Sign in to follow this  
fostersfutbol

Ethics Question

So.... if my week 1 opponent didn't draft a K or DST, and has failed to fill those spots by Saturday morning, is it ethically wrong to go in and pick up and drop every available DST and K playing on Sunday so that they go on Waivers until Mon? I'm torn... feels shady, but on the other hand, it's his bad for not filling his roster and if the tool allows it.....

I'm not going to do it, but I thought it was an interesting question.

• Like 1

Usually you have to hold the player (D or K) for 24 hours until they are placed on waivers as if it's an immediate pickup and drop they will just go back as free agents. It's a good rule so sleezy moves like this aren't possible.

Now grabbing a great defense or even two to keep them away from your opponent who doesn't own one is good coaching IMO.

• Like 1

Its a douche move, play the game in which its intended.

lol, agreed it's for sure a douche move.... I had just never seen or thought about it before... I'm not going to do it.

Usually you have to hold the player (D or K) for 24 hours until they are placed on waivers as if it's an immediate pickup and drop they will just go back as free agents. It's a good rule so sleezy moves like this aren't possible.

Now grabbing a great defense or even two to keep them away from your opponent who doesn't own one is good coaching IMO.

agreed! And I hope you're right that the tools don't allow it.

I have no problems with blocking other teams from getting players by getting them myself. But we only have blind bid pickups once a week. So we need the $$ and the roster space. But using the tactic you mentioned on a web site would probably be something that would get you kicked out of the league, no? But you could try it with one team to test your theory. Then report it to the league as a loophole.

I know on Yahoo this is impossible tactic to pull unless you have a 50 man roster because of the 24 hours required for a player to go on waivers

Churning the waiver wire is absolutely a move. Set your leagues up so you have a maximum amount of moves per week to prevent this and or add a rule.

Picking up a player and holding him to block a team is fair game.

Picking up and immediately dropping players to block a team from picking up anyone is a no-no.

Two things...

1. While it is kind of a move, shame on the other owner for putting himself in that position. The other guy is mismanaging his team, and you would be taking advantage of that,
  2. Why would your league have no consequences or cost for you to churn the waiver players. Our league charges $ for each drop/add. Other leagues give you a limit per season. You guys need to fix that.

Two things...

1. While it is kind of a ###### move, shame on the other owner for putting himself in that position. The other guy is mismanaging his team, and you would be taking advantage of that,
  2. Why would your league have no consequences or cost for you to churn the waiver players. Our league charges $ for each drop/add. Other leagues give you a limit per season. You guys need to fix that.

Wrong. It's the other owner's team, and his decision to make. If I want to forego a kicker and DST because I value other positions more, or I'm trying to work a trade, or whatever the reason might be...it's my decision to make. If I want to not start both of them because I value those players, again, my choice.

That being said, churning the players is a doosh move...fun topic...but doosh move.

Come on Man

Your leagues commissioner should mandate that all teams have a starting line-up before the draft is over. At least thats how we do it in my Salary Cap league. And yeah its a douche move :nono:

Plenty of times I drafted nothing but QB, RB, WR, and TE & left my K & D empty until right before kickoff of Week 1. It's a decent strategy to hold onto as much position talent as possible before adding a K & D which you can stream all year.

• Like 1

Yeah don't do it... now if you picked them up and kept them on your bench through the weekend (sacrificing some of your bench players) it would be slightly less douchey

Mandate a starting lineup? BS! I never draft a defense or kicker. I stream them, so taking flyers on longshots like Conner & Morris feels like winning the lotto. S I'll meyimes waiting for the defense & kicker till late is best when you consider weather.

Your leagues commissioner should mandate that all teams have a starting line-up before the draft is over. At least thats how we do it in my Salary Cap league. And yeah its a douche move :nono:

Mandate a starting lineup? BS! I never draft a defense or kicker. I stream them, so taking flyers on longshots like Conner & Morris feels like winning the lotto. S I'll meyimes waiting for the defense & kicker till late is best when you consider weather.

Agreed with erknjerk. In the league I commish, you don't have to have a full starting lineup after the draft. But you do have to field a full starting lineup each week (of guys not on byes or not out for more than a week). We have two IDP slots, 12 teamer, which means I will often sail through the draft grabbing a couple flyer RBs or WRs in those last rounds, see who pans out the rest of the preseason, and then grab two IDPs in the last few days before the season. Nothing unfair in that, or really dangerous to me. Grabbed Kamara that way last year. (And then stupidly dropped him in an emergency due to the hurricane week 1, and never got him back, but let's ignore that part of the story.)

don't give a S what others are saying....If you system allows this, it's an ABSOLUTELY valid move to make. Nothing whatsoever unethical about it. Ethics has nothing to do with this. It's a game, not real life. You goal is to win within the system/rules. That's it.

Most systems do not allow you to do this (as others have pointed out), but if they do, do it. You opponent is likely holding 2 extra players until right before the games start in order to purposefully make it so no one else can pick them up before their games start, thus forcing them to waivers for the next week. I've done that a million times in order to prevent another team from picking them up if my waiver spot is higher than theirs (in leagues where waivers do not reset). If you twart them from doing this by adding K/DST's then dropping, do it. You aren't being unethical, you are being smart (which is the RIGHT thing to do).

If you have limited roster size and don't draft a K or Dee don't you have to drop 2 players in order to have a full line-up? There will be better PKs and Dees available during the draft. Besides stud defenses have won leagues. Also, if you play with one or two empty roster spots aren't you being less competitive? Just some thoughts.

...and if you really wanna get sketchy and the league allows it, put 2 hours aside tonight to pickup and drop every available QB, RB, WT, TE, D, and K so every team's rosters are locked 24 hours before 1 PM kickoff. That'd be fun.

Ethics has nothing to do with this. It's a game, not real life.

Games are one of the many things we do in real life. If ethics applies to life, it applies to the things we do in life. Why not go to work and say "this is work, not real life", or go to school and say "this is school, not real life"..."this is driving a car, not real life", "this is investing in the stock market, not real life", "this is just sleeping with my neighbor's wife, not real life". :) Think about it--if you are evaluating someone else's character, why should we set aside their behavior some of the time and not other times?

Not saying you have to agree with what anyone else is saying. But it's a totally artificial distinction to separate this one activity you do from 'real life'. There are tons of things you can do when playing poker, for example, that aren't against written rules, but are widely viewed as unethical (talking about the current hand, splashing the pot, etc). And you won't really hear people playing for money in poker saying "hey, it's just a game, not real life."

Different games have rules in which we sometimes suspend what seems to be a rule of ethics--deceiving someone in poker, punching someone in boxing. But it's not because 'it's just a game' that those are allowed.

don't give a S what others are saying....If you system allows this, it's an ABSOLUTELY valid move to make. Nothing whatsoever unethical about it. Ethics has nothing to do with this. It's a game, not real life. You goal is to win within the system/rules. That's it.

Most systems do not allow you to do this (as others have pointed out), but if they do, do it. You opponent is likely holding 2 extra players until right before the games start in order to purposefully make it so no one else can pick them up before their games start, thus forcing them to waivers for the next week. I've done that a million times in order to prevent another team from picking them up if my waiver spot is higher than theirs (in leagues where waivers do not reset). If you twart them from doing this by adding K/DST's then dropping, do it. You aren't being unethical, you are being smart (which is the RIGHT thing to do).

The flip side is that the guy gets the last pick at D and Kicker, so he should technically be at a disadvantage at those spots. Like someone else said, he might as well pick up and drop every single player at every single position just to make sure no one ever gets them once waivers are cleared. There are typically specific rules to prevent this type of behavior. If a league doesn't have these rules, then it's only because no one was as big of a douche as someone like you to pull this off. As soon as he does this, the league will put rules in place to prevent it.

The points you made are pretty weak, so not only are you an obvious douche, you aren't very bright either.

Lol no, you pull this in my league and I lock you from making any transactions and you can whine or leave if you want, you wouldnt be invited back either way. Its not some game of life or death, its FF. Nancy from accounting just won because her kicker had 22 and your top 3 players got hurt or fell down at the wrong time. Not to be taken seriously.

Just dont roster churn, end of discussion.

This has been a pretty entertaining thread to read!!😃

Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do it, even if it's not against the he rules.

It's not illegal to pick up a hammer and smash your TV with it. But you probably SHOULDN'T do it.

Pretty much the same principle applies here!😃

• Like 1

This has been a pretty entertaining thread to read!!

Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do it, even if it's not against the he rules.

It's not illegal to pick up a hammer and smash your TV with it. But you probably SHOULDN'T do it.

Pretty much the same principle applies here!

You mean, we shouldn't try to screw over anyone and everyone in life even if it isn't illegal?

Yeah, go for it.

Just prepare for that teams Owner to come to your house, punch you in the face and then tell you good game.

Play it straight.