Sign in to follow this  
Mike Honcho

Matt Kuchar stiffs caddie

feel-good story involving a local caddie in Mexico who worked for Matt Kuchar during his victory last fall at the Mayakoba Classic has turned into a dispute over how much the temporary caddie should have been paid.

David Giral Ortiz told Golf.com that he was paid $5,000 by Kuchar, who won for the first time in four years and earned $1,296,000 for the victory.

Social media reports began surfacing last month when Kuchar was in contention for -- and eventually won -- the Sony Open in Hawaii that suggested Kuchar had paid the caddie, who goes by the name El Tucan, $3,000, well below what a regular caddie would make for being on the winning bag.

Customary to pay a 5% of winnings, 10% for a top 10 finish, and maybe a little extra for a win.   Kuchar would have paid his regular caddie 130,000.   

4 minutes ago, Filthy Fernadez said:

Do they have caddies on the moon?

yes---Lunar Module Captain Edgar Mitchell was one.

• Like 1

Imagine being stiffed by Tiger?  you'd walk funny for a week. Lets ask KSB

1 hour ago, Filthy Fernadez said:

Do they have caddies on the moon?

This is one board standard that will always be funny to me.  

• Like 1

That guy probabaly  still has his bah mitzvah money. 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/matt-kuchar-somehow-defended-his-embarrassingly-low-payment-to-caddie-after-dollar12m-win/ar-BBTyUiK?ocid=ientp

Matt Kuchar confirmed Wednesday that he did pay his Mayakoba caddie $5,000 and defended the payment as "fair and good."

"Making $5,000 is a great week," he said. @WillGrayGC with more from Kuchar

Um, no not really. Not when you make 1.3 million :doh:

Don't really expect him to give the 10% like he would to his normal caddy. But 5% would be fair, 7 or 8 would be generous. He gave 0.38%. Yikes.

15 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

1.3 mil...after taxes is what?

Around 800k?

Not defending kooch..

Good point. Golfing sucks. He should quit

Apparently, they worked out payment in advance with an increasing amount depending on where he finished.  The caddie agreed to it before the tournament.  

Still a cheapskate, but didn't stiff the caddie.  

From the story....

Kuchar said he told Ortiz he would pay him $1,000 if he missed the cut, $2,000 if he made the cut, $3,000 if he had a top-20 and $4,000 if he had a top-10. "The extra $1,000 was, 'Thank you - it was a great week.' Those were the terms. He was in agreement with those terms. That's where I struggle. I don't know what happened. Someone must have said, `You need much more.'"

I struggle with this one.......I am assuming this dude didn't have a normal caddying gig, so he was probably thrilled with the deal offered. Then consider that Kuchar missed the cut 16% of the time last year, and the caddie gets nothing if that happens, which would have really sucked on a one off gig.

Obviously the best thing would have been for Kuchar to offer a much better deal up front.....But based on the deal, the guy was owed $4k and he got a 25% bonus. If he had doubled the deal and gave the guy $8k, we still rip him. Shiiit, if he upped it from $4k to $50k, many would have still called him cheap.

My judgement is Kuchar did nothing wrong here, but he missed out on a layup opportunity to do a really cool thing for someone that very few would have whiffed on.

He paid him 96,791 pesos.  That's a shitload of pesos.  :banana:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cbfalcon said:

From the story....

I struggle with this one.......I am assuming this dude didn't have a normal caddying gig, so he was probably thrilled with the deal offered. Then consider that Kuchar missed the cut 16% of the time last year, and the caddie gets nothing if that happens, which would have really sucked on a one off gig.

Obviously the best thing would have been for Kuchar to offer a much better deal up front.....But based on the deal, the guy was owed $4k and he got a 25% bonus. If he had doubled the deal and gave the guy $8k, we still rip him. Shiiit, if he upped it from $4k to $50k, many would have still called him cheap.

My judgement is Kuchar did nothing wrong here, but he missed out on a layup opportunity to do a really cool thing for someone that very few would have whiffed on.

I read that this caddie regularly caddied at this particular golf.course and made around $200/day doing so.

With CBF on this.  If he throws him something after the win, even if its 25 or 50k, you can argue its cheap but at least he acknowledged the win and the caddies effort.

2 minutes ago, patweisers44 said:

With CBF on this.  If he throws him something after the win, even if its 25 or 50k, you can argue its cheap but at least he acknowledged the win and the caddies effort.

He gave the guy 25% more than the max they agreed on.  He DID acknowledge the win.  It's still extremely cheap and he deserves any grief he gets IMO.

6 minutes ago, Strike said:

He gave the guy 25% more than the max they agreed on.  He DID acknowledge the win.  It's still extremely cheap and he deserves any grief he gets IMO.

Agreed.

Especially when you factor in that Matt Kuchar is hardly hurting for $$. He could have given this dude $100k and would have never missed it.... Given the PR hit Kooch has taken, I bet he wishes he had gone about it differently... That was one expensive $5000 gesture.  

26 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Agreed.

Especially when you factor in that Matt Kuchar is hardly hurting for $$. He could have given this dude $100k and would have never missed it.... Given the PR hit Kooch has taken, I bet he wishes he had gone about it differently... That was one expensive $5000 gesture.  

In the long run, he doesn't care.  This will blow over and we'll all move on to the next outrage.  I'm sure Tiger will come down with AIDS or sumthin in the near future. 

Tells you what a shithole Mexico is. The guy agrees to $5000 when the going rate is 10%. Kuchar is a bum for taking advantage of the desperation in that country.

The other golfers are now saying he's the biggest douche around. Considering the  douche factor for golfers and those that watch golf is pretty high, that says a lot. 

Matt Kuchar Blinks.   

Matt Kuchar to apologize to caddie, pay him full $50,000

LOS ANGELES -- Matt Kuchar heard a few catcalls from spectators at the Genesis Open on Friday. He's seen the negativity on social media and in the golf world at large. And he decided to make amends.

After his first round Friday at Riviera Country Club, Kuchar issued a statement in which he apologized and said he would be making full payment of the amount a fill-in caddie requested after the veteran golfer paid him just $5,000 following his November victory at the Mayakoba Classic.

David Giral Ortiz, who filled in as Kuchar's caddie during the tournament in Mexico, had requested a total of $50,000; Kuchar earned $1,296,000 for the victory and caddies are typically paid a percentage.

"I let myself, my family, my partners and those close to me down, but I also let David down," Kuchar said. "I plan to call David tonight when I'm off the course to apologize for the situation he has been put in, and I have made sure he has received the full total that he has requested.''

11 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

Matt Kuchar Blinks.   

Matt Kuchar to apologize to caddie, pay him full $50,000

LOS ANGELES -- Matt Kuchar heard a few catcalls from spectators at the Genesis Open on Friday. He's seen the negativity on social media and in the golf world at large. And he decided to make amends.

After his first round Friday at Riviera Country Club, Kuchar issued a statement in which he apologized and said he would be making full payment of the amount a fill-in caddie requested after the veteran golfer paid him just $5,000 following his November victory at the Mayakoba Classic.

David Giral Ortiz, who filled in as Kuchar's caddie during the tournament in Mexico, had requested a total of $50,000; Kuchar earned $1,296,000 for the victory and caddies are typically paid a percentage.

"I let myself, my family, my partners and those close to me down, but I also let David down," Kuchar said. "I plan to call David tonight when I'm off the course to apologize for the situation he has been put in, and I have made sure he has received the full total that he has requested.''

Mooch is still clueless here. Paying the dude exactly what he wanted does nothing. Still a cheap fock. At minimum should have doubled it to look good.

On 2/16/2019 at 7:47 PM, edjr said:

Mooch is still clueless here. Paying the dude exactly what he wanted does nothing. Still a cheap fock. At minimum should have doubled it to look good.

Hell, you've already taken the bad publicity, might as well keep your money. Not like anything thinks he's not a doosh now or anything.