Sign in to follow this  
Baker Boy

Amazon not coming to NY

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/amazon-drops-plan-to-build-headquarters-in-new-york-city/2019/02/14/b7457efa-3078-11e9-86ab-5d02109aeb01_story.html?utm_term=.9b603734665b

Amazon said Thursday it was canceling plans to build a headquarters campus in New York City because of local opposition.

“There are a number of folks on the ground who oppose our presence,” spokeswoman Jodi Seth said. “We don’t think there’s a path forward in terms of working with them over the long term.”

The company issued a statement shortly before noon saying it did not intend to reopen its search for a second headquarters at this time, but would continue with plans to put at least 25,000 jobs in Arlington in Northern Virginia and 5,000 in Nashville. New York was scheduled to get 25,000 jobs under the original announcement in November, which split the 50,000 jobs for a second headquarters between New York and Virginia.

“We do not intend to re-open the HQ2 search at this time,” the company said in a blog post. “We will proceed as planned in Northern Virginia and Nashville, and we will continue to hire and grow across our 17 corporate offices and tech hubs in the U.S. and Canada.

“Thank you again to Governor Cuomo, Mayor de Blasio, and the many other community leaders and residents who welcomed our plans and supported us along the way. We hope to have future chances to collaborate as we continue to build our presence in New York over time.”

Can't wait to see AOC claim victory for eliminating 25, 000 jobs coming to NY.  Gotta fight the good fight for those unwilling to work. 

OK, if they bump up the presence in NoVa I am good with that....I might actually take a poke and see what they have to offer....

BUT....adding all those bodies and cars into an area that is so congested, sweet jesus....I cannot fathom the mayhem it would create....😱

I don't know. I have read articles that these sweetheart deals cities try to use to get businesses to come aren't a good idea. Maybe not an awful thing. 

Any normal working human that was vying for one of those jobs just became a member of the R party. The Ds just keeping raising the bar on pure stupidity.

Amazon is a trash company. They have a fullfilment center near Nashville. They pay no tax. They treat their employees like focking dirt. Hire a bunch for busy times, then fire them at a whim.

I'm all for enticing companies to bring jobs. But Amazon wants a whole lot for not much.  

2 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Amazon is a trash company. They have a fullfilment center near Nashville. They pay no tax. They treat their employees like focking dirt. Hire a bunch for busy times, then fire them at a whim.

I'm all for enticing companies to bring jobs. But Amazon wants a whole lot for not much.  

I was under the impression that the HQ2 jobs in NoVA and previously NY will be well paying tech jobs like the ones here in Seattle. Not the warehouse jobs that you're referring to. I could be wrong of course. 

4 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

I have no crystal ball about what will really happen, but what Amazon is offering is not "a whole lot for not much". 

2 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

I have no crystal ball about what will really happen, but what Amazon is offering is not "a whole lot for not much". 

My point is they want a tax free existence, much infrastructure investment, and have generally provided jobs that are temporary and sh!tty.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio had touted the benefits of Amazon's HQ2, which included a pledge from the tech giant to create 25,000 jobs, paying an average of $150,000 per year in exchange for a slew of city and state tax breaks and subsidies worth up to $3 billion.

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/amazon-pulls-out-of-plan-to-build-new-york-city-headquarters

15 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

My point is they want a tax free existence, much infrastructure investment, and have generally provided jobs that are temporary and sh!tty.

How much tax do they collect without Amazon coming?

Just now, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Sure. I get it. I'm just tired of the corporations weilding ALL of the power. 

Are you OK with it when the NFL does it?

2 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

Are you OK with it when the NFL does it?

No. Not at all. I am opposed to virtually all public stadium deals. I voted against the one in Nashville. 

It’s a sad state of affairs when a company like Amazon wants a new location and municipalities compete against each other by offering tax breaks, funding and other perks to see who has the “right” to host them. 

6 minutes ago, MDC said:

It’s a sad state of affairs when a company like Amazon wants a new location and municipalities compete against each other by offering tax breaks, funding and other perks to see who has the “right” to host them. 

Amazon wants a reason to invest in a location. (Most) Voters want jobs.

Even if literally every city, county, state, etc say "fock it, no special treatment for any company", companies will still choose locations based on the costs and benefits of investing there.

22 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Sure. I get it. I'm just tired of the corporations weilding ALL of the power. 

They don't have all the power.  It's a negotiation, and the city should definitely ensure that they benefit from the arrangement.  But it's simplistic to say they aren't paying sh#t and aren't paying taxes.  NY literally just gave away 25k jobs at an average salary of 150k.  This isn't a warehouse.  There is no way to justify the stupidity of the people who caused this deal to fall apart.

7 minutes ago, Vikings4ever said:

Amazon wants a reason to invest in a location. (Most) Voters want jobs.

Even if literally every city, county, state, etc say "fock it, no special treatment for any company", companies will still choose locations based on the costs and benefits of investing there.

Might as well. Amazon’s bidding process was a pure fake dog and pony show anyway. They wanted to go to NY and the DC area and issued an open RFP purely for leverage. Fock them and their tax dodging and crappy jobs. 

1 minute ago, MDC said:

Might as well. Amazon’s bidding process was a pure fake dog and pony show anyway. They wanted to go to NY and the DC area and issued an open RFP purely for leverage. Fock them and their tax dodging and crappy jobs.

I agree. $150K/yr is focking chump change for us GC billionaires. :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, DonS said:

I agree. $150K/yr is focking chump change for us GC billionaires. :rolleyes:

Obviously I meant their horrible shipment and wearhouse jobs. I understand that’s not what they were putting in NY, but overall they’re a company that treats their employees like sh1t.

3 minutes ago, MDC said:

Obviously I meant their horrible shipment and wearhouse jobs. I understand that’s not what they were putting in NY, but overall they’re a company that treats their employees like sh1t.

When they setup a local distribution center people flocked to those jobs, and flipping love those jobs too

23 minutes ago, Ray Lewis's Limo Driver said:

When they setup a local distribution center people flocked to those jobs, and flipping love those jobs too

That’s not what I’ve read. Lot of articles like this one out there:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/technology/2019/jan/01/amazon-fulfillment-center-warehouse-employees-union-new-york-minnesota

Plenty out there about Amazon dodging taxes and running small businesses under too.

2 minutes ago, MDC said:

That’s not what I’ve read. Lot of articles like this one out there:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/technology/2019/jan/01/amazon-fulfillment-center-warehouse-employees-union-new-york-minnesota

Plenty out there about Amazon dodging taxes and running small businesses under too.

I do not doubt that there are some folks out there who do not find it suitable, and perhaps they need to find something different.  But the folks that entered the nearby center have been rather positive about it. Sometimes people do not care for regimented environments and for those perhaps another type of work or company works better.

I do not doubt that Amazon, along with many others, has some skill sets in dodging taxes, nor that there are negative impacts to their existence. 

We can lament the situation, or embrace it and try to leverage it to our benefit as much as possible....

36 minutes ago, MDC said:

I think this is a little overblown...I've spent a fair amount of time in a couple Amazon's warehouses.  What I saw was a company that really wanted every minute they were paying you to be productive.  For many these days, that translates into slavery or something.   You are being paid, work.  Means no chatting, no goofing off, no cell phones, texting etc.  Work.  If you're a picker in the warehouse, you are expected to pick at a certain pace daily--and you will be paid for it.    Lots of talk about the breakroom policies.  For instance, your break starts at 2:15....Not at 2:30 when you reach the breakroom.  I've seen the reason for this at the one I was at.  Multiple break rooms, but Joe lazy ass would want to walk to the one ALL THE WAY on the other side of the facility, effectively trying to extend his break to 45 minutes from 15.  Nope. 

1 minute ago, Ray Lewis's Limo Driver said:

I do not doubt that there are some folks out there who do not find it suitable, and perhaps they need to find something different.  But the folks that entered the nearby center have been rather positive about it. Sometimes people do not care for regimented environments and for those perhaps another type of work or company works better.

I do not doubt that Amazon, along with many others, has some skill sets in dodging taxes, nor that there are negative impacts to their existence. 

We can lament the situation, or embrace it and try to leverage it to our benefit as much as possible....

If I saw a handful of bad reviews on Glassdoor or whatever I would think it’s a handful of disgruntled employees. Amazon has had this kind of reputation in articles for many years now, so I tend to think they’re an uncommonly crappy employer.

I don’t blame Amazon though, they’re just doing what businesses do. I just don’t think it’s okay or we necessarily should embrace this as the future of the working lower class. 

Far as HQ2 my dream would be for cities to basically collude to offer roughly the same exact modest tax break and let Amazon take it or leave it. But I know that won’t happen.

1 minute ago, vuduchile said:

I have mixed feelings on this one. 

But in the end, I say fock Amazon.

Buy local if you can.   

I love Amazon. Are you aware that Amazon is just a middleman? Most of the sh1t on that sites are from small businesses.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

I think this is a little overblown...I've spent a fair amount of time in a couple Amazon's warehouses.  What I saw was a company that really wanted every minute they were paying you to be productive.  For many these days, that translates into slavery or something.    You are being paid, work.  Means no chatting, no goofing off, no cell phones, texting etc.  Work.  If you're a picker in the warehouse, you are expected to pick at a certain pace daily--and you will be paid for it.    Lots of talk about the breakroom policies.  For instance, your break starts at 2:15....Not at 2:30 when you reach the breakroom.  I've seen the reason for this at the one I was at.  Multiple break rooms, but Joe lazy ass would want to walk to the one ALL THE WAY on the other side of the facility, effectively trying to extend his break to 45 minutes from 15.  Nope. 

Easy for a privileged evil white man to say!  YES MASSA, I'MA WORKIN'! 

How dare employers expect their employees to actually work.  #RESIST

1 minute ago, Cdub100 said:

I love Amazon. Are you aware that Amazon is just a middleman? Most of the sh1t on that sites are from small businesses.

I’m well aware of that.  I’m a small biz owner   

Fock em anyway. 

1 hour ago, MDC said:

The world needs ditch diggers too. 

21 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

The world needs ditch diggers too. 

I use this line from Caddyshack all the time with my kids. :thumbsup: