of RBs 

3. his historical high usage in Pitt and the notion they could run him into the ground and then move on to Conner. 

I don’t recall what the tag money would have been nor what he got from the Jets without looking it up. I think it was 14 or 15 million for the tag and the Jets definitely have him over 50 million. Did he see all of that money? He was there for less than 2 years before being cut. I’m sure a lot of it was guaranteed. I remember he had 11 or 1200 yards and a handful of scores with Jets and a decent amount of receptions that first year. … Adam Gase though. 

it kind of feels like money wise he did better than he would have in terms of per year $ over 2018/2019 so I guess he feels like if he could go back in time and stay on that Steelers team, he would have remained an elite back a little longer? He’s certain they would have coke to terms on an extension? It’s not like he missed out on a super bowl after he left. Maybe he thinks if he signed the tag he would have been more attractive in 2019 to a better team?  

tough to say. but the reality is sitting out a full year is a rarely a good thing. 

53 minutes ago, MDC said:

I was wrong about Bell - didn’t work out for him and in hindsight it was the wrong decision. :thumbsup: 

Well, look at you. :cheers:

1 minute ago, WhiteWonder said:

I guess I never chimed in on this thread, which I think is odd. I don’t believe I would have been in favor of him sitting out but back then I probably would have understood where he was coming from given 

1. it was going to be his 2nd tag

2. the shelf life of RBs 

3. his historical high usage in Pitt and the notion they could run him into the ground and then move on to Conner. 

I don’t recall what the tag money would have been nor what he got from the Jets without looking it up. I think it was 14 or 15 million for the tag and the Jets definitely have him over 50 million. Did he see all of that money? He was there for less than 2 years before being cut. I’m sure a lot of it was guaranteed. I remember he had 11 or 1200 yards and a handful of scores with Jets and a decent amount of receptions that first year. … Adam Gase though. 

it kind of feels like money wise he did better than he would like have in terms of per year $ over 2018/2019 so I guess he feels like if he could go back in time and stay on that Steelers team, he would have remained an elite back a little longer? He’s certain they would have coke to terms on an extension? It’s not like he missed out on a super bowl after he left. Maybe he thinks if he signed the tag he would have been more attractive in 2019 to a better team?  

tough to say. 

He did worse money wise, he got 28 million total from the Jets and sat a full year. Sitting the full year was just a brutal decision and $$ he can never recover.

4 minutes ago, Reality said:

He did worse money wise, he got 28 million total from the Jets and sat a full year. Sitting the full year was just a brutal decision and $$ he can never recover.

I don’t disagree. Sitting a full year is not the smart move. But I looked it up and it sounds like he got 35 million guaranteed from the Jets in 2019. He would have been playing on a 14 million deal in 2018. So if he played on that tag, he would have needed a 21 million guarantee on his next contract. 

I was just saying on a per year basis for 18/19 he got 17.5 million per as opposed to 14 million and then ??? We will never know. 

22 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

I don’t disagree. Sitting a full year is not the smart move. But I looked it up and it sounds like he got 35 million guaranteed from the Jets in 2019. He would have been playing on a 14 million deal in 2018. So if he played on that tag, he would have needed a 21 million guarantee on his next contract. 

I was just saying on a per year basis for 18/19 he got 17.5 million per as opposed to 14 million and then ??? We will never know. 

He got 28 million from the Jets. Feel free to look it up, I'm on the run.

7 minutes ago, Reality said:

He got 28 million from the Jets. Feel free to look it up, I'm on the run.

👍🏼  I saw multiple reports that the Jets gave him 35 guaranteed but now I see an article from the sporting news after he was signed by the chiefs that has his pay breakdown totaling 28 guaranteed. 

sitting out was always a bad idea but yes, that extra 7 million does negate the idea that he did better on a theoretical per year basis. 

somehow though, I doubt his career would have been extended too much beyond 2020

Y’all gonna watch him fight Adrian Peterson in a boxing match July 30th? I give the slight edge to AD cause he’s been practicing on his kids

he prolly dodged the CTEs too.

smart guy.  :thumbsup: