Sign in to follow this  
TimmySmith

91% of DC METRO fare evaders are people of color

Therefore the DC Council has proposed decriminalization of fare evasion citing racial disparity in prosecution.

They have also advised METRO to beef up the gates.

:lol: Cannot hold people accountable because of their group identity....classic....

Shocking government not colleting fees is weird.

Shocking government not colleting fees is weird.

Social Justice trumps all else, logic, rationality, parasitic fee policies.... even the government will bow to what ever social justice nonsense has currency at the time....

Social Justice trumps all else, logic, rationality, parasitic fee policies.... even the government will bow to what ever social justice nonsense has currency at the time....

It's weird how much control SJW have over government. I thought nothing could stop the tax man. I guess calling him racist works.

:lol: Cannot hold people accountable because of their group identity....classic....

They held METRO accountable for creating the situation.

The article I read said the claim was that black fare evaders are more likely to be arrested than white fare evaders, a higher % of whom get citations or warnings. Nothing in the article I read backed that claim up so who knows if its true.

NY beat them to the punch. No more prosecutions of fare beaters in Manhattan. MTA says it's costing them a significant amount.

The article I read said the claim was that black fare evaders are more likely to be arrested than white fare evaders, a higher % of whom get citations or warnings. Nothing in the article I read backed that claim up so who knows if its true.

A claim that I have not seen backed up anywhere with stats. They do have cameras at each entrance, so it would make sense that the stat exists as they can clearly identify fare evaders.

They also added that fare evaders are responsible for nearly all the violence aboard METRO.

Someone has to make up the shortfall. The trains need funding.

They held METRO accountable for creating the situation.

Back in the 90's I was on that metro all the time, would see an occasional evader, did not see it happening a ton but my perspective was limited to that scant time where I was near the turnstiles. The big issue used to be them clearing the train for no apparent reason.....at focking rush hour.... :mad:

Someone has to make up the shortfall. The trains need funding.

It's actually the buses that need funding. METRO rail funds the entire public transportation system in DC, I have seen claims the greater than 90% of bus riders don't pay. No one ever talks about that.

It's actually the buses that need funding. METRO rail funds the entire public transportation system in DC, I have seen claims the greater than 90% of bus riders don't pay. No one ever talks about that.

Ok. The people using the service aren't paying for It, so someone has to make up for that shortfall. I guess the riders that do pay will see an increase first. When that doesn't cut it Mr and Mrs taxpayer will be called upon.

A claim that I have not seen backed up anywhere with stats. They do have cameras at each entrance, so it would make sense that the stat exists as they can clearly identify fare evaders.

They also added that fare evaders are responsible for nearly all the violence aboard METRO.

Just saying they arent complaining that more fare evaders are black. Theyre complaining that black fare evaders are more likely to be arrested than white fare evaders vs given a citation or warning etc. Not sure if they have a case there, Id need to read about it to have an opinion on it. I like to get all the facts first.

Just saying they arent complaining that more fare evaders are black. Theyre complaining that black fare evaders are more likely to be arrested than white fare evaders vs given a citation or warning etc. Not sure if they have a case there, Id need to read about it to have an opinion on it. I like to get all the facts first.

It would be interesting to parse this. I suspect the a full review of video, which they DO have, would likely reveal that they are actually not arresting AA's enough. This is what that same attempt in New Jersey revealed years ago when they tried this same gambit for the state police stops.

It's a solid attempt, and it will get traction, apparently already has, now the move is to accommodate criminal behavior instead of trying to fix it.

Ok. The people using the service aren't paying for It, so someone has to make up for that shortfall. I guess the riders that do pay will see an increase first. When that doesn't cut it Mr and Mrs taxpayer will be called upon.

Most regular METRO rail riders are subsidized (in part or whole) by their workplace, because it is already too expensive. So every increase is basically funded by public and private enterprise in DC. In other words, DC taxpayers.

I like to get all the facts first.

The reality that they know the facts and don't release them, pretty much tells the facts.

It would be interesting to parse this. I suspect the a full review of video, which they DO have, would likely reveal that they are actually not arresting AA's enough. This is what that same attempt in New Jersey revealed years ago when they tried this same gambit for the state police stops.

It's a solid attempt, and it will get traction, apparently already has, now the move is to accommodate criminal behavior instead of trying to fix it.

I bet they do arrest AA fare jumpers at a higher rate than whites but there could be a million reasons for it.

I was with a friend who jumped a toll in NY maybe 20 years ago and got a citation from transit police. I cant inagine its worth their while to arrest people for stealing a dollar from the transit system versus a fine.

I was with a friend who jumped a toll in NY maybe 20 years ago and got a citation from transit police. I cant inagine its worth their while to arrest people for stealing a dollar from the transit system versus a fine.

I agree that it should be a ticket and it shouldn't be a raced based decision.

I bet they do arrest AA fare jumpers at a higher rate than whites but there could be a million reasons for it.

I think we agree on this, that arresting people for it might not be the best way to go, but removing it might also increase peoples propensity to try it.....time will tell.

I am fine with assessing a fine, give them a ticket, make them show up to court maybe or pay it, no need to add to people's criminal record.

We have to allow that it is possible for some groups to have a footprint that not proportional to their level of participation, without it being racism. It is possible for a groups to be over represented without some kind of bad behavior behind it. Failure to allow this to be possible, and investigate it as such, does not really help anyone...JMHO

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Unless the content of their character leads them to being held accountable for their actions, of course....

We have to allow that it is possible for some groups to have a footprint that not proportional to their level of participation, without it being racism. It is possible for a groups to be over represented without some kind of bad behavior behind it. Failure to allow this to be possible, and investigate it as such, does not really help anyone...JMHO

Thats true. Its also possible that police are arresting versus issuing a citation for a whole lot of judgment call reasons that have nothing to do with the offense. Best way to avoid the perception of unfairness is to apply the same punishment for all fare jumpers.

Thats true. Its also possible that police are arresting versus issuing a citation for a whole lot of judgment call reasons that have nothing to do with the offense. Best way to avoid the perception of unfairness is to apply the same punishment for all fare jumpers.

Seems fare to me .... ^_^

Or maybe the blacks get belligerent when being told they're getting a citation which leads to arrest. I mean, that's the reason so many get shot. They disrespect the cop's authority escalating the situation. Why wouldn't the same thing happen here?

• Like 1

I like to get all the facts first.

Sure you do...

Or maybe the blacks get belligerent when being told they're getting a citation which leads to arrest. I mean, that's the reason so many get shot. They disrespect the cop's authority escalating the situation. Why wouldn't the same thing happen here?

Theres probably some of both: Fare evaders getting belligerent so they get arrested, and cops selectively arresting fare jumpers based on the way they look and justifying it with vague stuff like the fare jumpers attitude etc. Just issue the same punishment and theres no issue.

Ive seen enough videos of cop shootings the last couple years to know theyre not always justified. I dont think disrespect is a valid reason for cops to kill someone, but Im not a GC bootlicker.

This must be fake news... Blacks don't commit crimes...

Another CNN Breaking News Moment:

"President Donald Trump selfishly tweeted out today: "Blacks commit crimes too."

Later in the day, we can see blindfolded student protesters on the campus of University of California - Santa Cruz chanting, "No they don't!! No they don't!! No they don't!!". And so you have it."

Another CNN Breaking News Moment:

"President Donald Trump selfishly tweeted out today: "Blacks commit crimes too."

Later in the day, we can see blindfolded student protesters on the campus of University of California - Santa Cruz chanting, "No they don't!! No they don't!! No they don't!!". And so you have it."

:first:

I mean, what crimes aren’t majority from colored people? Besides high brow stuff like embezzelment.

Mass shooting.,...

Yes, their sparkling 1 crown jewel.

Then you have .....the standard stealing stuff from the employer thing....I guess

Mass shooting.,...

Why don't we classify ghetto drive-by's as mass shootings?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/may/23/mass-shootings-tracker-analysis-us-gun-control-reddit

Roughly a third of the incidents with known circumstances were drive-by shootings or were identified by law enforcement as gang-related. Another third were sparked by arguments, often among people who were drunk or high.

About one in 10 of the shootings were identified as related to domestic violence. In these shootings the majority of victims and perpetrators were white. Domestic violence incidents were also much more likely to be fatal. The 39 domestic violence cases represented 11% of the total incidents but 31% of victims who died.

The analysis, conducted by the New York Times with data collected by Reddit’s mass shooting tracker and the Gun Violence Archive, used law enforcement reports on shootings that left four or more people injured or dead in 2015.

Few of the incidents resembled the kinds of planned massacres in schools, churches and movie theaters that have attracted intense media and political attention. Instead, the analysis, defined purely by the number of victims injured, revealed that many were part of the broader burden of everyday gun violence on economically struggling neighborhoods.

Nearly 90% of the zip codes that saw mass shootings had higher-than-average poverty rates.

Why don't we classify ghetto drive-by's as mass shootings?

For the same reason we pretend that only black people are shot by cops, is placates some innate fears i guess....