Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Were any of you into disco

I know some of you are old enough to have been around when it was popular. Were any of you into it when it was popular? Such as going out disco dancing?

I know some of you are old enough to have been around when it was popular. Were any of you into it when it was popular? Such as going out disco dancing?

It was one of our mods in gym class in 5th, 6 grade.

I remember disco duck vividly.

We also square danced.

I lump it in with diagramming sentences, typing class, learning cursive, that kind of crap.

In the early-mid 70's I was into Aerosmith, The Beatles, Skynyrd, Zep, etc.

Then, in '77 I saw Saturday Night Fever, and wanted chicks to hang all over me like they did Travolta. So, I bought the soundtrack, a couple of silk shirts, and a gold chain. I practiced the dance moves in my living room, and broke them out at the next homecoming dance. It was not what I would call a success.

Shortly after that, my best friend gave me an album as a birthday present. It was from some new band called Van Halen. That was the end of my interest in disco.

I was 8 years old when Saturday Night Fever came out. I was already liking disco back then - but I really started loving it after that.

I was a pre-teen during the disco era so never went to clubs. I did like some of the music -- Bee Gees, ABBA, Play That Funky Music -- but I mostly listened to rock.

I didn't get into dancing until college, when I realized that guys who danced at parties got the chicks.

I was a pre-teen during the disco era so never went to clubs. I did like some of the music -- Bee Gees, ABBA, Play That Funky Music -- but I mostly listened to rock.

I didn't get into dancing until college, when I realized that guys who danced at parties got the chicks.

So you really feel like bragging about getting the MIT chicks....mmmmmmmmmmmmkay. :lol:

5 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

So you really feel like bragging about getting the MIT chicks....mmmmmmmmmmmmkay. :lol:

Boston is arguably the best college town in the country.  And you can't swing a dead cat without hitting an all-girls school, at least when I was there -- schools like Wellesley, Simmons, and my personal favorite, the Katherine Gibbs Secretarial school.  The beauty of Katy Gibbs was that it was a one year school, so you had a constant influx of freshman girls who wanted to party and had no older girls to slow them down.  Plus they weren't exactly Rhodes scholars.  And they were looking for an MRS degree.

At the time, MIT had by far the laxest drinking laws in the area, but most of the fraternities were in the Back Bay and the blue hairs there started complaining to the police about parties.  Our house was on the Cambridge side on campus however, so we had no restrictions.  Guys from BU, Northeastern, and regular townies tried to get into our parties all of the time. 

My first new emoticon, looking to see how it comes out...  🤤

Yeth of courth

We like pop

we like soul

we like rock

But we never liked disco 

17 hours ago, RaiderHater's Revenge said:

hated it in the 70's hated it when it returned in the 90's, but chicks at clubs loved it so you had to play along

Nailed it 

Disco sucks 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jerryskids said:

Boston is arguably the best college town in the country.  And you can't swing a dead cat without hitting an all-girls school, at least when I was there -- schools like Wellesley, Simmons, and my personal favorite, the Katherine Gibbs Secretarial school.  The beauty of Katy Gibbs was that it was a one year school, so you had a constant influx of freshman girls who wanted to party and had no older girls to slow them down.  Plus they weren't exactly Rhodes scholars.  And they were looking for an MRS degree.

At the time, MIT had by far the laxest drinking laws in the area, but most of the fraternities were in the Back Bay and the blue hairs there started complaining to the police about parties.  Our house was on the Cambridge side on campus however, so we had no restrictions.  Guys from BU, Northeastern, and regular townies tried to get into our parties all of the time. 

My first new emoticon, looking to see how it comes out...  🤤

You went to MIT?

25 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Some guys need a prop to get laid. Some don't. 

Some guys like hot chicks some don’t

Worst music they ever played at the roller rink.

:unsure:

1 minute ago, iam90sbaby said:

Nothing, just cool. 

Thanks.  I mentioned it long ago in a drunken stupor and it became known, so I just went with it.  I'm surprised you didn't know.  Penny used to troll me about it on scientific arguments, before he apparently fell off a cliff and died.  :(

2 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Thanks.  I mentioned it long ago in a drunken stupor and it became known, so I just went with it.  I'm surprised you didn't know.  Penny used to troll me about it on scientific arguments, before he apparently fell off a cliff and died.  :(

I knew you were an engineer, just didn’t know you went to MIT. That’s sweet. 

22 minutes ago, nospk said:

Some guys like hot chicks some don’t

Some guys like sluts. Like your Dad. 

1 hour ago, jerryskids said:

Is it possible that he just headed over to the liberal safe-space bored at fbgheys?

6 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Is it possible that he just headed over to the liberal safe-space bored at fbgheys?

Possible I suppose.  But he seemed to like duking it out here on a variety of topics, I respected him for that.  Seems unlike him to just leave, at least without a bored suicide thread.  :dunno:

Only Newbie.......and just like Disco, he's dead Jim!

Disco was a little before my time. I was maybe 3 when SNF came out. I remember us having a KC and the Sunshine Band 8 track. I still enjoy some of the songs from the era.

17 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Some guys like sluts. Like your Dad. 

Did you ever find out who the father of your kid is?

• Haha 1

"I was made for loving you baby, you were made for loving me"

this is probably the only disco I've liked....

On 2/5/2019 at 9:28 AM, vuduchile said:

In the early-mid 70's I was into Aerosmith, The Beatles, Skynyrd, Zep, etc.

Then, in '77 I saw Saturday Night Fever, and wanted chicks to hang all over me like they did Travolta. So, I bought the soundtrack, a couple of silk shirts, and a gold chain. I practiced the dance moves in my living room, and broke them out at the next homecoming dance. It was not what I would call a success.

Shortly after that, my best friend gave me an album as a birthday present. It was from some new band called Van Halen. That was the end of my interest in disco.

This was pretty much me except I had a full blown leisure suit complete with the large heeled shoes and I could dance,even won a few contests back in the day.I would actually go to a Van Halen concert on a Friday with the guys and then be out on a Saturday night with a date and dancing in a Soul Train line :D

40 minutes ago, nzoner said:

This was pretty much me except I had a full blown leisure suit complete with the large heeled shoes and I could dance,even won a few contests back in the day.I would actually go to a Van Halen concert on a Friday with the guys and then be out on a Saturday night with a date and dancing in a Soul Train line :D

Awesome.  I had the platforms too.  I wanted a white suit, but couldn't afford one.  I had a 3 piece denim suit instead.   

1 minute ago, vuduchile said:

Awesome.  I had the platforms too.  I wanted a white suit, but couldn't afford one.  I had a 3 piece denim suit instead.   

Pics?

I had a denim jacket and a pack of Marlboro reds. WNEW 102.7 playing on the car stereo.