Sign in to follow this  
bandrus1

OBJ

Pats "aggressively" looked into OBJ

and now there are rumors and predictions he will be moved this off season

29 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

Pats "aggressively" looked into OBJ

and now there are rumors and predictions he will be moved this off season

My sense is the Gmen are not actively shopping OBJ. They would consider moving him if the right offer came a long: a bushel of picks or a top 5 draft choice. I don't see the Pats either having the assets or parting with them to make this happen. The Niners and Raiders have the picks the Giants would want. I still say less than 20% chance it happens at all...

I think they are shopping him. 

And it wouldn’t be a surprise that they move him this offseason. 

26 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I think they are shopping him. 

And it wouldn’t be a surprise that they move him this offseason. 

As I said if a team meets the high price tag then I think it could get done, but it would have to be before the draft. I don't anticipate anyone ponying up for him. Would the 49ers for example give up the 2nd overall pick? Maybe, but highly unlikely. We will find out soon, draft isn't that far off. Thanks for the response...

Lol I wasn’t responding, I was posting a statement. Sorry about that. 

I think it’s a wise move for the Gmen. 

Sounds like the Niners are diffently interested in Beckham. 

This should be fun. 

19 hours ago, jrokh said:

I don't see the Pats either having the assets or parting with them to make this happen. The Niners and Raiders have the picks the Giants would want. I still say less than 20% chance it happens at all...

IIRC the Pats have something like 5 or 6 picks in the first 100 or so - in a draft widely considered thick in the middle (very few stars, lotsa steady contributors).  So while Oak & SF have the splash picks NE certainly has ammo enough to make moves.

BB has a proven record of not being able to draft WRs, as well as a proven record for success with malcontent WRs from other teams (Randy Moss).

If I'm Dave Gettleman, knowing I've got a lot of needs to address and knowing the team is a couple three years away from contention, knowing I don't want to pay my diva WR a sh!t ton of money to b!tch about losing for the next two years...

I send him packing.

ProFootballTalk

As the season ended, a sense emerged that the 49ers could renew the pursuit of Giants receiver Odell Beckham Jr. A month and a half later, that sense persists.

The 49ers have had real interest in Beckham for nearly a year; the only question is whether the Giants are willing to pull the trigger. As reflected by last week’s bold offseason prediction from Jay Glazer, the Giants may indeed be ready to do so.

A lot of smoke around Beckham getting moved. We'll see if the fire materializes. 

2 hours ago, ralphster said:

IIRC the Pats have something like 5 or 6 picks in the first 100 or so - in a draft widely considered thick in the middle (very few stars, lotsa steady contributors).  So while Oak & SF have the splash picks NE certainly has ammo enough to make moves.

BB has a proven record of not being able to draft WRs, as well as a proven record for success with malcontent WRs from other teams (Randy Moss).

If I'm Dave Gettleman, knowing I've got a lot of needs to address and knowing the team is a couple three years away from contention, knowing I don't want to pay my diva WR a sh!t ton of money to b!tch about losing for the next two years...

I send him packing.

Would the Pats be willing to part with say four of those picks? That doesn't seem like the Patriots way. Maybe Bill says screw it I have one last run left with Brady anyway, I may as well go for it. Even so they still can't compete with what the Raiders can offer. Gettelman would move OBJ for the right offer, but he didn't sign him last year with intent to trade him the next. Teams will have to overpay if they want him.

• Like 1

The NFL has become a league where teams can get better or worse in a hurry.  Look at the Bears, 5-11 in 2017 and 12-4 in 2018 for example.  The Giants have a potential hall of fame WR and RB as well as quality pass catchers in Engram and Shepard.  If they can get even a decent QB, they could have one of the most explosive offenses in football for the next several years and as the Chiefs proved, if your offense is good enough, you can go far even with a mediocre defense.   There's no way I trade OBJ.  They could be a Super Bowl contender in no time.

I would trade him, and I would do it quickly. 

All that was posted above I agree with, but Beckham doesn’t want to be their, and I wouldn’t want to deal with this deva wr. 

They would be doing the better move by trading him now while his value his high. 

1 hour ago, Larry David said:

The NFL has become a league where teams can get better or worse in a hurry.  Look at the Bears, 5-11 in 2017 and 12-4 in 2018 for example.  The Giants have a potential hall of fame WR and RB as well as quality pass catchers in Engram and Shepard.  If they can get even a decent QB, they could have one of the most explosive offenses in football for the next several years and as the Chiefs proved, if your offense is good enough, you can go far even with a mediocre defense.   There's no way I trade OBJ.  They could be a Super Bowl contender in no time.

Good luck. 

1 hour ago, Larry David said:

So in other words you are saying QB is all that matters.  Because last year they had a top RB and a top WR yet werent good at all.  

My opinion is that WR and especially RB hardly matter.

They should trade Odell now.  He wont take Barkley out shining him.  He is a headcase that doesnt care about winning.

Bears didnt go from basement to winning the division by having a 100 mill diva WR or drafting a RB number 2.  They did it with adding pieces, a coach, Mack and a defense.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

So in other words you are saying QB is all that matters.  Because last year they had a top RB and a top WR yet werent good at all.  

They should trade Odell now.  He wont take Barkley out shining him.  He is a headcase that doesnt care about winning.

Bears didnt go from basement to winning the division by having a 100 mill diva WR or drafting a RB number 2.  They did it with adding pieces, a coach, Mack and a defense.  

Oline... coach... stable players. ...Mack... 

I remember folks here saying Mack was a bad trade for the Bears. That was not correct. That guy is worth 4 1st round draft picks.

1 hour ago, sderk said:

I remember folks here saying Mack was a bad trade for the Bears. That was not correct. That guy is worth 4 1st round draft picks.

Bingo

One more reason an OBJ trade is unlikely for the time being is this nugget: 

The Giants will take on $16 million in dead money and save only $5 million against the cap if Beckham is traded before June 1, according to overthecap.com. Once the calendar turns to the second half of the year, Beckham can be traded at the cost of $4 million in dead money and $17 million in cap savings.

If this is the case then, the Giants would have to be blown away to trade him before June 1, and it is significantly harder to do a trade like this after the draft and the players are already picked. I hope a team goes all in and gives up the loot for him but it is not bloody likely.

On 2/20/2019 at 4:15 PM, listen2me 23 said:

passer rating differential is the stat that is the most closely correlated with winning.

there are different ways to get there.  having a great QB is one way.  having a transcendent pass rush or coverage unit is another.  a strong run game influences the stat, as does receiver quality.  but you can't have gold-plated everything, so a team has to make strategic choices as to how to pursue a positive passer rating differential.

IMO, the giants have the least important pieces.  if they could swap OBJ for a top pass rusher like mack, they would instantly get closer to playoff caliber.  but i don't think they're going to be capable of doing it with eli.  he was good enough to ride brilliant defensive play to 2 rings when he was in his prime, but he's too decrepit now to stay in the saddle.

On 2/20/2019 at 5:33 PM, sderk said:

Not really. The guy disappears quite often. 

2 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Not really. The guy disappears quite often. 

When he doesn't get the stats, the rest of the d-line does because he draws the double teaming. That whole line got better when he was brought in.

there are a number of reasons why things didnt work well for New York last year.  

They improved their run game, and Eli quietly put up a solid season.   4300 yards passing, 21 TD and 11 INT.    The line was improved and the team scored 369 points (as compared to 246 the year before)   in terms of scoring they are solidly in the middle of the pack.   It does look like the defense took a step backwards.   this may be due to the release of JPP and the regression of (and eventually the trade of) Eli Apple.

I think there are other reasons as well, and I"m sure if I got into it further, I could probably do some digging to find it.  (speak up homers if you know more)

That being said, I truly think the area of focus needs to be in 2 areas.

1) defense.  I do think this is the largest area of need for this team.  There are a lot of areas that can use help on D.

2) O line.-the signing of Solder and the drafting of Hernandez took the line from being worst in the league to at least passable.  I think they do need to draft another O lineman.   Solder is on the wrong side of 30, so this wont fix them long term.   they still need to draft and develop another player.   We know a new QB is coming in to replace  Eli in the next 2-3 years.   we just dont know exactly when.   but putting a rookie QB behind a leaky line is never a good thing for the development of that QB.   Drafting someone who can plug and play on the O line is ideal.    Maybe draft a Tackle in round 1 or 2, plug him in at RT until Solder is ready to move on into retirement and then shift him over to the left side.

if a new OL helps the offense stay on the field that will certainly help the Defense by default.  especially if that addition allows them to run the ball more effectively.  This will increase the effectiveness of Sequon. 

I truly think drafting a QB in round 1 would be a mistake for this team.   there are too many other areas that need to be addressed, and Next year is supposed to be far deeper at QB than this year, so why not draft another player for the line, and develop him for a year before drafting that QB to replace Eli.

also,  drafting another player for the Defense will also reduce the amt of pressure on a rookie QB.   

Just sayin....

This is the right time for the Gmen to draft a Qb. 

On 2/28/2019 at 2:06 PM, Ray_T said:

there are a number of reasons why things didnt work well for New York last year.  

They improved their run game, and Eli quietly put up a solid season.   4300 yards passing, 21 TD and 11 INT.    The line was improved and the team scored 369 points (as compared to 246 the year before)   in terms of scoring they are solidly in the middle of the pack.   It does look like the defense took a step backwards.   this may be due to the release of JPP and the regression of (and eventually the trade of) Eli Apple.

I think there are other reasons as well, and I"m sure if I got into it further, I could probably do some digging to find it.  (speak up homers if you know more)

That being said, I truly think the area of focus needs to be in 2 areas.

1) defense.  I do think this is the largest area of need for this team.  There are a lot of areas that can use help on D.

2) O line.-the signing of Solder and the drafting of Rodriguez and signing of Hernandez took the line from being worst in the league to at least passable.  I think they do need to draft another O lineman.   Solder is on the wrong side of 30, so this wont fix them long term.   they still need to draft and develop another player.   We know a new QB is coming in to replace  Eli in the next 2-3 years.   we just dont know exactly when.   but putting a rookie QB behind a leaky line is never a good thing for the development of that QB.   Drafting someone who can plug and play on the O line is ideal.    Maybe draft a Tackle in round 1 or 2, plug him in at RT until Solder is ready to move on into retirement and then shift him over to the left side.

if a new OL helps the offense stay on the field that will certainly help the Defense by default.  especially if that addition allows them to run the ball more effectively.  This will increase the effectiveness of Sequon. 

I truly think drafting a QB in round 1 would be a mistake for this team.   there are too many other areas that need to be addressed, and Next year is supposed to be far deeper at QB than this year, so why not draft another player for the line, and develop him for a year before drafting that QB to replace Eli.

also,  drafting another player for the Defense will also reduce the amt of pressure on a rookie QB.   

Just sayin....

They traded JPP. They drafted Hernandez. Who's Rodriguez? 

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Alex? Michelle? Anyway I don't anticipate the Giants trade up for a QB, but if Haskins is there (I fully expect Murray will be long gone by pick 6), I think they grab Haskins and would be fine with that. If he's gone I rank them this way: Q. Williams-DT (unlikely to be there), C. Ferrell- Edge, D. White- LB. 

3 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

sorry fixed.  there was a typing error there.    Just Hernandez and Solder for the line.

But solder is on the wrong side of 30.  so they need another player drafted in the first 2-3 rounds for the line.   That's my point.

and they say next year will have a better crop of QB's so why draft one this year?   get the line in place so that your QB can step right in when you do finally draft him.