Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Harper and Machado, what gives?

6 minutes ago, Drizzay said:

Good for SD!

Wow. Looks like Harper will be getting something in the 10 / 325 range.

40 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

Show me ONE 10 year deal that has EVER worked out? ONE 

No titles, one pennant, but Winfield was very good,  except for missing a year with injury 

:lol:

What a bunch of focking dummies 

47 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Of the two, I think Machado is the better bet on a long term contract.   Provides value in the field and at the plate as a middle-inf.   Petco isn't going to help his numbers though.    

I don't even think there is a discussion.  GG middle IF, 3rd basement, vs below average OFer.  Is there a difference between them at the plate?  i don't see it.

44 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

Manny Ramirez 

I'd say Jeters contract worked out pretty good. Hell, he became a bargain eventually 

1 hour ago, posty said:

Machado

1 hour ago, Mike Honcho said:

Im guessing it's got to be his, no way he agrees to an option after 5 years.  

Just heard on MLB Network Radio that the Padres have the option after 5 years, not Machado.

Just now, TBayXXXVII said:

Just heard on MLB Network Radio that the Padres have the option after 5 years, not Machado.

If that's true, good for them...and Wow.   

16 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

If that's true, good for them...and Wow.   

Yeah, I'm curious to hear if that's the "official" wording.  It was just the hosts commenting on it, so it's possible they misspoke.

i wouldn't mind if they both get kapernicked and never play again. can't stand hearing about them any more....its brutal here in philly.

57 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

If that is true, sorry for the misinformation...

ESPN take on Machado signing...

Who is the biggest winner of Machado joining the Padres?

Miller: Cleveland. With the White Sox failing to sign Machado, Cleveland can now be pretty sure no other team in the division will win even 85 games this year. Terry Francona can start resting his players for the playoffs ... now.

:lol:

12 minutes ago, posty said:

sorry for the misinformation...

Good first step.  What about all your other posts?  

Yeah because signing Machado gives you an extra 20 wins, easy :wacko:

24 minutes ago, posty said:

If that is true, sorry for the misinformation...

It's not a given that you were wrong.  It was just the talking heads on the show that said it.  They weren't claiming that was a fact.  I'm still waiting for an official announcement.  They also said that the deal was apparently front loaded too.

12 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Good first step.  What about all your other posts?  

He might not be wrong.  I haven't heard anything "official" yet.

10 hours ago, kilroy69 said:

ARod, btw, the reason why most 10 year deals don't work out, is because the players usually sign them when they are already 29-30, give 3-4 great years, 2-3 solid, and then its down hill

Machado will only be 35 at end of it, and even if hes on the downhill, thats fine, hes also got incentive to go ball busters, cause he could get another contract at 31

2 minutes ago, MDC said:

Reports are Bryce Harper signed with the Phils. :thumbsup:

Do you need a scouting report on him too? Lol. 

2 minutes ago, MDC said:

Reports are Bryce Harper signed with the Phils. :thumbsup:

10-year, $330 million 

Definitely not worth it...

2 minutes ago, posty said:

10-year, $330 million 

Harper was always going to be overpaid but players of his caliber don’t become available often and he will make the Phils lineup much better. Also - its only money, and it’s not even my money.

We will all be here in 10 years to talk about the failure of this deal.  And of course complain about President Don Jr.

6 minutes ago, posty said:

10-year, $330 million 

13 years for $330M, no opt-outs.  To me, that's a smaller deal than both Arenado and Machado.

6 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

We will all be here in 10 years to talk about the failure of this deal.  And of course complain about President Don Jr.

:d

9 minutes ago, MDC said:

Harper was always going to be overpaid but players of his caliber don’t become available often and he will make the Phils lineup much better. Also - its only money, and it’s not even my money.

Very true...  It should be interesting to see how the Phillies are now...  The NL East is getting interesting sans Florida...

4 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

13 years for $330M, no opt-outs.  To me, that's a smaller deal than both Arenado and Machado.

Didn't Machado's contract have opt outs after 5 years? Or something like that. Phillies are on the hook until Harper is 39-40 y/o. Fock that. 

Just now, crackattack said:

Didn't Machado's contract have opt outs after 5 years? Or something like that. Phillies are on the hook until Harper is 39-40 y/o. Fock that. 

It was Machado's opt out.  Which he won't ever take

300mil? Most absurd thing ever heard. No one is worth that. The mlbpa is the best ever. Any athlete who can play baseball is retarded if they decide on football instead.

11 minutes ago, MDC said:

The thing is...I don't think he's a 'play of that caliber', and I'm not alone in that at all.   Not wishing bad luck on the dude or your team, but I think this is going to go down as one of the worst deals ever.    

As a Giants fan I am mixed about this.  They are in rebuild and he would not have a lot of protection (unless signing him could have drawn other players).  Pac Bell is not a hitter's park.  Harper would underperform and get heavily criticized for it.

I would be happy if the Giants would pursue good-to-very good players for what they would have spent on Harper.

Just now, Cruzer said:

Mike Trout >>> Bryce Harper

And the Angels blow too. One player doesn't a baseball team make, this isn't the NBA

13 years for $330M is around $25M per year.  That's less than what Pujols got the last 2 years and less than what he's going to make over the next 3.  He waited all this time and got screwed is what happened.  Initial reports were 12 years for $350 from the Nats and 10 for $350 from the Phils.  He ended up getting less than both Machado AND Arenado.

3 minutes ago, edjr said:

And the Angels blow too. One player doesn't a baseball team make, this isn't the NBA

Very true.

Just now, TBayXXXVII said:

13 years for $330M is around $25M per year.  That's less than what Pujols got the last 2 years and less than what he's going to make over the next 3.  He waited all this time and got screwed is what happened.  Initial reports were 12 years for $350 from the Nats and 10 for $350 from the Phils.  He ended up getting less than both Machado AND Arenado.

Yeah just heard 13 years instead of ten...

Harper gets a $20 million signing bonus, a $10 million salary this year, $26 million in each of the following nine seasons and $22 million in each of the last three years. None of the money is deferred.

7 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

The thing is...I don't think he's a 'play of that caliber', and I'm not alone in that at all.   Not wishing bad luck on the dude or your team, but I think this is going to go down as one of the worst deals ever.    

Maybe, we will see. I think his impact in the lineup on guys like Hoskins and Franco is going to be massive. And if he doesn’t come close to being worth the $ there’s no salary cap and nothing to prevent the Phils from going after Trout in a couple years.

LOL, 7 years ago, Pujols got $24M per year for 10 years... Harper only got $1M more today... and he's 6 years younger than what Pujols was.

5 minutes ago, MDC said:

Maybe, we will see. I think his impact in the lineup on guys like Hoskins and Franco is going to be massive. And if he doesn’t come close to being worth the $ there’s no salary cap and nothing to prevent the Phils from going after Trout in a couple years.

Big fan. Lol. 

9 minutes ago, MDC said:

Segura and McCutchen, arrieta.....  looks good on paper