Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

Bill O'Brien

If the Texans get run out of the building here, does O'Brien deserve to be the coach going forward? I think he has done a solid enough job, but there are some real studs scattered on the team who are some of the best at their position in the league. They should be advancing further/more competitive than they have been in the playoffs.

The last month of the season their pass defense was terrible, I don't know who was responsible for that.

Part of it is Watson. Im not going to say the team couldn't win with him, but he just doesn't seem like he has that killer instinct and unflapability like Nick Foles. He doesn't have the ability to read a defense and carve it up.

Think it’s simply coaching.

62 sacks. Watson is getting clobbered every other play.

If HOU can somehow piece together an offensive line next year watch out.

62 sacks. Watson is getting clobbered every other play.

If HOU can somehow piece together an offensive line next year watch out.

This is true. Luck is a on a different level efficiency wise with that revamped line. Even though every swinging dlck here knew that teams like the Colts and Seahawks should have been drafting oline help years ago

How much will an improved offensive line help Watson? He doesn't pass from the pocket. He had one of the best lines in college and almost never threw from inside the pocket. So far in the NFL, he hasn't thrown from the pocket much either. I get that their line sucks, but why waste high draft picks on the line if he's not going throw from behind them? Luck is a pocket passer who can throw from outside the pocket. Watson is an outside the pocket passer who doesn't like throwing without moving around first. It's not easy to compare the two.

We knew his line sucked going into the season. The media loves to play up how much he is responsible for his own sacks, but PFF doesn't seem to agree. However, since either PFF doesn't offer this info to premium subscribers or I can't find it on the site, I'll use this link instead.

As of the end of November, PFF assigned responsibility to Watson on only seven of the 37 sacks he had taken (18.9%). Using that same rate over the course of the season, he would have been responsible for 11.5 of his 61 sacks (PFF's number),

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/28/pro-football-focus-sacks-texans-qb-deshaun-watson/

Even if we bump the final number up to 15, it's ridiculous. LT Julie'n Davenport was raw coming out of Bucknell and should just now be working as a starter, but he's their LT and started a bunch last year. LG Senio Kelemete should be a rotational guy, not a guy starting next to Davenport. RT Kendall Lamm was waived by the Texans last season when their line was even worse after being a college free agent two years before. He's the starting RT.

Houston's other huge problem is it got old in the secondary in a hurry. I would have no problem if the Texans do nothing but draft o-linemen and corners this spring, Lamar Miller is replaceable but also good enough to use in tandem with a healthy D'Onta Foreman if the line gets a serious upgrade. Short of this draft offering up a Quenton Nelson at Houston's pick in the first round (highly unlikely, obviously), the Texans need to find Aaron Colvin's long-term sidekick and then throw most of their picks at athletic o-linemen.