Sign in to follow this  
titans&bucs&bearsohmy!

Religious guys... How fervent are you?

So I've been in Israel for about two weeks now. Obviously, you see a lot of religious stuff here.

The ultra orthodox Jews with their side locks and hats and such. The Muslims with their forehead bruises. Some weird Armenian Christian sect im not familiar with. The whole damn country shuts down from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday. Etc.

Today, we were in the old city of Jerusalem. Went to the church of the holy Sepulcher, where Jesus was crucified and rose from the dead.

People were doing weird ass stuff man. There is a rock slab where Jesus was prepared for burial. People kneel and put rosaries or other objects on it to absorb holy power or whatever.

A group of 50 or so eastern Europeans was chanting the hail Mary in whatever language in line to go in the tomb. I mean for an hour and a half without stopping.

People were swooning and almost passing out from the enormity of being there.

It really kinda weirded me out. It was very... Culty.

Do any of you take it that seriously?

How do the women look?

There are a lot of dead sexy ones. They have to military service, so they're fit. Tel Aviv chicks dress like slvts. I find the accent sexy.

Now the stereotype about noses and Jewish hair... Those are legit.

Honestly, I can't tell the Jews and Arabs apart. Both looks and language are extremely similar.

There are a lot of dead sexy ones.

Okay now tell us about the live ones. Freak.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of the evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and goodwill, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper, and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee!

• Like 1

All or nothing. In for a penny, in for a pound. You either believe every word of the Bible or none of it. If you dont believe the earth is 6k years old and a magic man made a magic boat with all the animals, you are fake religious. Period. Believe all the fairy tales or none of them. You either believe satan places dinosaur bones in the earth to trick us (lol people really think this) or you are a fake Christian.

All or nothing. In for a penny, in for a pound. You either believe every word of the Bible or none of it. If you dont believe the earth is 6k years old and a magic man made a magic boat with all the animals, you are fake religious. Period. Believe all the fairy tales or none of them. You either believe satan places dinosaur bones in the earth to trick us (lol people really think this) or you are a fake Christian.

Uhm...no. it's a little more nuanced than this.

• Like 1

Its weird for me. I really want to believe all these miracles and stories, but I just can buy in. Obviously if your from the South like me, its beat into as a kid to be God fearing, walk the straight and narrow, and have faith no matter what.

Its unfathomable for me to believe that if you live as a reasonably kind and helpful person, but you dont accept Christ as your savior, then you are destined for eternal burning in hell. Im afraid religion is nothing more than a bunch of rules made up for people not able to find their own way through life without screwing up. I just cant see some little old sweet lady in India, that cant even spell Jesus, will burn in hell when she dies.

• Like 1

So I've been in Israel for about two weeks now. Obviously, you see a lot of religious stuff here.

The ultra orthodox Jews with their side locks and hats and such. The Muslims with their forehead bruises. Some weird Armenian Christian sect im not familiar with. The whole damn country shuts down from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday. Etc.

Today, we were in the old city of Jerusalem. Went to the church of the holy Sepulcher, where Jesus was crucified and rose from the dead.

People were doing weird ass stuff man. There is a rock slab where Jesus was prepared for burial. People kneel and put rosaries or other objects on it to absorb holy power or whatever.

A group of 50 or so eastern Europeans was chanting the hail Mary in whatever language in line to go in the tomb. I mean for an hour and a half without stopping.

People were swooning and almost passing out from the enormity of being there.

It really kinda weirded me out. It was very... Culty.

Do any of you take it that seriously?

No.

Im not fervent at all. Speaking in toungues, faith healing, Virgin Mary images and all that is just hocus pocus.

You couldnt be more off base.

• Like 1

I consider myself a recovering catholic. Its man made hocus pocus.

The message you get from the Bible regarding fervency is more about the inner man. Praying and fervency go hand in hand. Not ritualistically praying a set prayer, but communion with your Lord. Earnest communication from the heart.

Not doing good deeds for it to be known of man.

Jesus rebuked the outward motions of the Pharisees as self-righteous/self-justifying, hence why we say things are Pharisaical when they're legalistically motivated and often hypocritical.

The model for the "assembly" as laid out in the Book of Acts is not encouraging of grand worshipfullness as somehow equaling holiness, rather it's possible "where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them."

So assembly wise and the blessings associated with that, that could be a homeless fort under a bridge.

How fervent you are starts and ends with where your heart's affections are. You could be in the grand holy looking place going through all the ins and outs and pretty :mellow: inside, but you're getting your perceived attendance points.

• Like 1

You couldnt be more off base.

He's the same one that said with newer cars, you don't need to change the oil as much.

Consider the source.

• Like 1

All in on Jesus. Anyone who’s been here the past two decades knows that already. Still a very flawed human being on my best day though.

• Like 1

Its weird for me. I really want to believe all these miracles and stories, but I just can buy in. Obviously if your from the South like me, its beat into as a kid to be God fearing, walk the straight and narrow, and have faith no matter what.

Its unfathomable for me to believe that if you live as a reasonably kind and helpful person, but you dont accept Christ as your savior, then you are destined for eternal burning in hell. Im afraid religion is nothing more than a bunch of rules made up for people not able to find their own way through life without screwing up. I just cant see some little old sweet lady in India, that cant even spell Jesus, will burn in hell when she dies.

my exact thoughts, and why I question Christianity as a whole

so you are telling me this all forgiving God, when you get to Heaven and you lived a good life is going to be like nope, you didn't buy into that Jesus part of it, so yah you are out. Hey Peter let that dude that killed and raped 14 people who accepted Jesus and asked for forgiveness a week before execution in

I'm Presbyterian... as good Southerns we pretend to be Christians for social reasons. But nobody actually takes it seriously.... unlike those freak Baptists and Catholics.

• Like 1

my exact thoughts, and why I question Christianity as a whole

so you are telling me this all forgiving God, when you get to Heaven and you lived a good life is going to be like nope, you didn't buy into that Jesus part of it, so yah you are out. Hey Peter let that dude that killed and raped 14 people who accepted Jesus and asked for forgiveness a week before execution in

Yeah, that is one of my big objections to it myself.

Another one I have has been reinforced seeing this place. None of the records are accurate. The Bible wasn't compiled until a century after jesus. Much of the gospels were rejected or destroyed. It's been tweaked and retranslated over and over to suit the needs of those in power.

Standing in the holy place watching people go crazy, in just wanted to say... This place was built 400+ years after Jesus died. Do you really believe they got the right spot?

Anyway, seeing all the religions living together in close quarters has been interesting. Honestly, my favorite part of the trip has been seeing the Palestinian areas and all the conflict stuff, the wall, the landmimes, etc. Next week we go to a Palestinian refugee camp and an illegal Jewish settlement in the west bank. That will be cool to me.

Almost every religion is easily ignored except for one.

Yeah, that is one of my big objections to it myself.

Another one I have has been reinforced seeing this place. None of the records are accurate. The Bible wasn't compiled until a century after jesus. Much of the gospels were rejected or destroyed. It's been tweaked and retranslated over and over to suit the needs of those in power.

Standing in the holy place watching people go crazy, in just wanted to say... This place was built 400+ years after Jesus died. Do you really believe they got the right spot?

Anyway, seeing all the religions living together in close quarters has been interesting. Honestly, my favorite part of the trip has been seeing the Palestinian areas and all the conflict stuff, the wall, the landmimes, etc. Next week we go to a Palestinian refugee camp and an illegal Jewish settlement in the west bank. That will be cool to me.

nice knowing you

fwiw if you die in a stupid place I wont be sad for you

nice knowing you

fwiw if you die in a stupid place I wont be sad for you

Already spent one full day in the west bank. It was really interesting. Have two more days of tours there. Everyone was really friendly. There are some huge tourist sites there (Bethlehem and Jericho notably) and they need the revenue badly.

The dangerous one is the Gaza strip. That one is not allowed to enter. It's the one run by Hamas.

And yeah, if I happen to be there on the wrong day and some sh!t happens, that's on me. But they bus thousands of tourists a day in there. It's quite safe.

All religion is, is an organized cult. Just with law, and tax exemptions.

Prays on the weak and needy.

The guy who believes in jesus is sane. But the guy who believes in Batman is crazy.

How are the the two differentiated? You're both f'n nuts!

Already spent one full day in the west bank. It was really interesting. Have two more days of tours there. Everyone was really friendly. There are some huge tourist sites there (Bethlehem and Jericho notably) and they need the revenue badly.

The dangerous one is the Gaza strip. That one is not allowed to enter. It's the one run by Hamas.

And yeah, if I happen to be there on the wrong day and some sh!t happens, that's on me. But they bus thousands of tourists a day in there. It's quite safe.

ahh ok, didnt know that, just always hear of these stories where people get captured by terrorists, and I just think oh well, Darwinism at its finest.

ahh ok, didnt know that, just always hear of these stories where people get captured by terrorists, and I just think oh well, Darwinism at its finest.

The Gaza strip is banned. If you want to go, you have to get permission from Israel. That takes months. You basically have to be a journalist. They tell you not to even go NEAR it, as stray rockets have been known to happen. The US might prosecute you anyway for giving aid to a terrorist organization.

The west bank is just kind of a sad place. The whole area is behind a 50 foot concrete wall (goes for some 500km). Checkpoints everywhere. There appeared to basically be zero economic opportunity.

I enjoyed speaking with people there. I was surprised to hear their take on the conflict. Most of them want to have one state... Basically just political representation.

Frankly, after some reading and seeing the place, I tend to side with the Palestinians. Was not expecting that.

The Gaza strip is banned. If you want to go, you have to get permission from Israel. That takes months. You basically have to be a journalist. They tell you not to even go NEAR it, as stray rockets have been known to happen. The US might prosecute you anyway for giving aid to a terrorist organization.

The west bank is just kind of a sad place. The whole area is behind a 50 foot concrete wall (goes for some 500km). Checkpoints everywhere. There appeared to basically be zero economic opportunity.

I enjoyed speaking with people there. I was surprised to hear their take on the conflict. Most of them want to have one state... Basically just political representation.

Frankly, after some reading and seeing the place, I tend to side with the Palestinians. Was not expecting that.

Israel has offered a single state on more than one occasion, but the Palestinian govt continues to want to live as kill all Jews. If the want to talk to Israel, then they shouldn't have allowed Hamas to be in charge, one side has a terrorist leadership, the other has been fighting to not be wiped from the earth for thousands of years

Israel has offered a single state on more than one occasion, but the Palestinian govt continues to want to live as kill all Jews. If the want to talk to Israel, then they shouldn't have allowed Hamas to be in charge, one side has a terrorist leadership, the other has been fighting to not be wiped from the earth for thousands of years

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought too before I read up on it and came.

There are two parts of Palestine. The Gaza strip, which is run by Hamas. They are terrorists. They cannot be reasoned with. Over there is fundamental Islam, no booze and hijab and burkas and stuff.

The west bank has a whole different government. The PLA basically. It seemed quite liberal. We had beers. No women hardly wearing hijab.

The two groups basically can't mingle, as it's virtually impossible for them to meet up.

Plus which, I was not aware how bad the Jews take over in 48 was. Massacres happened, and hundreds of thousands were displaced.

And at no point, including today, have Jews been the majority in Israel. That is why they don't want a one state solution. They'd be the minority.

Slab where Jesus was prepared for burial? As I understand it if you lay on your back and reach out and kiss this thing while your heads upside down it'll bring you good luck.

...or wait.

That might be the blarney Stone.

Honestly, my favorite part of the trip has been seeing the Palestinian areas and all the conflict stuff, the wall,

the landmimes,

Landmimes are scary.

you're just walking through a field minding your own business and suddenly boom! Some dude in white face paint pretends to be walking against the wind or trapped in a box. they really should outlaw those things.

It's not exactly a Ginger or Maryanne choice, but if it's between the Muslims and the Jews I'm taking the Jewish side. Don't really need particulars.

What is fervent? when the little boys go to the priest and count his sperm?

It's not exactly a Ginger or Maryanne choice, but if it's between the Muslims and the Jews I'm taking the Jewish side. Don't really need particulars.

That is largely the method that the US, Britain, and the rest of the powers that be employed.

But based on the facts and the right and wrong of it, it's hard to support that opinion.

I can say from just talking to the random people I've met, the Arab side comes off more reasonably.

That is largely the method that the US, Britain, and the rest of the powers that be employed.

But based on the facts and the right and wrong of it, it's hard to support that opinion.

I can say from just talking to the random people I've met, the Arab side comes off more reasonably.

The Arabs, the ones that strap bombs to kids? Yes, very reasonable group.

What is fervent? when the little boys go to the priest and count his sperm?

It could be argued that the ones that would commit such acts never had faith at all.

Even atheists have their share of predators.