Sign in to follow this  
Cdub100

Do any of you Go RVing?

With a new kid due this week our vacations will be limited to local Michigan attractions. I'm thinking about getting an RV like this one.

https://www.generalrv.com/product/new-2019-forest-river-rv-wildwood-x-lite-282qbxl-879608-29

The wife would want new one because reasons. I am aware of the massive depreciation of new RVs.

Any tips or suggestions? Uncle Eddie jokes are welcome.

No. But it is bucket list / retirement plans.

If you do please let me know. I have a RV park you will love that is within driving distance of you. 9 hole golf course. Excellent fishing. Put putt and live bands each weekend.

I have been for the last 30 years.

What do you plan on towing it with?

• Like 1

Wife has but I havent. Her parents bought an RV and they go up to the Dakotas to RV. Wanted to do it and have looked into the price of them. Not too bad honestly. When Im finished with paying off my new truck I plan on looking into purchasing one depending on the situation then (house payment, baby, jobs, etc)

I have been for the last 30 years.

What do you plan on towing it with?

I have a GMC Denali V8 6.2. That should be good right?

If you do please let me know. I have a RV park you will love that is within driving distance of you. 9 hole golf course. Excellent fishing. Put putt and live bands each weekend.

You serious clark? PM where it is.

You serious clark? PM where it is.

done. I 100 percent assure you that you will love it. Its mind blowing. Rent a golf cart. Trust me.

We go twice a year. There are places from Houston that rent campers which make more sense for us than buying.

My parents still own a camper and just bought their first new one ever. They had at least 5+ used campers before that.

Buy used.

I will repeat, buy used, except if you only think you will go a few times a year, then rent.

Thats what I was going to do if I ever bought one was to buy it used. Most of the time they rarely have any usage by the people selling them.

What are the average price of a rental one?

Thats what I was going to do if I ever bought one was to buy it used. Most of the time they rarely have any usage by the people selling them.

What are the average price of a rental one?

You will have to learn how to back it up.

I have a GMC Denali V8 6.2. That should be good right?

Yeah, that should be ok. Make sure you price shop. Check out a place called Jeff Couch RV Nation. Use their price as a bargaining tool with your local dealer.

As far as the rv goes. I highly recommend a free standing table instead of the both. The last two RV's I've bought had outdoor kitchens. Huge plus. The specs say 20lb LP tank? You should see if it can be had with 2 30lb tanks. With a young one and a wife, you'll use the furnace more than you think.

I could go on and on. Might be easier to answer questions you have.

• Like 1

Get an equalizer hitch with sway bars.

• Like 1

Yeah, that should be ok. Make sure you price shop. Check out a place called Jeff Couch RV Nation. Use their price as a bargaining tool with your local dealer.

As far as the rv goes. I highly recommend a free standing table instead of the both. The last two RV's I've bought had outdoor kitchens. Huge plus. The specs say 20lb LP tank? You should see if it can be had with 2 30lb tanks. With a young one and a wife, you'll use the furnace more than you think.

I could go on and on. Might be easier to answer questions you have.

Most of the ones I'm looking at don't have a free standing table. I agree with you I prefer chairs over booths.and would like free standing.

Bigger tank would be better.

When looking at bunk houses I can get a 3 bunk RV with an outdoor kitchen or a 4 bunk without. I like the idea of a 4 bunk, but would like to bring my nieces and nephews one some trips. I really like this RV 2019 Forest River Alpha Wolf 29QB-L

I'm not opposed to buying used the wife associates new with clean.

How do you guys finance the RVs?

Get an equalizer hitch with sway bars.

I've watched a lot of youtube videos and these seem like a must.

Most of the ones I'm looking at don't have a free standing table. I agree with you I prefer chairs over booths.and would like free standing.

Bigger tank would be better.

When looking at bunk houses I can get a 3 bunk RV with an outdoor kitchen or a 4 bunk without. I like the idea of a 4 bunk, but would like to bring my nieces and nephews one some trips. I really like this RV 2019 Forest River Alpha Wolf 29QB-L

I'm not opposed to buying used the wife associates new with clean.

How do you guys finance the RVs?

You'll save about half the price buying a trailer that's three or four years old on craigslist. You just have to find the right one. Some are incredibly clean.

• Like 1

Same thing to all of you Michiganders. If you ever want to go camping RVing in Michigan my son's mom owns a campground with 1100 sites. A 9 hole golf course, a put putt course and a 69 acre lake that is filled with amazing fish. Lemme know.

I bought a pop up about 6 years ago, started with that type just to get our feet wet and get into the activity/hobby.

Just sold that unit this past weekend, plan to his some RV shows in the spring to see if an appropriate price can be found. Often the original asking price is a steaming pile of excrement, as with many things.

Have really enjoyed it for the most part, holiday camping can actually be a blast, especially Halloween. Can do some cost-effective vacationing with it. Hotels at many locations will gouge the living sh!t out of you, and this is a nice alternative.

benefit of a pull behind is that you can drop it, then spiral out to areas nearby and take in a large area without having to move your unit. Many national parks do not have water and electrical hookups, so a unit like you posted is great. Honda makes some small whisper-quiet generators you link link in series to get that magical 30AMP

Here is the model I currently have for sale. https://www.funtownrv.com/product/new-2013-forest-river-rv-salem-hemisphere-346qbud-208323-5

I paid over 40K for it in 2013. Currently listing it at 20K. I've been sitting on it for over six month. :wall:

This is the new one I got this past spring. https://www.quietwoodsrvfoxvalley.com/product/new-2017-forest-river-rv-salem-villa-series-4102bfk-estate-711387-3

About four years ago we found a seasonal site we really liked and now have it set up with a deck, storage shed etc.

• Like 1

Here is the model I currently have for sale. https://www.funtownrv.com/product/new-2013-forest-river-rv-salem-hemisphere-346qbud-208323-5

I paid over 40K for it in 2013. Currently listing it at 20K. I've been sitting on it for over six month. :wall:

This is the new one I got this past spring. https://www.quietwoodsrvfoxvalley.com/product/new-2017-forest-river-rv-salem-villa-series-4102bfk-estate-711387-3

About four years ago we found a seasonal site we really liked and now have it set up with a deck, storage shed etc.

What kind of vehicle do you pull that with? The weight thing is where I am limited, I need to stay around 7000lbs

What kind of vehicle do you pull that with? The weight thing is where I am limited, I need to stay around 7000lbs

The fifth wheel I pull with a 2013 F250 Diesel PU. The "Park Model" stays put. They delivered it with a F350 though.

Most people who pull campers destroy their transmissions. You'll want a vehicle with a transmission cooler. Most PU with the tow package have them along with the required wiring for electric breaks on the trailer and beefed up suspension.

If your tow vehicle squats too much when you are hitched up to the trailer you can always add airbags to the rear end. Like these. https://www.bing.com/shop?q=suspension+air+bags&FORM=SHOPPA&originIGUID=CEC08F19F00F452887F683EF927F6CBB

• Like 1

I have the towing package on the vehicle we towed the pop up with, and we really stayed mostly on flat land too,,,,lotsa beach travel.

i have a spare pickup that can handle slightly more weight we would likely use if I get a new one, but even a new one will be something along https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2018-jay-flight-slx/ or http://www.dutchmen.com/aspen-trail/

When we use to run up and down the highway every weekend, the biggest need I had was exterior storage. The more gear you can tuck away the better.

• Like 1

With a new kid due this week our vacations will be limited to local Michigan attractions. I'm thinking about getting an RV like this one.

https://www.generalrv.com/product/new-2019-forest-river-rv-wildwood-x-lite-282qbxl-879608-29

The wife would want new one because reasons. I am aware of the massive depreciation of new RVs.

Any tips or suggestions? Uncle Eddie jokes are welcome.

What's their asking price for this unit?

• Like 1

What's their asking price for this unit?

Just noticed that the second one I posted has a half ass outdoor kitchen. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 1

One concern I have is I want to get away from people. Looking at these rv parks they really pack you in. Basically I don't want to deal with people or their pets.

Also it's my understanding that RV tires suck. Should I replace them right away with a good quality set or wait until they blow?

I never stayed in RV parks. Look for National Forest Campgrouns, State Forest Campgrounds and State Parks. Hell, i even camp in clearings off of forest service roads in the middle of nowhere.

• Like 1

One concern I have is I want to get away from people. Looking at these rv parks they really pack you in. Basically I don't want to deal with people or their pets.

My wife and I looked into getting a small one recently but ultimately decided against it. Crowded parks were one of the reasons we held off.

I wanna go a little farther off grid, while she wants as many creature comforts as possible. Weve yet to find the right balance.

I never stayed in RV parks. Look for National Forest Campgrouns, State Forest Campgrounds and State Parks. Hell, i even camp in clearings off of forest service roads in the middle of nowhere.

Done both.

Problem I has was that in national parks there was limited access to running water and power, so we typically deferred to a private RV ground. Some are better than others. One that stands out to me is a camp near Zion National where the camper next to us put up their awning and it covered us....lol

Done both.

Problem I has was that in national parks there was limited access to running water and power, so we typically deferred to a private RV ground. Some are better than others. One that stands out to me is a camp near Zion National where the camper next to us put up their awning and it covered us....lol

That's not camping! :lol:

• Like 1

https://www.recreation.gov/

National forest campgrounds. Sites and reservations. :thumbsup:

This is a good site. A lot of campgrounds I found are exactly what I'm looking for. :cheers:

Is KOA still a thing. Stayed at a lot of them as a kid with a pop up

• Like 1

This is a good site. A lot of campgrounds I found are exactly what I'm looking for. :cheers:

~stick with me kid. You'll go far. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Is KOA still a thing. Stayed at a lot of them as a kid with a pop up

Yes they are all over.

Yes they are all over.

And they are the last place you'd ever want to camp.

• Like 1

I've been looking at opening an RV park and this sounds amazing,any tips on how a guy gets started would be appreciated.

I've got plenty of land,a 2 acre pond and a covered gazebo by the pond with enough power to have a band.

We hosted a few RV's last year for the eclipse(no power or extra amenities) but met some great people.

Thanks.