Sign in to follow this  
joeshmoemt

IR Question Re: Bell

Good morning everybody,

Just a quick question, in the league I am in, I have Bell and have him in my IR position (our league rules state that a player has to be listed as "out" to be on IR, but doesn't specify that it has to be an injury). I have heard some grumbling about it since he isn't actually hurt. I don't want to be "that guy", but I also don't want to do something just because some guys are butt hurt about it. Long standing league (15 years), and we all have known each other for many years otherwise.

In your opinions, should I roster Bell on my active/bench roster, or is it permissible to carry him on IR?

Thanks, I appreciate the input!

Why does this question keep coming up? Did his team put him on IR? It's not very difficult. Amazing how many people try to pull one over on their league, but they would bltch and cry if someone else D is the same thing

I am in 2 leagues. He is on IR in both. No one cares because it's legal. I have fornette on ir. Rules state if he is out he can be put on IR.

It doesnt really matter. It should have been discussed upfront or at least earlier in the year once it was clear that he was not going to show up week 1. Keep him in IR. Make sure it gets discussed next year before the draft.

These guys arent victims either. You picked a guy who has not played yet. And...when he comes back, there is nothing saying that he has to be what he was before.

As the commish for my league, I contacted ESPN about that designation. They replied, the team placed that designation on Bell and there was nothing they could do. I suggested they should create a new designation for contract holdouts like those players suspended, with no reply to that. Now, since the rule states a player must have an “out” designation to be placed on IR, there is nothing that can be done this year.

I will be proposing the “LeVeon Bell” rules change next year to specifically state that players that are contract holdouts cannot be placed on IR even with an official “Out” designation.

Thanks everyone, I have struggled with this since it was brought up. I figured "out was out", but I'm sure there needs to be some clarification. If the league wants to implement a "LeVeon Bell" rule, I would absolutely accept that. There always seems to be some exception to the rules, and I guess the best we can do is address them as they arise.

Yep. The dream is to preempt everything. But sometimes it just does not happen. And hell, most folks thought Bell was going to show up in the first few weeks.

in my leagues it's pretty simple. the website/espn's designations rule. it is specifically NOT the commish's job to police things like out and IR designations any more than it is to police position designations (ie: if a player is designated as a rb/te then he can be put in the te spot whether he actually has not played a snap all year at TE). the commish has a life and it's up to the website to do that.

so, put him in your IR spot. next time it'll be someone else that benefits from the silly designation and everyone is playing by the same rules

Thanks everyone, I have struggled with this since it was brought up. I figured "out was out", but I'm sure there needs to be some clarification. If the league wants to implement a "LeVeon Bell" rule, I would absolutely accept that. There always seems to be some exception to the rules, and I guess the best we can do is address them as they arise.

If you are going to split hairs about out is out or not, keep in mind there are bereavement exemptions, suspensions, etc. once the rule is established, not unethical in the least to take full advantage ... I grabbed Winston in several leagues and IRd him through his suspension ... anyone was welcome too, and the Bell, Edelman, Hurst, Turbin, etc owners all are doing the same thing.

Every league I've ever played in that had an IR spot you could only use that spot for an injured player. I was self policed, the commish didn't have to point it out. But it was also clearly stated in the league rules that it was only for injured players.

I wouldn’t piss off a bunch of my friends over it. It wont matter to your lineup. You will be dropping the last guy on your bench whoop dee doo.

If the team puts him on IR and the NFL is ok with that why would there be any problem with using it in your league?

We adress this with our bylaws: only players w the IR designation can go to your IR slot. S (suspended), Out and exempt going onto IR are not allowed.

Just a follow up, I moved Bell to my active roster (since I would have to soon anyway). Tried to trade my 4th RB (Carson), no takers, so dropped him. Added D'onta Freeman to my IR since he may come back beginning of November, and Lamar Miller is stinking up the place. Thanks again for all the opinions and advice, greatly appreciated!

If the team puts him on IR and the NFL is ok with that why would there be any problem with using it in your league?

Are you saying you think Bell is on Steelers IR? I don't think he's even on a team technically because he didn't sign this year's offer.

Are you saying you think Bell is on Steelers IR? I don't think he's even on a team technically because he didn't sign this year's offer.

Three player statuses qualify for IR. They are IR, OUT and PUP. He falls under the out part of IR. So yes. Yes they did.

Im fine with players who are out being on IR but people who drafted Bell shouldnt be rewarded with an easy crutch. They should be forced to have that taking up a roster spot.

Meh, if my opponent puts their 1st rd draft pick on ir, that's probably a good thing for me. It's not like they got to put him on ir and pick up Kamara. At most drafts, nobody really knew how long he would stay out. Most reports at the time said he would be there week 1, then week 4, then week 10. If they have Bell on ir, and have picked up J. William's as a replacement, what's the big deal?