Sign in to follow this  
the lone star

How Would You Resolve This Dispute?

How Would You Resolve This Dispute?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. How Would You Resolve This Dispute?

• Reset All Of The Tags Since They Were Incorrectly Uploaded
    • Reset Only The Tag/Bid In Dispute
    • Don't Reset, But Compensate Bidding Owner For The $1 Lost
    • Keep It As Is And Force The Bidding Owner To Pay The Extra $1, Regardless Of Who Made The Mistake

So in one of my dynasty leagues, we have a free agency system set up that allows a player's previous owner to place a "tag" on said player. If the tag is placed on that player, then the owner says something along the lines of "Tag Player At $10." So if another team wants to make sure that the player doesn't go back to the original owner, the other owner can say "Match Player At $10." Thus, the new owner is now bidding $10, and has caused the previous owner to renounce his rights to the player. However, anybody else can come in and increase the bid on the player after that, so Team C can say "Bid $11 on Player" and now Team C is the highest bidder. Team B can continue to bid on the player after this, but Team A (the original owner) cannot.

Unfortunately, the Commissioner of my dynasty league uploaded the tags and started free agency about 2 weeks late. Furthermore, when he did upload the tags, the price that each tag was at had increased by a dollar due to how the system was set up. Previously tags were done by the messaging board, but this time around he used MFL's internal bidding system. For what it's worth, he was able to secure a player during last year's free agency when it was messaging board only.

Because of this goof, an owner who decided to match a $10 bid was told by the commissioner that he would have to actually pay $11. The owner pointed to a message he left on the message board and how he clearly indicated "Match the bid for Player at $10." The commissioner admitted that he made a mistake when inputting the bids, but said that since he started free agency two weeks late, and that other players were also tagged (and currently being bid on), he just couldn't reset free agency. The bidding owner was understanding of this, and asked if he could get the $1 back once transaction was completed. The commissioner did not find this to be a suitable solution for some reason and said that only the $11 payment (which, again, the bidding owner did not consent to) would suffice. The bidding owner then asked if instead of resetting all of free agency, that the bid on the one player he bid on could be reset. The commissioner gave this some thought, but eventually said no, and demanded the $11 instead.

What do you all make of this, and how would you all resolve the dispute? The commissioner admitted to the fact that it was his own error, but is still demanding that the other owner pay due to someone else's mistake. What do you think the best solution for this is? Should all the tags be reset since the commissioner goofed on them, or should only the one tag in question be reset? Should the bidding owner be compensated for the $1 that was mistakenly taken away from him, or should he be forced to pay regardless of whose mistake it was?

Keep in mind that the average team only has around $50 to spend, so the $1 overcharge is somewhat significant in the sense that it represents 2% of a team's bidding allowance. MANY players have been won for $1 in the past, so the bidding owner actually has a valid claim about how it negatively effects his strategy, especially when given the fact that he clearly indicated his intent to match at $10 and not pay $11.

You should disband the entire league

Sounds like a Cluster.....i got anxiety attack after reading first two sentences. uhhhhh

I'm thinking Seahawks vs Colts for Super Bowl 54

I'm all in on the Colts, but N.O. and L.A. aren't going anywhere. I could see S.F., Chicago, Minni, all stepping up as well in the NFC.

I'm all in on the Colts, but N.O. and L.A. aren't going anywhere. I could see S.F., Chicago, Minni, all stepping up as well in the NFC.

Cowboys are decent, Eagles ain't bad, and Redskins will have a nice schedule. Don't sleep on the NFC East.

Cowboys are decent, Eagles ain't bad, and Redskins will have a nice schedule. Don't sleep on the NFC East.

Not a big fan of that division.

The Redskins are missing an offense. No QB. No true #1 WR, a run-down and oft-injured TE and the line needs some upgrades. Their defense isn't bad, but they can't win on defense alone. I can't see then finishing above third in this division and quite possibly 4th. If they bring in a decent QB, they will have to release Norman and at least one more player. If they don't, they are basically throwing in the towel on 2019.

The Redskins are missing an offense. No QB. No true #1 WR, a run-down and oft-injured TE and the line needs some upgrades. Their defense isn't bad, but they can't win on defense alone. I can't see then finishing above third in this division and quite possibly 4th. If they bring in a decent QB, they will have to release Norman and at least one more player. If they don't, they are basically throwing in the towel on 2019.

I think there best play is to put minimum effort into winning in 2019. Bet on some good sounding veterans at the end of their career (Latavius Murray? Mike Wallace? Dez?) with one year prove it contracts ... draft for 2020 development or trade picks and players forward. Would give time to See how Guice and Smith return from injuries, and create an underdog story for 2019.

But no, cant see them winning NFC east next year.

On 1/30/2019 at 8:12 AM, oldtimer said:

OL was solid before it got banged up. That's a nice start for sure. Make some savvy moves in free agency and draft players at some of the positions you mentioned and they could be alright. Remember, they were in 1st place before Alex Smith went down.

Not true, the owner of a ff team cares.