Sign in to follow this  
sderk

The gov. shutdown spotlights a bigger issue: 78% of US workers live paycheck to paycheck

Employees deemed essential: 11.6 percent, or 9,978 employees[/size][/font][/color]

You know who gets deemed essential? The poor sap who doesn't have enough seniority but capable enough to keep the lights on.

Everyone else knows a furlough is a deferred paid vacation.

So don't let essential employee sh1t fool you.

I bet the Bobs would have a field day with federal workers.

I bet the Bobs would have a field day with federal workers.

What would you say you do here, Nancy?

I have this discussion with my oldest son (17) just about every day. He has no concept of saving or not spending what you don't have. He thinks that he can get a loan for $25k for a truck when he has no income. He sees those commercials for leasing a car for $299/month with no money down.

I have started to educate him on building credit, not spending more than you make, saving some for a rainy day and interest is something you want to earn and not pay. I don't think that many parents taught their kids these lessons. :dunno:

Nor have you if at 17 you need to educate him on this.

It's called the basket of goods. If you went to college, you'd actually know what the hell I'm talking about. Next

According to Dumbeski the people out of work and not getting a paycheck this week are loving it and its like a great vacation.

National disaster and hes lost any chance of reelection with this stunt. The Dems could roll out weekend at Bernie and win this thing going away.

Nor have you if at 17 you need to educate him on this.

I teach him. He just doesnt learn. Goes in one ear and out the other. He will have to learn the hard way.

I teach him. He just doesnt learn. Goes in one ear and out the other. He will have to learn the hard way.

That would frustrate the crap out of me.

He's not alone in this struggle.

That is kids. The older they get, the dumber they think you are. By about 25 (I am told), you get smart again in their eyes.

According to Dumbeski the people out of work and not getting a paycheck this week are loving it and its like a great vacation.

National disaster and hes lost any chance of reelection with this stunt. The Dems could roll out weekend at Bernie and win this thing going away.

fake news brought to you by the boreds 13 dollar an hour comicon fan furry

All these protests by Federal employees appear to be spearheaded by public unions.

Ban public unions.

That is kids. The older they get, the dumber they think you are. By about 25 (I am told), you get smart again in their eyes.

I’ve said the older I get the more I realize how smart my parents were.

Makes sense. That is normally about the age most people have to be out on their own supporting themselves. Reality starts to kick in.

It takes a while, I think I finally "got it" with regard to my parents when my first kid was born....

In 2019, the federal government will spend $4.407 trillion. Yet Congress is shutting down the government in a dispute between the $1.3 billion the Democrats have approved for border security and the $5.7 billion the president is demanding -- precisely 0.0998 percent of the total federal budget. In Washington, that is considered a rounding error.

In 2019, the federal government will spend $4.407 trillion. Yet Congress is shutting down the government in a dispute between the $1.3 billion the Democrats have approved for border security and the $5.7 billion the president is demanding -- precisely 0.0998 percent of the total federal budget. In Washington, that is considered a rounding error.

Crazy that Trump shut down the government over 4 bil. What a turd.

Crazy that Trump shut down the government over 4 bil. What a turd.

Donnie couldnt get Mexico to pay $4b pesos - Sad!

Except he didn't - The Democrats did. HTH!!!!

“If we don’t get what we want … I am proud to shut down the government" - Trump

"I will take the mantle of shutting down" - Trump

:dunno:

You may want to blame democrats, and that's fine. You are, however, in the minority, when it comes to that sentiment.

Longest shutdown in history coming. Doesn’t get what he wants? No prob, hold country hostage and extort. 2 years to go, then it is inarguably, zero question abaout it, over.

“If we don’t get what we want … I am proud to shut down the government" - Trump

"I will take the mantle of shutting down" - Trump

:dunno:

You may want to blame democrats, and that's fine. You are, however, in the minority, when it comes to that sentiment.

Correct - the Democrats forced his hand. Had they played nicely for a compromise instead of not even listening then we wouldn't even be talking about this.

So, yeah, this is squarely on the shoulders of the Dems. That is all.

Longest shutdown in history coming. Doesnt get what he wants? No prob, hold country hostage and extort. 2 years to go, then it is inarguably, zero question abaout it, over.

He's made compromises. You are aware of that, right?

The whole thing is a pissing match on both sides but its one Don is losing, bigly.

The whole thing is a pissing match on both sides but its one Don is losing, bigly.

1/10. Your trolling has collapsed. Try harder.

He's made compromises. You are aware of that, right?

You have to know when to Holdem and when to foldem. Country shut down over one point of pride. Do the right thing and get things back to normal, regroup and fight another day. Hes down to literally just the GC in favor of whats happening.

You have to know when to Holdem and when to foldem. Country shut down over one point of pride. Do the right thing and get things back to normal, regroup and fight another day. Hes down to literally just the GC in favor of whats happening.

Really? Because I suspect most people don't even know about it. Or if they do, they don't care because it doesn't affect them. I've yet to have one person IRL, whether it be family member, friend, or coworker, even mention the government shut down. I'm sure it's a hot topic of conversation in your life though.

I think it is pretty cool that he is fighting for us!

Really? Because I suspect most people don't even know about it. Or if they do, they don't care because it doesn't affect them. I've yet to have one person IRL, whether it be family member, friend, or coworker, even mention the government shut down. I'm sure it's a hot topic of conversation in your life though.

They could keep most of if shut permanently for all I care.

I think your perception is heavily skewed being in California. Hes support is greater now than its ever been. And growing amongst younger people.

I dont believe he would commit such political suicide, thus I dont believe the article....but I just read an article saying the White House is telling GOP senators that Trump may declare the emergency, yet still refuse to open the government because he wants to stick it to the Dems.

So, this is a little bit like quitting your job and then blaming the babysitter that she won't float you a loan while she still does her job?

"Well she should have had savings!"

God, you people are nucking futz.

So, this is a little bit like quitting your job and then blaming the babysitter that she won't float you a loan while she still does her job?

"Well she should have had savings!"

God, you people are nucking futz.

Whats even nuttier is that theyll eventually get back pay for all the time they didnt work.

Whats even nuttier is that theyll eventually get back pay for all the time they didnt work.

So honest to God, you have a choice between a job to pay 60 Grand and 85 Grand. Obviously you go for 85 Grand. And then six months into it, your new employer says well gosh we can't get our together, we're going to have to furlough you. Think of it as a vacation!

you took the 85 because that's what it took to feed your family and pay your bills. What? You're expecting them to send a thank you card to incompetent management?

Have you ever had your hours cut? Did you celebrate?

God, the worst part? I can't believe this is a conversation.

These guys were given the option of taking voluntary time off without pay? Yeah, them. That's not what this is.

The current shutdown is a partial one affecting roughly 800,000 federal employees. Roughly half of them are on furlough, while the other half, whose jobs are considered essential to public health and safety, must report to work even though Congress has not appropriated the funds to pay them.

This category includes the Secret Service agents who protect the president and his family, the Transportation Security Agents, pilots, and air-traffic controllers who keep the aviation system running, the corrections officers who staff federal prisons, and, yes, the Border Patrol agents who guard the southern divide with Mexico along which Trump wants to build a wall.

----------

Congratulations. Officially a baNana republic.