shotsup

Should I “rat” this guy out ?

Even dumber is the fact that this whole tipping game has elevated a waiters earning potential to a point that its better than some professions that actually require skill or knowledge.

Waiting tables is not a career. Its just a paycheck for those on their way to something bigger and better. If its your primary source of income beyond the age of 30, youre a loser.

One of my friends works at a fine dining restaurant here in Orlando and is easily making $1,500 a week. Is he a loser?

The whole tipping thing is a sham. A business owner should not be allowed to force his customers to pay his employees wages. The minimum wage in Michigan for tipped employees is 3.52 an hour. WTF?

Yep its beyond dumb. Set a higher price for your food and drink, pay a higher hourly rate to your servers and be done with it.

One of my friends works at a fine dining restaurant here in Orlando and is easily making $1,500 a week. Is he a loser?

He might be. If being a waiter is his highest aspiration in life, Id say yes.

But if recognizes that hes cashing in on the stupidity of others with this golden opportunity, is investing his money and building toward something better, then no.

I dont mind tipping, worth it to me for the better service. Last thing I want is $10 employees serving me for dinner on a regular basis.

He might be. If being a waiter is his highest aspiration in life, Id say yes.

But if hes cashing in on this golden opportunity, investing his money and building toward something better, then no.

Not sure if he invests but he isnt some idiot with his money. Has a house, car and doesnt live above his means. Id say the average size salary in my area for an intermediate professional job is $1,000-$1,200 maybe less... hes making more and has no student loan debt. Even if he doesnt invest the more you make determines how successful you are in my opinion. A server that makes $1,500 a week is more successful than a college educated professional making $800 a week.

Not sure if he invests but he isnt some idiot with his money. Has a house, car and doesnt live above his means. Id say the average size salary in my area for an intermediate professional job is $1,000-$1,200 maybe less... hes making more and has no student loan debt. Even if he doesnt invest the more you make determines how successful you are in my opinion. A server that makes $1,500 a week is more successful than a college educated professional making $800 a week.

But its a dead end job unless he plans to manage restaurants or open his own some day.

I was making about $900 a week waiting tables and bartending as I was working my way through school. Helped me out quote nicely.

And I agree with 90s above. I don't want someone making $10-12 bucks an hour serving my food. Noone would take that job at all because the job is a bltch having to deal with the public. I would have not done it.

But its a dead end job unless he plans to manage restaurants or open his own some day.

Yeah true. But most people never advance into management anyway and what they thought was a job with endless opportunity turns into a boring 9-5er at your cubicle for 30 years.

I was making about $900 a week waiting tables and bartending as I was working my way through school. Helped me out quote nicely.

And I agree with 90s above. I don't want someone making $10-12 bucks an hour serving my food. Noone would take that job at all because the job is a bltch having to deal with the public. I would have not done it.

Who says it has to be $10-$12?

This is supposed to be capitalism. If your establishment requires a higher level of service or the ability to turn more tables, then pay appropriately.

But it makes no sense to reward a waiter based on how expensive the food and drinks are.

If I order a $100 bottle of wine, he comes to the table and pours it a few times. Now I owe him a $20 tip.

If I order a $30 bottle of wine, he still has to come to the table and pour it the same number of times but I only owe him $6.

Any way you slice it, thats focking dumb.

Yeah true. But most people never advance into management anyway and what they thought was a job with endless opportunity turns into a boring 9-5er at your cubicle for 30 years.

Absolutely. Cubicle dwellers can be losers as well.

• Like 1

Absolutely. Cubicle dwellers can be losers as well.

Our conversation summarized: lazy people suck

This is supposed to be capitalism. If your establishment requires a higher level of service or he ability to turn more tables, then pay appropriately.

But it makes no sense to reward a waiter based on how expensive the food and drinks are.

If I order a $100 bottle of wine, he comes to the table and pours it a few times. Now I owe him a $20 tip.

If I order a $30 bottle of wine, he still has to come to the table and pours it the same number of times but I only owe him $6.

I see your point on the wine, but it is pretty customary to tip 10% on wine service. And you could use the same logic for food items. Carrying out a salad vs. a ribeye.

But, I wonder what would happen to the prices of all the menu items if the restaurants all of a sidden had to start paying certain employees $20 an hour instead of 4 bucks an hour. My guess is dinner would cost us as much or more in the end.

I see your point on the wine, but it is pretty customary to tip 10% on wine service. And you could use the same logic for food items. Salad vs. a ribeye.

But, I wonder would happen to the prices of all the menu items if the restaurant all of a sidden had to start paying their employees $20 an hour instead of 4 bucks an hour. My guess dinner would cost us as much or more in the end.

Who takes the time to calculate different tips for different food and drink items?

Are you talking about a place with an actual separate sommelier? I think I might have eaten at a place like that once, but I wasnt paying.

Usually, the waiter takes all the food and drink orders, including the wine and when the bill comes, I look at the total and multiply by 20%.

This is supposed to be capitalism. If your establishment requires a higher level of service or the ability to turn more tables, then pay appropriately.

If I order a $30 bottle of wine, he still has to come to the table and pour it the same number of times but I only owe him $6.

100$ Bottles of wine, now that's fockin stupid. But your point is spot on.

Who takes the time to calculate different tips for different food and drink items?

Are you talking about a place with an actual separate sommelier? I think I might have eaten at a place like that once, but I wasnt paying.

Usually, the waiter takes all the food and drink orders, including the wine and when the bill comes, I look at the total and multiply by 20%.

No, I was talking about the waiter serving it. 10% for the wine portion of the check was always 10% from my experience. Maybe it's changed but not 20%.

No, I was talking about the waiter serving it. 10% for the wine portion of the check was always 10% from my experience. Maybe it's changed but not 20%.

Hmmm. Maybe Ive been doing it all wrong.

But even with your 10% in the wine, its still outta whack.

In my scenario, the tip still goes from $3 to $10.

Hmmm. Maybe Ive been doing it all wrong.

But even with your 10% in the wine, its still outta whack.

In my scenario, the tip still goes from $3 to $10.

I would never tip 20% on the wine. No more than 15% these days. I rarely buy wine at restaurants. To me it's more because of the mark up on the wines themselves. It's astronomical.

100$ Bottles of wine, now that's fockin stupid. But your point is spot on.

Agreed. I never buy expensive wine if Im paying with my own money. These days, I rarely buy any alcohol at a restaurant as I make it a rule to never drink and drive.

But when I lived on a corporate expense account, I didnt think twice. The amount of money we wasted on food and booze back then was insane.

5 of us once ate at the Mansion on Turtle Creek in Dallas and the bill was over $2K. The VP who paid was ordering $300 bottles. Something different with every course.

Agreed. I never buy expensive wine if Im paying with my own money. These days, I rarely buy any alcohol at a restaurant as I make it a rule to never drink and drive.

But when I lived on a corporate expense account, I didnt think twice. The amount of money we wasted on food and booze back then was insane.

5 of us once ate at the Mansion on Turtle Creek in Dallas and the bill was over $2K. The VP who paid was ordering $300 bottles. Something different with every course.

And a write off. One of the best things about being an taxpaying American citizen is subsidizing fat cats food and sporting and concert tickets.And many other things. My country 'tis of thee....

• Like 1

I dont mind tipping, worth it to me for the better service. Last thing I want is $10 employees serving me for dinner on a regular basis.

The us is one of the few countries ive seen that tips, and the service is no better than anywhere else.

What started this thread and struck a nerve is my kids are in the industry- they waiter, they bus tables and they bar back - whatever schedule they get out on that week.

When they bar back they make between $200 and $300 a night. Imagine what the actual bartenders make.

My 16 year old made $1300 cash last German festival- 3 days.

Yeah, I didn't address your point. If it is a place you've gone to for 20-ish years and feel that you know the management, owner, and other staff, I would definitely say something. :thumbsup:

Yeah. I used to go there 5 days a week- but all birthdays are celebrated there - fantasy football drafts are held there - its where I buy my BOXES for football season and Super Bowl.

Ill be there in 5 hours for Isles/rangers

:cheers:

I try and pay with cash for the tip where I can but I'd rather my waiter/waitress NOT share their tips. I start at 20% and they can get more or less depending on their service.

Depends where I am. Diner? I'll try and pay tip in cash.Those are mostly women who need the dough. Nice place charging 30-35 bucks for a strip steak? Fock that. They can pay taxes.

FF draft at this place every year. Works out great for all.

They give us unlimited beer and wine / all we can eat wings - all types / half time meal usually salad and Pene ala vodka - all for $35 per person.

I charge each guy 50 bucks. 10 guys Bill is $350 give them $500 cash - we all win.

Even though guys know tip is included the still throw 10/20 bucks each on the table. We end up tipping like 80%

Like I said we all win