Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

This is what will most likely kill the National emergency

Screw the constitution or the founding fathers or whether we need a wall or Dont, what's going to kill this National emergency is when lawmakers from both sides of the aisle start seeing their favorite pet pork projects get carved out for the wall. And suddenly? Support for Trump and support for anybody who supports cutting these projects locally is going to disappear mighty damn fast.

Decent article attached talking about the very specific projects that could him likely will be cut. strangely enough, the White House has been completely silent on specifics.

Add to all this? Just this past week, Congress horrible testimony from soldiers and their families regarding the absolutely horrific housing conditions that they have to live in. Including children's clothes overrun with termites and rats. 

Yeah, everybody is a huge supporter, until that ship becomes local. Then suddenly it gets real.

The best thing that could happen to Trump right now and his supporters is that the National emergency is shut down on principle in the courts. that way, Trump and Hannity can vilify liberal activist courts.

Because if it ever comes down to cutting projects in home districts? Oh there's going to be one hell of a lot of defections from trumpland.

http://jamiedupree.blog.ajc.com/2019/02/15/which-projects-congress-worries-as-trump-grabs-military-construction-funds-for-border-wall/

President Donald Trump can spend up to $21 billion in unobligated military construction funds to build his border wall if he declares a national emergency, congressional aides told reporters on Thursday.

That money includes construction projects to support wartime operations overseas, the aides said during a conference call during a conference call.

The Defense Department would decide which construction projects would see their funding go toward the border wall, the aides said. Congress would then need to pass new appropriations bills to fund those projects.

Link

I'm not even in favor of the decision to declare a national emergency but can we please stop acting like it's the end of the focking world? 

• Like 1

I don't even think it's so much about the so-called National emergency as it is the number one question that's been bouncing around DC4 a couple years now is when are smart experienced guys like McConnell finally going to say okay enough of this clown show?

When their constituents start pushing back, that may very well spell the end of the clown show.

What's interesting is Trump is playing to a base of say 30% that he's never going to lose. So stop playing to them. But the liberals are doing the same thing, going further and further left when they should be trying to get somewhere near to center.

11 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Trump spending 0.05 of the budget will destroy all that pork. :lol:

it's funny how guys like you will just swallow whatever numbers thrown at you Hook line & sinker without question. Now, go look at the budget yourself. There are such things as discretionary spending and committed spending. Not that it matters a whole hill of beans, and it is a relatively small number, until you are in armpit Ohio and the thing that supposed to bring in 300 new construction jobs goes away to build a wall it's 4000 miles away from you.

There's a reason why they say all politics is local.

45 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Screw the constitution or the founding fathers or whether we need a wall or Dont, what's going to kill this National emergency is when lawmakers from both sides of the aisle start seeing their favorite pet pork projects get carved out for the wall. And suddenly? Support for Trump and support for anybody who supports cutting these projects locally is going to disappear mighty damn fast.

Decent article attached talking about the very specific projects that could him likely will be cut. strangely enough, the White House has been completely silent on specifics.

Add to all this? Just this past week, Congress horrible testimony from soldiers and their families regarding the absolutely horrific housing conditions that they have to live in. Including children's clothes overrun with termites and rats. 

Yeah, everybody is a huge supporter, until that ship becomes local. Then suddenly it gets real.

The best thing that could happen to Trump right now and his supporters is that the National emergency is shut down on principle in the courts. that way, Trump and Hannity can vilify liberal activist courts.

Because if it ever comes down to cutting projects in home districts? Oh there's going to be one hell of a lot of defections from trumpland.

http://jamiedupree.blog.ajc.com/2019/02/15/which-projects-congress-worries-as-trump-grabs-military-construction-funds-for-border-wall/

It’s ok to take a weekend off. 

3 minutes ago, 12th Man said:

It’s ok to take a weekend off. 

Seriously Wiffleball.  Go get a burrito or something. On second thought......

30 minutes ago, SenatorRock said:

So NOW the left is going to feign concern for the military?

🤣

Well, it beats the out of deriding prisoners of war and openly mocking and feuding with recently widowed War veterans wives.

Trump is free to cut pork from California and New York because they won't vote for him anyway.  Therefore it won't hurt him at all.  I know the department of veterans affairs is sitting on a massive amount VERY expensive land in West Los Angeles worth around I'd guess $7-8 billion.  They wanted to sell it.  A bunch of Hollywood moguls and actors banded together a few years ago and prevented the sale because they feared whatever was built there would impede the view from their mansions. 

That thing alone would pay for 2 walls.  The VA doesn't even really want it.

51 minutes ago, riversco said:

Trump is free to cut pork from California and New York because they won't vote for him anyway.  Therefore it won't hurt him at all.  I know the department of veterans affairs is sitting on a massive amount VERY expensive land in West Los Angeles worth around I'd guess $7-8 billion.  They wanted to sell it.  A bunch of Hollywood moguls and actors banded together a few years ago and prevented the sale because they feared whatever was built there would impede the view from their mansions. 

That thing alone would pay for 2 walls.  The VA doesn't even really want it.

Thatd be a great idea. Which reminds me. Given his New York background, I seriously am surprised this point that he hasn't at least floated the idea of kicking the UN out of the US. Can you imagine how much that property is worth? I thought about that for a long time. 

15 hours ago, wiffleball said:

Thatd be a great idea. Which reminds me. Given his New York background, I seriously am surprised this point that he hasn't at least floated the idea of kicking the UN out of the US. Can you imagine how much that property is worth? I thought about that for a long time. 

Would make for some awesome "unwilling to work" housing.