Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

$1.5 B lottery ticket still unclaimed

21 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Lets look at it from a different angle. If you are the lotto and you want to sell tickets one of the best way to sell tickets is putting a face to winners. Everyone knows it's a bazillion to 1 odds you'll actually win, but people play because it COULD be them. When there's no longer a face to a winner all people see is money goes in and they never win. It makes for a good news story to learn a bunch of blue collar people win or some family won. You know what doesn't make for a good story or help sell tickets? Anonymous South Carolina person won the lotto today.

It's not too much to ask for transparency. 

:first:

18 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Lets look at it from a different angle. If you are the lotto and you want to sell tickets one of the best way to sell tickets is putting a face to winners. Everyone knows it's a bazillion to 1 odds you'll actually win, but people play because it COULD be them. When there's no longer a face to a winner all people see is money goes in and they never win. It makes for a good news story to learn a bunch of blue collar people win or some family won. You know what doesn't make for a good story or help sell tickets? Anonymous South Carolina person won the lotto today.

This is actually an argument in favor of anonymity.  We don't want people playing the lottery.  So anything that lessens the incentive is a good thing.

7 minutes ago, Strike said:

This is actually an argument in favor of anonymity.  We don't want people playing the lottery.  So anything that lessens the incentive is a good thing.

Of course we want people to play the lotto. The money generated goes to schools to help pay for education (how much and the effect is a different argument) TO your point I think society wants adults to be responsible and not put themselves into poverty with a gambling addiction. So no I disagree when you say we don't want people playing.

27 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Again, I disagree.  It's really an invasion of privacy IMO. 

Just now, Cdub100 said:

Of course we want people to play the lotto. The money generated goes to schools to help pay for education (how much and the effect is a different argument) I think society wants adults to be responsible and not put themselves into poverty with a gambling addiction. So no I disagree when you say we don't want people playing.

I can't speak for all states but in CA, in order to pass the Lotto, they promised x percent would go to schools.  So, the idiot voters passed the bill.  And the politicians did in fact donate x percent to schools.  They also cut the school budget by x percent so the end result was a wash.  Then they took the money and wasted it somewhere else.  Yay schools!

2 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Of course we want people to play the lotto. The money generated goes to schools to help pay for education (how much and the effect is a different argument) TO your point I think society wants adults to be responsible and not put themselves into poverty with a gambling addiction. So no I disagree when you say we don't want people playing.

Wait.  I thought the money was lining the pockets of the people in charge, or just going up in smoke.  

Just now, vuduchile said:

Again, I disagree.  It's really an invasion of privacy IMO. 

Nobody says you have to play in a government sponsored gambling game. If privacy is a concern you shouldn't play. Just like if privacy is a concern you should bid on government contracts. Government should be transparent so anytime you do business with the government you should not expect to retain privacy.

3 minutes ago, Strike said:

I can't speak for all states but in CA, in order to pass the Lotto, they promised x percent would go to schools.  So, the idiot voters passed the bill.  And the politicians did in fact donate x percent to schools.  They also cut the school budget by x percent so the end result was a wash.  Then they took the money and wasted it somewhere else.  Yay schools!

I 100% agree with you. Same sh!t in Michigan.

3 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Wait.  I thought the money was lining the pockets of the people in charge, or just going up in smoke.  

Nobody said that. In fact I was very specific when I said I do not believe the lotto is corrupt or fraud is happening.

What I'm suggesting is transparency so it DOESN'T happen.

2 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Nobody says you have to play in a government sponsored gambling game. If privacy is a concern you shouldn't play. Just like if privacy is a concern you should bid on government contracts. Government should be transparent so anytime you do business with the government you should not expect to retain privacy.

These guys might see it differently, if they were still alive.

In 2006, a Florida man named Abraham Shakespeare won $31 million in the lottery. In 2009, after he’d spent most of the money, he disappeared; his body was found in early 2010 under a concrete slab. Per the Cleveland Plain Dealer, police suspect the person responsible was a woman who had befriended him after his big win and “fleeced him of $1.8 million.”

In November 2015, a 20-year-old forklift operator in Georgia named Craigory Burch won $434,000 in the lottery; the following January, he was shot and killed in a home invasion. Police, who eventually charged seven people with his murder, said he was a “pre-selected target.”

1 minute ago, vuduchile said:

These guys might see it differently, if they were still alive.

In 2006, a Florida man named Abraham Shakespeare won $31 million in the lottery. In 2009, after he’d spent most of the money, he disappeared; his body was found in early 2010 under a concrete slab. Per the Cleveland Plain Dealer, police suspect the person responsible was a woman who had befriended him after his big win and “fleeced him of $1.8 million.”

In November 2015, a 20-year-old forklift operator in Georgia named Craigory Burch won $434,000 in the lottery; the following January, he was shot and killed in a home invasion. Police, who eventually charged seven people with his murder, said he was a “pre-selected target.”

Criminals go after rich people. Is this something new? Should I post celebrities who have been murdered or attacked? Business men kidnapped for ransom? 

That's a being rich problem not a lotto problem.

Again if you don't want to play you don't have to.

1 minute ago, Cdub100 said:

Criminals go after rich people. Is this something new? Should I post celebrities who have been murdered or attacked? Business men kidnapped for ransom? 

That's a being rich problem not a lotto problem.

Again if you don't want to play you don't have to.

You keep saying the same thing over and over again, and it still doesn't wash with me.  I believe the govt or any entity associated with them should not have free reign to disclose a person's financial windfall to the masses.  

20 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

You keep saying the same thing over and over again, and it still doesn't wash with me.  I believe the govt or any entity associated with them should not have free reign to disclose a person's financial windfall to the masses.  

I keep saying the same thing because my logic is consistent. I agree with this last post of yours up to a point. I draw the line when it comes to entering into a contract with the government. Back to my repetitive business example: when you enter into a contract with the government your contract is available to the public for review. A lotto ticket is a contract with the government and if you win that contract should be available to the public for review.

18 hours ago, Baker Boy said:

The largest single-winner prize was the $1.5 billion Mega Millions jackpot claimed by an anonymous individual in South Carolina earlier this month. The take-home pay for that winner – who opted for the lump sum – was about $490.6 million.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/powerball-550m-lottery-jackpot-heres-the-tax-damage

Did somebody remind them that the lottery is fake and that they are stupid for wasting their money on it?