Sign in to follow this  
MTSkiBum

Sirius XM radio

I get one year free so i might as well use it.

I like to listen to weekend talk radio, home improvement, gardening, car talk, outdoors, etc. Houston has many good weekend AM radio stations.

During the week these same radio stations are mostly political crapfests, but on the weekend they are great.

Are there normal talk shows on XM radio that are not comedy, sports, politics, or news?

Any recommendations?

I've switched to audio books 95% of the time I'm in the truck

I pretty much listen to only MLB Radio, NFL Radio, Comedy Round Up (formerly Blue Collar Comedy), and the Fantasy Sports Channel.  I listen to about 0.0 seconds of music per year (except for when they had the Billy Joel Channel).  Sucks that I'm forced to have it.

I have a set group of music stations, and also a range of news stuff, comedy is also good....

In so far as news, I try to peruse a range in order to get a wider set of inputs and viewpoints.....but over the last year I have come to assiduously avoid CNN which I find simply too toxic to endure.

Also.....yacht rock baby....   :walkman:

11 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I pretty much listen to only MLB Radio, NFL Radio, Comedy Round Up (formerly Blue Collar Comedy), and the Fantasy Sports Channel.  I listen to about 0.0 seconds of music per year (except for when they had the Billy Joel Channel).  Sucks that I'm forced to have it.

Why are you forced to have it?  Live in the boonies?

Also, I totally agree on the Billy Joel channel.  I loved listening to him tell the stories of how certain songs came to be written, and other artists playing their top 10 songs of his.  Otherwise yeah, I don't really  listen to music on it.

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

Also, I totally agree on the Billy Joel channel.  I loved listening to him tell the stories of how certain songs came to be written, and other artists playing their top 10 songs of his.  Otherwise yeah, I don't really  listen to music on it.

I think what he is saying is that Sirius could be better if you could sub to certain channels only

50 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

No, sorry, my comment may have been vague - my bad.  I'm not force to have Sirius/XM, I choose to buy it.  I'm forced my Sirius/XM to have a package where I must buy music and pay the extra money for the royalty fees.  They offer no package that is void of music.  I'd be perfectly content with a sports and entertainment package only.  If I want music, I can turn on my regular radio.

I assume you guys know this already, but you don't have to pay the full price for service.  I call them a few days before renewal each year and tell them I am not paying that amount and, if they can give it to me for what I paid last year (1/2 price), then I will consider it.  Takes about 5-10 minutes on the phone. 

6 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

I assume you guys know this already, but you don't have to pay the full price for service.  I call them a few days before renewal each year and tell them I am not paying that amount and, if they can give it to me for what I paid last year (1/2 price), then I will consider it.  Takes about 5-10 minutes on the phone. 

Yep.  

I usually call them about a month before renewal and say I am cancelling, they will come back with a counter and I make them counter at least once more before I accept....   👍

8 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Yes, but every package has music.  It's unavoidable.

12 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

I tried this.  The thing that annoys me is you have to give them a credit card and they auto bill you.  I don't like that personally.  I'd rather get a renewal notice so I can then call in and pay the negotiated, reduced price.  I only have Sirius in the Mustang, which is a toy.  So no way I'm paying full price but don't want to have to deal with the hassles of auto billing every 6 months or year.  Keep debating if it's worth the hassle because we do like having it in the car when we use it. 

16 minutes ago, Strike said:

I tried this.  The thing that annoys me is you have to give them a credit card and they auto bill you.  I don't like that personally.  I'd rather get a renewal notice so I can then call in and pay the negotiated, reduced price.  I only have Sirius in the Mustang, which is a toy.  So no way I'm paying full price but don't want to have to deal with the hassles of auto billing every 6 months or year.  Keep debating if it's worth the hassle because we do like having it in the car when we use it. 

Call them.  It has changed.  I have no credit card on file for them so that they can't auto-bill me.  They used to require it, but they no longer do (at least I have not).  

I just renewed a few days ago.  They were sending me a bill.  Then I went online a couple of days later and paid via credit card that I did not store.  Instead of over $300 it was $150 for the year.  Not a great deal, but I figure $12.50 per month is something I get enough value with.  

1 minute ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Call them.  It has changed.  I have no credit card on file for them so that they can't auto-bill me.  They used to require it, but they no longer do (at least I have not).  

I just renewed a few days ago.  They were sending me a bill.  Then I went online a couple of days later and paid via credit card that I did not store.  Instead of over $300 it was $150 for the year.  Not a great deal, but I figure $12.50 per month is something I get enough value with.  

Absolutely.  I'd be fine with this rate even though the car sits for weeks/months at a time.  It's worth it when we do use the car.  Glad to hear I might be able to renew without them auto charging it when renewal time comes.  I've got a $5/month offer from them for 6 months sitting on my desk right now.  I'll check it out tonight.  Thanks!

I tell them I'm going to cancel unless they renew my $5/month for 5 months deal.  You have to tell them you plan to cancel.  They used to offer me worse deals and I'd turn them down until they agreed to this deal.  Now they more or less agree right off of the bat.  :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Do you guys use the App for streaming and video?

The only thing I've ever used was the radio in the car.   Isn't the account tied to a specific receiver?  I'm not paying twice.

1 minute ago, Strike said:

The only thing I've ever used was the radio in the car.   Isn't the account tied to a specific receiver?  I'm not paying twice.

It is tied to a device, but my subscription has the streaming (all access), so I use the app a lot when I am at the gym.  I can utilize their on-demand content.

4 hours ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Do you guys use the App for streaming and video?

I use it with my bluetooth speaker when I'm at the lake.

3 minutes ago, kutulu said:

Isn't the app like an extra 20 bucks per year or something like that?

I don't pay any extra

Fockers tried to rip me off... Glad I turned that down and eventually cancelled. Liked it well enough but didn't really have the opportunity to use it much...wfh

9 hours ago, Ray Lewis's Limo Driver said:

I have a set group of music stations, and also a range of news stuff, comedy is also good....

In so far as news, I try to peruse a range in order to get a wider set of inputs and viewpoints.....but over the last year I have come to assiduously avoid CNN which I find simply too toxic to endure.

You want some truly toxic xm radio, try Joe Madison on Urban Radio. Calls himself "The Black Eagle". Then there's Dean Oebiedallah on progress politics I think. You can't really listen if you are sober, but after a few cold ones, it's holds some serious entertainment value.