Sign in to follow this  
TBayXXXVII

Nick Foles (NFL not Fantasy)

Sadly, I've had part in hijacking the Mitch Trubisky thread, so I'm ending this discussion in that thread and giving it it's own. Some seem to think that Nick Foles is a starter in the NFL and will get a job next season. I don't see it... neither do about 90% (or more), Eagles fans who've seen him play A LOT. That said, here's a list of the leagues QB's and in parenthesis a notable backup and possible future starter. Please tell me which of these 32 teams are going to hand Nick Foles a 3+ year deal where he will be the unquestioned starter (barring injuries), next season. Me? I don't see any. I see a few places where the team has an old or oft-injured QB and they'd want a reliable backup like New England, Green Bay, NY Giants, or LA Chargers, but I don't see a sign-to-start opportunity anywhere. What say you?

Arizona Cardinals: Josh Rosen
Atlanta Falcons: Matt Ryan
Baltimore Ravens: Joe Flacco (Lamar Jackson)
Buffalo Bills: Josh Allen
Carolina Panthers: Cam Newton
Chicago Bears: Mitch Trubisky
Cincinnati Bengals: Andy Dalton
Cleveland Browns: Baker Mayfield
Dallas Cowboys: Dak Prescott
Denver Broncos: Case Keenum
Detroit Lions: Matthew Stafford
Green Bay Packers: Aaron Rodgers
Houston Texans: Deshaun Watson
Indianapolis Colts: Andrew Luck (Jacoby Brissett)
Jacksonville Jaguars: Blake Bortles
Kansas City Chiefs: Pat Mahomes
Los Angeles Chargers: Philip Rivers
Los Angeles Rams: Jared Goff
Miami Dolphins: Ryan Tannehill
Minnesota Vikings: Kirk Cousins
New England Patriots: Tom Brady
New Orleans Saints: Drew Brees (Teddy Bridgewater)
New York Giants: Eli Manning (Kyle Lauletta)
New York Jets: Sam Darnold
Oakland Raiders: Derek Carr
Philadelphia Eagles: Carson Wentz
Pittsburgh Steelers: Ben Roethlisberger (Mason Rudolph)
San Francisco 49ers: Jimmy Garoppolo
Seattle Seahawks: Russell Wilson
Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Jameis Winston
Tennessee Titans: Marcus Mariota
Washington Redskins: Alex Smith

About the only way he gets a starting job is if Miami/NYG/Tampa move on from their QB, spend a high draft pick on one, and want a vet to open the season.

Its possible that Jacksonville will get tired of Blake Bortles. The giants could be ripe for selecting a QB to replace Eli with very soon. Maybe Tampa bay. Or, if any of the rookies reall flame out badly you could see a move.

Just hard to believe that Foles will stay a backup for that long.

No, Tampa isn't an option. The group that is in place right now drafted Winston. There's no outcome that leads Foles to Tampa. People will lose their jobs and the new people will go get their own guy in the draft. They won't spend $20M+ AAV on a guy like Foles when they can just keep Fitzpatrick for like $5-7M as a stop gap for the rookie.

OP, point well taken.

No dispute here, although things do change.

I do think Foles is better than..

Tanne, J Allen, Carr, and Mariotta and on par with Dalton but considering circumstances I do agree and see no movement prior to next season.

Super Bowl MVP. His career numbers say he is a starter. It's laughable that everyone ignores the numbers here. Makes no sense

Because we "watched" the games. Seriously, 90% of Eagles fans don't even think he's a starter.

Eagles fan here. Foles is like a big jet. He needs the right pilot, a long runway, and time to climb, when he hits altitude he f’ng rips.

Because we "watched" the games. Seriously, 90% of Eagles fans don't even think he's a starter.

I dont trust the average meat head Eagles fan judgment. His numbers and Super Bowl MVP prove we can't trust Eagles fans and their judgment.

I would say the Giants, but there is no way they're letting Eli retire in the next 10-20 years.

Super Bowl MVP. His career numbers say he is a starter. It's laughable that everyone ignores the numbers here. Makes no sense

Shoots, some people would even say HOF with these credentials.

Think we'll have to wait for the season to play out before you can say where the opportunities will be. His stock has definitely dropped, I think, due to his start this year, fair or not. Most likely scenario would be to be brought in as a starter with the a rookie similar to Sam Bradford/ Tyrod Taylor. But some chance he lands somewhere with a bit better chance to keep job, maybe starter in front of a second or 3rd rounder for example, or a team looking to rebuild with a focus on other positions.

1 fluke year of stats. Rest crap.

Its laughable? What world do you live in?

1 fluke year of stats. Rest crap.

Its laughable? What world do you live in?

The one where Nick Foles is a Super Bowl MVP. It's laughable that you guys cant see he is worthy of starting in the NFL.

Pretty irrelevant. If I am recalling correctly, he has already considered retirement, and wants to be a pastor. He has nothing to add in the NFL. I dont think hed want a starting role (nor do I think hed be good.)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/110035244

Oh, I think he'll take a starting job if offered one - that I'm not questioning. I however question that he'd ever get that opportunity.

Pretty irrelevant. If I am recalling correctly, he has already considered retirement, and wants to be a pastor. He has nothing to add in the NFL. I dont think hed want a starting role (nor do I think hed be good.)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/110035244

Maybe he would rather do something else. He has the talent to be a starting qb. That's fact. People acting like it isn't fact have no business discussing football

Foles is a low end starter, and awesome backup. I would think a team like Jax would rather go into battle with him as opposed to Bortles

The one where Nick Foles is a Super Bowl MVP. It's laughable that you guys cant see he is worthy of starting in the NFL.

Worthy of a low end starting QB probably a bridge QB? Sure if that is the argument then I agree with you.

But why would any team go out and grab him to bee their unquestioned starter? Why wouldnt a team who wanted a QB just draft one then?

SB MVP hell of a small little run. He stepped up. Where was he the last 7 years?

Foles can be a low level bridge starting QB for a year or 2. Thats fair.

Foles is a low end starter, and awesome backup. I would think a team like Jax would rather go into battle with him as opposed to Bortles

Yeah this. Top end backup. Low end starter stop gap at his age.

I think your definition of a starting QB is different than ours. To me, if you're a "starting QB", someone will give you something like a 5-yr / $100M deal. That contract for Nick Foles doesn't exist. If you think he'll get a "Tyrod Taylor job" or "Sam Bradford job", then I agree with you. Though, all that is is a glorified backup. A "stop gap" starter isn't an "NFL starter", he's a backup who's currently holding the job for someone else.

If that were true, they could have just given the Eagles a draft pick in April and already have him. Instead, at the end of this past February, they gave Bortles an extension with $25.6M guaranteed. If they would have rather had Foles, they could have just not extended Bortles (because they didn't need to as he was still under contract), and gave the Eagles a 2nd round pick (maybe 1st), for Foles and gave him the big deal instead of Bortles.

True, I think Jax will regret pushing their chips in with Bortles

True, I think Jax will regret pushing their chips in with Bortles

Bortles is an "ok" QB. He's nothing special, but he's fine... I believe. I don't think Foles would be considered an upgrade. To me, that's having 2 of the same guy at the same time (even though I do believe Bortles is a bit better). Having that when they're both $5M is great. Having that when they're both $20M is how you get fired as a GM.