Sign in to follow this  
SenatorRock

Toyota Sequoia, 4runner, Tacoma under $10k

I am looking at buying a Sequoia, 4runner, or Tacoma in the 120k mi, $10k range.

Would be a daily driver, combination of highway, city, and some off road driving.

First gen Sequoia, 2007 and earlier; 98-04 or so for 4runner and Tacoma.

Because of the obsession with 4runners and Tacos their resale is equal or higher than Sequoia even though Sequoia is bigger, nicer, and more powerful.

Anyone have experience or expertise with these older models?

I had an old tundra(2001), same transmission and engine as the Sequoia. Awful gas mileage, terrible acceleration, worst brakes ever, and towed significantly worse than my wife's old Acura MDX(2008).

I love old Toyotas, but the problem is so does everyone else. They no longer provide the value they once did. The cost of these high mileage, 20 year old vehicles is ridiculous. I think you get a better deal buying something else for cheaper even if it means higher repair cost.

Saying all that, have you looked into an fj cruiser? They may be cheaper than a 4runner?

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

Suburban

The 5.3 engine and 460le tranny in the Suburban/Tahoe is as bulletproof as anything Toyota makes.  Ive got and old 1991 V6 Toyota, a 2012 4runner, and 2001 Suburban.  The Sub has 255k miles on it.  The substantially smaller 4runner with a 4.0 gets about 16.5 mpg, and the Suburban gets 14.  I love them both.  If you are going Toyota for dependability, you will find that in the Sub/Tahoe also.

• Thanks 1

I have an 04 suburban. Love the vehicle. Toes my boat great.. super comphy. Mpg is fine for siz e

One issue of you live in the cold. Brae  lines are known to rot out in salt. I got stranded over night on NYC with no bakes

Anyway they are a great, super luxury vehicle

9 hours ago, RaiderHater's Revenge said:

you should wait, cause I hear combustion engines will be banned very soon

:first:

14 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

I have an 04 suburban. Love the vehicle. Toes my boat great.. super comphy. Mpg is fine for siz e

One issue of you live in the cold. Brae  lines are known to rot out in salt. I got stranded over night on NYC with no bakes

Anyway they are a great, super luxury vehicle

I’m in my 3rd Avalanche.  My 1st vehicle was an 87 suburban and it was a beast.  The only vehicle that even compares in an Avalanche.

9 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

I had an old tundra(2001), same transmission and engine as the Sequoia. Awful gas mileage, terrible acceleration, worst brakes ever, and towed significantly worse than my wife's old Acura MDX(2008). I hade the same pickup. Agree. My 4runner was miles better in all aspects above 

Saying all that, have you looked into an fj cruiser? They may be cheaper than a 4runner?

FJ Cruisers are insanely high priced, even for a toyota 

1 hour ago, Alias Detective said:

Bought an 08 4Runner limited with 85,000 for $16,000.

7BC25737-B146-4ECF-A2DD-C39936176841.jpeg

How do you like it? Any major issue so far?

Is '08 when they had the V8 option?

2 minutes ago, SenatorRock said:

You could’ve had a V8. :doh:

21 minutes ago, SenatorRock said:

Drives and runs good.  Only put 2000 miles on it.  I’m  confident I could get more for it than I paid.

30 minutes ago, SenatorRock said:

Here is what I bought.  It was for my 16 year old and I forgot exactly what the model was.  I started a thread a while back and pulled the below for reference.

“Settled on a 2008 Toyota 4 Runner Sport with a Toyota installed 3 inch lift and 17in pro comp extreme black wheels and brand new tires.

87,000 miles and well taken care of for $15,500”

2 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

Yep.  Should be a recall on the brake lines.  Its widespread.  Mine busted while driving with my kids.

1 hour ago, shorepatrol said:

FJ Cruisers are insanely high priced, even for a toyota 

:thumbsup:  Especially since they quit making them.  

41 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Yep.  Should be a recall on the brake lines.  Its widespread.  Mine busted while driving with my kids.

That may actually not be Chevy's fault.  Let's just say that your wife can be really pushy.  :unsure:

My SR5, 4X4, Extended cab, is the model that became Tacomas a few years after it was made. It just turned 30 years old. My dad gave it to me, and I will be giving it to my son. 

29 minutes ago, BiPolarBear said:

My SR5, 4X4, Extended cab, is the model that became Tacomas a few years after it was made. It just turned 30 years old. My dad gave it to me, and I will be giving it to my son. 

Hoping I can do the same with my 1991.  She's got a broken clutch mounting bracket.  I just dont have time to fix it.  Shes setting out by the barn.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BiPolarBear said:

Pics?

2 hours ago, BiPolarBear said:

Had a red 86 22RE 5 speed 4x4 single cab in highschool. Took a beating but was stupid gutless. I don't miss it