Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Baja California. Or is it Mexico?

Maybe I shouldn't admit this. But you guys figured out long ago that I'm retarded. I don't understand when I look at a map you see the US Mexican border. You see this thin strip of land that's called Baja California. Then some sort of nature preserve. Then Baja California Sur. And it's basically a peninsula. with the Pacific on the west and the gulf of California on the east.

But is it California, Mexico? The whole thing throws me off. It would be like London , Scotland.

I feel stupid for not ever understanding this. Perhaps one of you geniuses can advise. Tia

It belongs to Mexico, the name is just a name. Once you cross the border from San Diego into TJ for example, that’s Mexico and it’s in the Mexican state of Baja.

California was named by the Spanish. We took upper California in the Mexican American war, and left Mexico with Baja (lower) California.

It is Mexico.  I have been fishing in the Mexican Baja.  Sort of surreal.  Lots of fun, but let's just say that safety is not their #1 priority.  

4 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

It is Mexico.  I have been fishing in the Mexican Baja.  Sort of surreal.  Lots of fun, but let's just say that safety is not their #1 priority.  

I've never been despite living in AZ for 30 years this spring.  Lots of cruises available but my wife and I aren't really cruise people. My son went to Cabo with some fraternity brothers, sounds like they had a drunken good time.  :cheers:

We are going to Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco) in March for spring break.  That is the go-to point for Phoenicians.  Right at the top of the Sea of Cortez.

2 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I've never been despite living in AZ for 30 years this spring.  Lots of cruises available but my wife and I aren't really cruise people. My son went to Cabo with some fraternity brothers, sounds like they had a drunken good time.  :cheers:

We are going to Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco) in March for spring break.  That is the go-to point for Phoenicians.  Right at the top of the Sea of Cortez.

We were in Loreto with a bunch of guys.  Went fishing on these 12' boats.  3 guys, a "captain", big cooler full of beer and 2 large plastic drums of gas.  No life preservers.  Captain is smoking like a fiend with the opening of one of the gas drums about 18 inches away.  No people to be seen for miles.

Caught dorado (mahi mahi), yellowtail and I hooked a huge manta ray.  He worked me for like 30 minutes before we got close enough to see what it was.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

We were in Loreto with a bunch of guys.  Went fishing on these 12' boats.  3 guys, a "captain", big cooler full of beer and 2 large plastic drums of gas.  No life preservers.  Captain is smoking like a fiend with the opening of one of the gas drums about 18 inches away.  No people to be seen for miles.

Caught dorado (mahi mahi), yellowtail and I hooked a huge manta ray.  He worked me for like 30 minutes before we got close enough to see what it was.  

Deep sea fishing is a blast.  Two years ago we did it off of the Carolina Outer Banks; unfortunately nothing was biting except little Rays.  But we had beer and food and I wasn't working, so it was a good day.  :cheers:

On 2/7/2019 at 1:26 PM, wiffleball said:

Huh. Thank you.

Now I want to go fishing  in The Gulf of Cali.

I don’t think so. :nono:

On 2/7/2019 at 1:56 PM, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

The Captain of the boat?

• Haha 1