Sign in to follow this  
stonewall

Truth and Lies - Melvin Gordon

In this weeks column, Steve Schwarz said this:

2) "I feel good, not 100% obviously," Melvin Gordon said. "But we’re going to go out there and knock off some rust and get myself ready for the playoffs."

Truthful translation. I’m going to play, but don’t expect me to be a workhorse. I’m just here to make sure I’m ready for “Week 18.” Maybe 10-12 carries and a couple of screen passes, but he’s not going to win you your fantasy league.

Anyone buying this? Gordon is a super-competitive player, who knows that each win is crucial. He even apologized to his fantasy owners for not being able to come through for them last Thursday. That is unheard of.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/melvin-gordon-los-angeles-chargers-fantasy-football-owners-playoffs-kansas-city-chiefs-nfl-news-twitter/1ldekymw08y6j15tqimyda2hyd

If, indeed, he is good to go for Saturdays game against the Ravens, any concern about his usage?

sure, always concern for a player's first game coming off injury, combined with a top Run D and I wouldn't expect RB 1 numbers, but I wouldn't sit him for say Eli McGuire either.

Yeah I'm concerned. While they have some reason to get him back on the field, they have even more reason to make sure he's healthy in three weeks. They could have started to limit his touches even without the injury. It's hard to trust him, but almost impossible to sit him.

Justin Jackson worth keeping and playing if desperate? Currently my other backs are Fournette, Miller, Josh Adams, Kenneth Dixon, John Kelly.....need 2, guessing if Gurley is out Kelly is a must start

No.

I think it depends more on how he’s performing during the game.

If he feels right during the game he isn’t leaving the game.

I'm more concerned for the matchup than Gordon's health. he's a "go" in my lineup.

Crap, i have both Jackson AND Ekeler. Does Jackson get more work now? Or does Ekeler resume his backup duties?

Is Ekeler ready to go this week or is he still in concussion protocol? If Ekeler, Jackson and Gordon are all active I could see MGIII getting less than his usual workhorse role. The most worrying thing is the matchup vs the Ravens, everything else is secondary. I'd think someone's team would have to be loaded to consider benching Gordon this week.

I'm starting him, but tempering my expectations. Chargers are one of the slowest teams in the league in terms of running plays and the Ravens run the ball a lot as well. I don't think there are going to be all that many opportunities for either team to score.

I still think Gordon should be good for 100 yards from scrimmage and a TD though.

Benching with confidence, again. Not buying.

Admittedly, thats part due to the fact I can play other RB1/RB2s instead.

CMAC

Mixon

Then likely Chubb or Samuels

D Will

AD

Both the Chargers and Ravens are trying to control the clock on offense and slow the game down. Usually this means there will lots of punting. The Chargers and Seahawks played earlier this year and they are both ball control teams and they punted a combined 12 times. They both ran a TON too and piled up some good RB numbers. Seattle had drives of 72 yards, 49 and 44 yards and got a total of 3 points out of them.

Melvin Gordon started slow but got rolling in the second half as the Seattle defense wore down. Gordon had runs of 20, 6, 21, 6 and 14 in the second half.

Ravens will need a fast start and score touchdowns in the first 2 drives because as the game wears on the Chargers should grow more and more dominant.

Gordon (knee) does not carry an injury designation for Saturday night's game against the Ravens, Ricky Henne of the Chargers' official site reports.
Spin:
Gordon, who has missed the Chargers' past three games with an MCL issue, is thus poised to return to action Saturday and assuming no in-game setbacks, he should be ready to head the team's Week 16 backfield. That said, it remains to be seen how close to his normal workload he'll see in his first game back, with coach Anthony acknowledging via Ross Tucker of SiriusXM that "Melvin's practiced all week and he's doing fine. I don't know that he's himself but he's going to play." With Austin Ekeler (neck) listed as doubtful and expected to be inactive, Justin Jackson will be next in line for carries when the Chargers wish to spell Gordon this weekend.

-I guess for me, you just simply can't sit this guy. He has produced tremendous FF #'s every time he has taken the field this year, regardless of matchup. Elk is doubtful and Justin Jackson has proven to be an only mediocre replacement. I love the way he WANTS to play.....even though it cost him this injury. I also like the way he apologized to his fantasy owners for not being available the last 3 weeks. I have never seen that done before. Makes me think he might be ready to make up for that.

Yes, the Ravens offer up a good test....but if Doug Martin and Peyton Barber can have a good fantasy day against these guys recently, I must assume that Gordon can too. He may well not be 100%, but it wouldn't be the first time this year that he went out at less than 100% and balled out.

Grab a helmet.

I thought he looked really good and quick in warmups last Sunday.

If he is active I would start him. There are not ten other Rbs I would start over him if he is active.

So, hat's off to Steve Schwarz for his call on Gordon. He got a lot more burn than Steve expected, mostly due to game flow. He also got the lucky TD after getting a short field early in the 2nd half....but Justin Jackson was in a lot, and MG3 certainly didn't look himself, albeit against a stout defense.

Ended up sitting him for Williams when I found out Ware was doubtful, but it was very tough to do....last second, actually. Possibly might still end up losing out on point totals between the two, but like my chances.

I'm happy with his score. I'm playing against him and he is averaging 27 points a game in my league. He scored 14. If Julio is a dnp or Nuk. I could have a shot at this thing. I was down a projected 30 at the start of the week.

Playing against him and very happy as that was his lowest output of the season. Julio is expected to play

Playing against him and very happy as that was his lowest output of the season. Julio is expected to play

maybe a decoy? Seems like he does that at least once a year. I can always hope. This is against my brother. I will take all the help I can get.

You never know but Atlanta has nothing to play for doubt they would risk him just to be a decoy in a meaningless game