Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

National Emergency

25 minutes ago, Filthy Fernadez said:

But the walls in prison DETER the prisoners.

Why are there walls around Estates? Businesses? Society is full of ladders..........do we take away society's ladders?

The difference in those walls is we have guards/cops that can respond to anyone climbing over them in minutes (as long as we detect them).  We'll never have that level of response on the border so a 5 minute delay of someone climbing over that wall does nothing.

10 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

So when we go fight a war and send the troops, who will watch the border? 

C'mon man, weren't you in the military?  They don't send every single person from every base to war when we go.  This is a silly question.

3 minutes ago, MDC said:

You’re 100% right. Democrats should be pushing an immigration policy that calls for increased border patrol, electronic surveillance and strategic border fencing. They should oppose the 35-foot border wall idea because it’s a stupid idea. Dems who oppose it because it’s supposedly immoral etc. are playing Trump’s game.

The democrats are just as guilty as the president in using this as a political pawn.  It's just outrageous.

2 minutes ago, Kanil said:

C'mon man, weren't you in the military?  They don't send every single person from every base to war when we go.  This is a silly question.

Ok, even if they send half of them, who's picking up the slack? And youve never heard of stop loss? It's not stupid at all. Our military is stretched thin as is. 

Just now, Kanil said:

The democrats are just as guilty as the president in using this as a political pawn.  It's just outrageous.

I can’t really blame them for refusing to fund the wall since it’s been a stunt from the beginning and Trump said Mexico would pay for it. I think some Dems have allowed themselves to be baited into being anti border control in general and it’s a losing strategy. 

7 minutes ago, MDC said:

You’re 100% right. Democrats should be pushing an immigration policy that calls for increased border patrol, electronic surveillance and strategic border fencing. They should oppose the 35-foot border wall idea because it’s a stupid idea. Dems who oppose it because it’s supposedly immoral etc. are playing Trump’s game.

What size wall would be a good deterrent? 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Ok, even if they send half of them, who's picking up the slack? And youve never heard of stop loss? It's not stupid at all. Our military is stretched thin as is. 

Yes, I know what stop loss is.  I got lucky and avoided it when I got out (got out Sep 2nd 2001).  They don't shut down essential functions of the military during a war.  They wouldn't abandon their posts on the border and head out to whatever the next Iraq is.  That's silly.

Just now, Filthy Fernadez said:

If they had one of those walls the size of the one from Game of Thrones with the big focking hooks that swipe people off the wall, that would probably work.

7 minutes ago, Kanil said:

The difference in those walls is we have guards/cops that can respond to anyone climbing over them in minutes (as long as we detect them).  We'll never have that level of response on the border so a 5 minute delay of someone climbing over that wall does nothing.

And yet you and others argue for more manning as a way to secure the border. So build the focking wall, add manning and electronic measures on the wall.

Just now, Filthy Fernadez said:

And yet you and others argue for more manning as a way to secure the border. So build the focking wall, add manning and electronic measures on the wall.

If we can get to that level of manpower, I'll be shocked but happy.  The thing is, a 5 minute delay on a 100 mile journey does nothing.  We should be able to get to the point where we detect and intercept before they can make it to a city to hide.  The problem is I don't think either side really wants to get to that point, they'd both prefer to have a political talking point for the next 20 years.

1 minute ago, Kanil said:

If we can get to that level of manpower, I'll be shocked but happy.  The thing is, a 5 minute delay on a 100 mile journey does nothing.  We should be able to get to the point where we detect and intercept before they can make it to a city to hide.  The problem is I don't think either side really wants to get to that point, they'd both prefer to have a political talking point for the next 20 years.

One thing that's missing from our discussion and I'm regretting not thinking about this earlier. 

#1 reason why the Dems don't want the Wall? Because it keeps a sh!t ton of people off American soil so they can't claim asylum and/or Border Agents have to Catch and Release IN the U.S.

Once on American soil, the rules change which is bullsh!t. 

22 minutes ago, Filthy Fernadez said:

Depends. How tall are the ladders in Mexico?

2 minutes ago, Filthy Fernadez said:

OSHA standards are ladders must be no more than 5 times a persons height. So 25'

Illegals are going to start following OSHA regs now? Lol.

4 minutes ago, Filthy Fernadez said:

WOOOSH

Yep. Read anything about Donnie hiring illegals / foreigners and getting his in laws citizenship yet? 

7 minutes ago, MDC said:

Yep. Read anything about Donnie hiring illegals / foreigners and getting his in laws citizenship yet? 

You haven't proved it yet. Unless you have been posting under an alias, no. 

1 minute ago, Filthy Fernadez said:

Red Castle........... :ninja:

That wall took 24 seconds to build according to the video... who the heck estimated 47 days!?!??  Damn contractors are always trying to screw over the govt.

Just now, Kanil said:

That wall took 24 seconds to build according to the video... who the heck estimated 47 days!?!??  Damn contractors are always trying to screw over the govt.

Not quite the waste of time you were lead to believe? #keepitgoing

I'm sure there are substantial bonuses if done ahead of schedule. 

On 2/16/2019 at 9:41 AM, 5-Points said:

Trump didn't take any power away from Congress. That's just the talking point they've been given. 

Congress abrogated their responsibility to provide for border security (again). This POTUS stepped in to try to fulfill his responsibility to make sure our immigration laws are enforced. Trump said he fully expects this to be challenged in court. So it basically plays out like this...

The legislative branch failed to secure the border so the executive branch took measures to do so and the judicial branch will determine the legality of the measures taken. 

You know, how the system was designed to function. 

That said, it should never have come to this. It's the sad state of national politics that brought us to this point. Oddly enough, that's also exactly why Trump was elected. 

ETA: BTW, this isn't even an additional expenditure. He's reallocating a few billion from the already approved 1.5 trillion dollar DOD budget. 

:banana:

• Like 2