Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

How did you get into your career

Im sure most of you growing up probably didnt plan on having the job you have now. Whether thats for better or worse is I dont know. What Im curious about though is how did you go about getting into your specific career? How did you coming about starting a business doing what youre doing?

my uncle owns restaurants in NY. when i was in hs i woud spend my summers with him and his family. I would work and play. loved food.

as i got older and traveled more, i enjoy the connection between food/beverage and culture. changed careers in 01 to pursue everything food and beverage.

• Like 1

Bawls. Lots of bawls.

Boss: I'm going to put you in many places and situations that require you to be smart and then not so much. Results matter.

Me: I'm in.

FFS, what is wrong with you.

Can't hide the truth. Hillary sucked her way into politics. Prove me wrong.

Was good at STEM in HS. Being a doctor didn't seem challenging enough so I went into engineering. :cheers:

• Like 4

Did well on the ASVAB, recruiter told me to pick my job. Came down to linguist or IT. Chose IT as I figured it had more potential outside of the military.

I was approached by a large firework company to use my warehouse as a retail outlet( I got a % of sales and had to pay my employees out of that) they furnished all product,cash registers,advertising etc. I had signed a 5 year contract with them and they taught me a lot except I didn't like their policies on refunds and how customers were being treated so after my contract was up I broke off and started my own business.

• Like 1

Was good at STEM in HS. Being a doctor didn't seem challenging enough so I went into engineering. :cheers:

:overhead:

:overhead:

Seriously tho, I did not like biology in HS; I found it very rote memorization-focused which I didn't like. Perhaps it was the way my particular teacher taught it, dunno. But I never even bothered to take Bio 2. Chemistry was OK. But my physics teacher was a former industry engineer who was my favorite HS teacher, and that shaped my path.

Started out on fries...worked my way up to counter...then assistant manager. Knocked up the owners only daughter married her...when he kicked off...inherited his 5 stores.

The american way!!

• Like 1

Started in the mailroom of a natural gas pipeline company, worked my way up into the operations group, then moved over to the other side of the business (customers of the pipeline), ultimately leading to trading....where I currently sit, raking in uber geek level dough.

• Like 1

Little background...

I was 15 in high school (August 1990), when my son was born (mother was 17 :thumbsup: ). She did have "issues" though. They grew into harder things and she overdosed when our son was only 14 months old. At 16+, I dropped out of high school and got a full-time job working at a grocery store that offered really good benefits. When my son started kindergarten (August 1995 - one week before his 5th birthday), I started reading up to get my G.E.D. At age 21, I finally got my G.E.D. and started looking into college. Not sure what to do, I just took the basic classes (English 101, Math 101 - that kind of thing), to get by (at the local county college). Just 1 or 2 classes a semester (sometime none), pending on what I could afford.

When my son was in 3rd grade, they had a "Career Day". It happened to be on a day I had off, so I took him to school and stayed. One of the mom's there was a nurse/nutritionist. I thought it was really interesting. I then started looking into that field as career choice. It lead me to Physical Therapy. Being a single dad, working 45-50 hours a week... without the online option that is available today, it took me 9 years to get my degree. In May 2007, I graduated from college with a bachelors degree in Exercise Science (bachelors program that is needed to enter the doctoral program to become a Licensed Physical Therapist)... one month later, my son graduated from high school.

We both worked for a year... I, still at the grocery store, and he at the department store he got when he was 16. We both qualified for grant money as well as both of us getting a few dollars in scholarship money, I only needed to get college loans for about $12k per year (total), for both us. I went part-time, he went full-time, and both of us graduated from the same college in 2012... me with my Physical Therapy degree and he, a BA in Marketing. After being a Physical Therapist for 2 years, I got my teaching certification and now I'm both a Physical Therapist, working with a major heathcare company. My hours vary as I don't have a M-F/8-5 schedule. I do work on Saturday's and Sunday's. I also teach 3 to 4 classes at the local high school, pending on the day. I don't just teach "Health". It's an elective kids can take, in lieu of their Health class. I teach them how their body actually works and how to take care of it. Essentially, I'm their anatomy, nutrition, exercise, and weight training teacher, all in one. Lesson #1 - What is the foundation of a healthy body? No one ever guesses right. Not students. Not teachers. Not parents. None ever guess what it is.

Ok. I won't keep you in suspense. I'll tell you. It's healthy teeth. Yup. I'm not kidding. Healthy teeth is the first step and foundation of a healthy body. Think about it... how does food get into your body?

• Like 4

Little background...

I was 15 in high school (August 1990), when my son was born (mother was 17 :thumbsup: ). She did have "issues" though. They grew into harder things and she overdosed when our son was only 14 months old. At 16+, I dropped out of high school and got a full-time job working at a grocery store that offered really good benefits. When my son started kindergarten (August 1995 - one week before his 5th birthday), I started reading up to get my G.E.D. At age 21, I finally got my G.E.D. and started looking into college. Not sure what to do, I just took the basic classes (English 101, Math 101 - that kind of thing), to get by (at the local county college). Just 1 or 2 classes a semester (sometime none), pending on what I could afford.

When my son was in 3rd grade, they had a "Career Day". It happened to be on a day I had off, so I took him to school and stayed. One of the mom's there was a nurse/nutritionist. I thought it was really interesting. I then started looking into that field as career choice. It lead me to Physical Therapy. Being a single dad, working 45-50 hours a week... without the online option that is available today, it took me 9 years to get my degree. In May 2007, I graduated from college with a bachelors degree in Exercise Science (bachelors program that is needed to enter the doctoral program to become a Licensed Physical Therapist)... one month later, my son graduated from high school.

We both worked for a year... I, still at the grocery store, and he at the department store he got when he was 16. We both qualified for grant money as well as both of us getting a few dollars in scholarship money, I only needed to get college loans for about $12k per year (total), for both us. I went part-time, he went full-time, and both of us graduated from the same college in 2012... me with my Physical Therapy degree and he, a BA in Marketing. After being a Physical Therapist for 2 years, I got my teaching certification and now I'm both a Physical Therapist, working with a major heathcare company. My hours vary as I don't have a M-F/8-5 schedule. I do work on Saturday's and Sunday's. I also teach 3 to 4 classes at the local high school, pending on the day. I don't just teach "Health". It's an elective kids can take, in lieu of their Health class. I teach them how their body actually works and how to take care of it. Essentially, I'm their anatomy, nutrition, exercise, and weight training teacher, all in one. Lesson #1 - What is the foundation of a healthy body? No one ever guesses right. Not students. Not teachers. Not parents. None ever guess what it is.

Ok. I won't keep you in suspense. I'll tell you. It's healthy teeth. Yup. I'm not kidding. Healthy teeth is the first step and foundation of a healthy body. Think about it... how does food get into your body?

First of all, can size (once she turned 18 of course)?

Also, this is the American dream. Work hard, get rewarded, pass along a better life to your kids. Kudos to you (and your son).

Little background...

Great story, thanks for sharing. :cheers:

First of all, can size (once she turned 18 of course)?

Also, this is the American dream. Work hard, get rewarded, pass along a better life to your kids. Kudos to you (and your son).

LOL, 34C (post pregnancy). They were perfect. :thumbsup: She was rather a rather small girl. I'm not that big either. She was only 5'-1" and tad over 100lb, before pregnancy. I'm only 5'-8".

Perseverance.... you have to not get what you want an awful lot to earn what you deserve....

lots of head

Fortunately I've never been a person of big needs. My life is also a big reason why I am in support of welfare for the people who need it, and my son's mother and he were on it up until her death. Welfare/government assistance is a great thing, but it shouldn't be abused and it should be there for you to get by, not a life long task. It's why I believe your life is what you make of it. If you want things in your life to be better, then it's up to you to do it. No one should be forced to give it to you if you're not willing to work for it yourself.

I currently trying to get fired :wave:

Keep butchering the English language and it is only a matter of time. :banana:

Keep butchering the English language and it is only a matter of time. :banana:

you wood thinked

I wasn’t trying to belittle engineering, Jerry. My dad was chem e and discouraged me.

Seriously tho, I did not like biology in HS; I found it very rote memorization-focused which I didn't like. Perhaps it was the way my particular teacher taught it, dunno. But I never even bothered to take Bio 2. Chemistry was OK. But my physics teacher was a former industry engineer who was my favorite HS teacher, and that shaped my path.

I liked physics best, too. At least until it got abstract.

I was doing property tax disputes for my father at his company when I got married. My wife's step dad was an instructor at a respiratory school and talked me into going. Been an RT ever since. RIP Smokey

No clue what I wanted to do, and nobody in our family was ever a professional anything.

My grades were mediocre, and our small country school didn't really motivate towards anything.

For "Senior Shadow Day" my cousin and I on a whim decided to reach out to the local Highway Patrol office and they let he and I ride along. Seemed pretty cool driving around. Lights, guns, etc...

So I went into Criminal Justice... got BS in CJ in 1997... started out in county corrections... then a road cop, to US Probation Officer, to a police officer again, to a violent crime special agent, to a dope special agent, to a special agent in charge. Twenty years in law enforcement this year.

As of tomorrow (my 44th birthday)... I have officially 6 years to go until I'm 1st eligible to retire... I'm fighting pretty hard to try to forget that date so I don't focus on it too much.

This career field pays well, but its rough on the mind, body, and soul.

• Like 1

I had no focking clue what I wanted to be. I knew computers would be the future way of life, so I decided to try my hand at computer engineering. Really, I didn't know a whole lot about computers, nor was I particularly interested in all the inner workings. But what the hell else was I going to go to college for? Well I ended up failing out for a few reasons. One, I was not made to be a computer engineer. The other students in my field were all math wiz kids pretty much. Wjhile I am pretty good at math, I am not a calculus type person. Two, I have a really terrible attention span. I can never just sit there and pay attention to anything class related unless it completely grabs my interest. I would sit there and demand myself pay attention. Within 2 minutes I was doodling or spacing out. My ADD is pretty epic sometimes. Three, I liked to party way too much. Joining a fraternity and drinking my ass off lead to being kicked out after 1.5 years due to grades.

I ended up working at my friend's brother in law's roofing company. Roofing focking sucks, but it was paying me more than any other job at the time. The brother of the buddy I worked with had become a pipefitter right out of high school through his uncle. I went to the hall and applied, not having a clue what a pipefitter was or did. I didn't even know that welding was such a major part of the trade. So yeah, I got in and did well in welding and the school portion. 13 years later I consider myself a pretty well rounded tradesman who works damn hard for the money.

If pipefitting went away tomorrow, I would have zero clue what to do. I could not pick a major in college right now with any kind of confidence if I had to. School was just never for me, even if I did get A's and B's in all my HS classes.

On 11/9/2018 at 11:49 AM, TBayXXXVII said:

Little background...

This is really incredible. Not one 15 year old these days would take this path.