Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Should parents spank their kids?

Its been a big debate among parents for a while now but do you think parents should spank their kids? Or would alternative forms of punishments be better?

Only if you want to turn them into flamers.

Ha! Thanks. Dam autocorrect. Completely changed the word. Happened again when I tried to correct it

I was spanked as a kid, not a lot but a few times I can remember with a belt and pants down. Left welts. I think that's focked up and as a parent, I vowed never to spank my kid. When my daughter was a toddler there were times I would swat her on her diaper and say no to correct some misbehavior but it was never hard and luckily overall she was a great kid.

I'm opposed to it, at least to it being done the way it was on me.

If the only way you know how to correct your kids behavior is hitting them, you probably shouldn't be a parent.

If the only way you know how to correct your kids behavior is hitting them, you probably shouldn't be a parent.

Spanking isn't hitting your child. A healthy fear of your parents (yes that's plural) is a good thing.

• Like 1

Only if you want to turn them into flamers.

I though the folk wisdom is gays weren't beaten enough as kids. (Not that I follow that).

All you have to do is look at the Millenials to see what a no spanking generation looks like.

This

There is no one size fits all approach to parenting. I have seen parents psychologically f with their kids that would be far worse than a spanking.

Spanking isn't hitting your child. A healthy fear of your parents (yes that's plural) is a good thing.

If you say so. Using your hands as a method to inflict pain on someone else is hitting. No grey area.

"bring one's hand or a tool or weapon into contact with (someone or something) quickly and forcefully." -Webster

All you have to do is look at the Millenials to see what a no spanking generation looks like.

we have a winner

I think yes, there are times where corporal punishment can be justified. It's not an every time thing, or an all the time thing.

Yelling is another tactic i use sparingly. The wife loves to yell, its her go-to, and will get annoyed with me that I tend to not yell. I always tell her..." I don't have to yell, I am in charge..." the point is valid, but also if you start at yelling what is your escalation point? Especially if spanking is not on the table. I am at the point where if I even stand up the kids act as if violence is on the way, even though it never is.

Also, empty threats, dumb....if i say that I am going to do something or not do something i stick to that sh!t, I dont make empty threats to "get their attention" or whatever. I tell my kids that they need me alot more than I need them, and if they dont feel obligated to comply with my requests, they dont get sh!t from me, and they always need something.

We have two methods in the MD house.

For general disrespect or not listening... Stand in a corner for 3 minutes holding a book or small weight over your head. Talking or complaining adds another minute.

For ongoing whining and complaining or general bad behavior... Take away all electronics and extra curricular activities for a week. It's basically go to school, do homework, eat dinner, read or draw for an hour and then bed.

When they go full emo and dont care and tell you to fock off. Bad grades..etc. what do you do then?

Can you call the cops on your kid?

15 or 16 yrs old?

This week on dr. Phillybear

When they go full emo and dont care and tell you to fock off. Bad grades..etc. what do you do then?

Can you call the cops on your kid?

15 or 16 yrs old?

This week on dr. Phillybear

What is spanking a 15-16 year old going to do, LOL? They're just going to laugh in your face.

There's really nothing you can do at that point, besides encourage them to meet their potential, understanding it's just a phase probably 50% of kids go through. I guess you can send them away to boarding school?

There is no one size fits all approach to parenting. I have seen parents psychologically f with their kids that would be far worse than a spanking.

This is absolutely the answer

Kids should respect their parents not fear them..

There is a difference

boom. this. look at the sissy liberals saying no spanking...mobb deep and bandrus. i may even have to kick my kids asses on a daily basis in hopes they don't turn out like them.

Never. There's no reason for it. I was spanked with switches, belts, etc. It was fairly common in the 60's/70's, but it was still abuse.

Kids are the smallest, weakest, least defensive people on the planet, yet they're the only people we're legally allowed to hit.

What would happen if you gave an ass whoopin' to the neighborhood bully for being a pr!ck to your kid? You'd be thrown in jail for child abuse and treated accordingly inside.

But if you whooped your own son's ass for being a pr!ck to the bully, you're good to go.

What is spanking a 15-16 year old going to do, LOL? They're just going to laugh in your face.

Wrong. A friend and I got stupid when we were seniors in high school. Both of our fathers got a hold of us and it was no laughing matter.

boom. this. look at the sissy liberals saying no spanking...mobb deep and bandrus. i may even have to kick my kids asses on a daily basis in hopes they don't turn out like them.

I was only scared of my dad when I did something bad. Screw these candy-assed millennials. They need to be beaten in their adult life.

• Like 2

I got hit at school by the nuns. Then when I went home and told my parents, I got hit some more. I turned out fine. Better than most of the people here.

I got hit at school by the nuns. Then when I went home and told my parents, I got hit some more. I turned out fine. Better than most of the people here.

Did you recover from the priest?

Bent over a knee and hit? No

A pop on the rear? Okay

I'm not a parent but this is probably where I stand

I also got slapped across the face pretty good and slammed against a wall afew times as a teen and I deserved it

It was never the preferred method with my kids, but things escalated a couple times and it happened. At the levels I am talking about, a tiny swat in a severe case, its probably more traumatic for the parent than the kids.

Did you recover from the priest?

I don't get it. I was a cute kid and not one of those fockers made a play for me. I could have cleaned up with the lawsuits. But we didn't have any priests that taught and I was not allowed to be an alter boy.

Never. There's no reason for it. I was spanked with switches, belts, etc. It was fairly common in the 60's/70's, but it was still abuse.

Kids are the smallest, weakest, least defensive people on the planet, yet they're the only people we're legally allowed to hit.

What would happen if you gave an ass whoopin' to the neighborhood bully for being a pr!ck to your kid? You'd be thrown in jail for child abuse and treated accordingly inside.

But if you whooped your own son's ass for being a pr!ck to your to the bully, you're good to go.

Agree

I spank my son. He's 4. I don't beat him and I give him more than fair warning by counting him down from 3. Most of the time the counting gets him moving

We finally agree on something.

I was spanked as a kid, not a lot but a few times I can remember with a belt and pants down. Left welts. I think that's focked up and as a parent, I vowed never to spank my kid. When my daughter was a toddler there were times I would swat her on her diaper and say no to correct some misbehavior but it was never hard and luckily overall she was a great kid.

I'm opposed to it, at least to it being done the way it was on me.

Same here.

We swatted our kids on the diapered butt maybe twice in their lives. My dad used to use a belt on my bare ass. My mom never spanked, but she'd slap me across the face if I said anything that pissed her off.

I can tell you this - one time my mom punished me with a fly swatter, I laughed in her face... Then my pop got home.

2 things happened after that day:

1. I never did what it was I got in trouble for to begin with.

2. I never disrespected my mom by laughing at her.

And it wasn't bcoz my pop sat me down and had a discussion - trust me.

I can tell you this - one time my mom punished me with a fly swatter, I laughed in her face... Then my pop got home.

2 things happened after that day:

1. I never did what it was I got in trouble for to begin with.

2. I never disrespected my mom by laughing at her.

my ex won't spank our son. That being said. She effectively uses the wait till I tell your dad routine. Im ok with being the hard ass.

Swats on the backside when they are young will save you a lot of trouble when they are older.

Timeouts and taking electronics doesn't work on teenagers, they need to respect you before they reach the teenage years.

Tell me more.......

Um, it hurt really bad and I couldn't sit for days after?

Spanking isn't a deterrent. It's a means to instill fear and control kids.

I got spanked plenty as a kid and still did all the stupid teenager stuff I don't want my sons to do.