tubby_mcgee

Boat Geeks: What kind of boat would suit this situation the best?

I have never had a boat. Thinking about getting a used one 15k-20k is my budget.

One buddy says a "fish and ski" and recommended a Skeeter Fish and Ski - 2008 only 91 hours on it and the motor. Has a ski pole to hook rope to. 150hp outboard Yamaha. The low hours really has me intrigued. This one is 16K. All the vinyl is in mint condition. Its been inside most of its life.

Other buddy says "deckboat" would be better.

Here is what I would use it for....

60% pulling tubes and skis

40% fishing

Anyone here have any suggestions?

Thank you.

• Like 1

If you buy new you won't get much, if you buy used....research the living fock out of the motor.....

How old are your kids? Any links to the boats we can see?

Where are you going to be using it?

• Like 1

Anything but a Bryant. Fock those boats.

Break

Out

Another

Thousand

Where are you going to be using it?

On a lake... and my plan is to have it on a lift all summer at the lake.

I was told that 91 hours on a 2008 is very few...and that is the reason I should get it... cuz it's a great value... etc...(My friend found it on a local website and called the guy selling it).

Have compression test done

I have 3 boats and run one daily almost. For sure get a compression test.

I also like a small cabin/cuddy to keep things dry. Just from 1 search I would look at something like this

https://www.boats.com/power-boats/2007-pro-line-21-walk-6662285/?refSource=similar%20listing

Suzuki is a good engine and 495 hours is not bad. If you can go down to Florida. There are a ton of boats for sale there. Prices are good but they have been in salt water. That is not as big a deal as it used to be since most engines are made for salt water. Just know with any used boat there is a chance you will need a replacement engine at some point.

I have never had a boat. Thinking about getting a used one 15k-20k is my budget.

One buddy says a "fish and ski" and recommended a Skeeter Fish and Ski - 2008 only 91 hours on it and the motor. Has a ski pole to hook rope to. 150hp outboard Yamaha. The low hours really has me intrigued. This one is 16K. All the vinyl is in mint condition. Its been inside most of its life.

Just saw your lake comment. This is not bad. 91 hours is not a lot. and Yamahaw is a good engine.

On a lake... and my plan is to have it on a lift all summer at the lake.

I was told that 91 hours on a 2008 is very few...and that is the reason I should get it... cuz it's a great value... etc...(My friend found it on a local website and called the guy selling it).

91 hours in 11 years of service is not good. That means they used the boat for 9 hours a year. If the boat goes long time without use the gaskets dry out and then rot.

In my opinion you want at least 25 hours per year of service. I am not saying that is a bad deal, but that low of engine hours does not improve the boat in my eyes.

If I move and buy a boat for a lake, i am getting a tritoon with 200 hp. Tons of room on the boat, you could have a ton of fishing rods, and it would have no problem pulling skiers.

91 hours in 11 years of service is not good. That means they used the boat for 9 hours a year. If the boat goes long time without use the gaskets dry out and then rot.

In my opinion you want at least 25 hours per year of service. I am not saying that is a bad deal, but that low of engine hours does not improve the boat in my eyes.

If I move and buy a boat for a lake, i am getting a tritoon with 200 hp. Tons of room on the boat, you could have a ton of fishing rods, and it would have no problem pulling skiers.

Tritoon is the way to go. Room for the kids to play, can still pull tubers around 25mph and fishing off of one is a breeze. :thumbsup:

Tritoon is the way to go. Room for the kids to play, can still pull tubers around 25mph and fishing off of one is a breeze. :thumbsup:

Agreed. Or maybe a Bayliner Bowrider if hes against toon boats.

Agreed. Or maybe a Bayliner Bowrider if hes against toon boats.

Tritoons have come so far though. The through the floor storage in the center toon is huge. You can have just about any configuration you want including a bar. :cheers:

What ever you do, don't go with carpet.

Agreed with this.

We enjoyed a Chaparall 19 H2O Sport for a couple years. They make a fish and ski as well.

I've been through lot's of boats. They've all been dedicated bass boats. If I had it to do all over again I'd have spent good money on a nice big pontoon boat. Wife and kids would have had a much better time. I really do regret that.

Ask the Minnesota Vikings for their recommendations.

Depends on how often youre going to use it. Honestly, it would be cheaper and less of a hassle to just rent a boat whenever you want to go out unless youre out on the water constantly like Skibum

See I dont know much about boats like you do. I wouldnt have thought of that. My wifes stepdad has his own boat mechanic business so whenever I decide to buy one (if I ever do cause I might just rent them) then I would be asking his advice and have him go with me. Also might be hitting you up on the boat prospect

Tritoons have come so far though. The through the floor storage in the center toon is huge. You can have just about any configuration you want including a bar. :cheers:

I skied and wake borderd behind a pontoon boat for years. It really is a perfect family lake boat.

Not sure where Ole Tubby lives but any kind of weather, Great Lakes, etc is out of the question.