Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**2019 Masters Thread**

The opening tee shot for the Masters is now just 17 days away, so Masters 2019 will soon be upon us...for a few of us, it is just about our favorite sports weekend of the year. For most, probably not, but still a weekend of interest. Here are my initial top ten favorites for this year as has been done for several years now. List is certain to change as players round into form and/or fall out of it prior to April. Should be a great tournament!

Top Ten:

1. Justin Rose- Love what Rose has done with his schedule this Winter. He has taken off since winning at Torrey Pines and will begin anew at the API. Should be fresh and peaking by Augusta and I think he knows his window for winning majors won't be open forever. 

2. Jon Rahm- Everything to me suggests that Rahm will be a Masters champion before the age of 30. Could it be this year? Certainly, and I have him as my runner-up choice based on fit for the course and skill set. Would not surprise if he cleared the major hurdle early in his career (this year). 

3. Rory McIlroy- Rory has been a top-five machine this season and him winning at Augusta this year would be a surprise to no one. Still, I remember how he folded in the final round the past couple of years and just can't rank him higher despite recent excellent play. 

4. Justin Thomas- I know Thomas hasn't really contended at Augusta yet, but if you watch him play week in and week out, there's almost no way to leave him off a list of contenders at every course he plays. Such a complete player. One has to wonder now if he'll end up with the better career vs. Spieth. 

5. Patrick Cantlay- Sort of a darkhorse top ten pick, but Cantlay is so much better than most people realize. Not sure he's ready to win a major yet, but finishing high would give him confidence heading into the rest of this season's majors. 

6. Gary Woodland- Woodland was in contention at the PGA and something tells me he's going to win one major title in his career. Seems logical assuming his putting holds up. 

7. Dustin Johnson- After destroying the field in Mexico, this may be WAY too low for Johnson. If he plays well at Sawgrass, I will almost certainly move him up. I know conventional wisdom suggests Johnson should be the Masters favorite, but I just can't see it...yet. 

8. Paul Casey- The first of two Englishmen to round out the top ten, Casey has everything he needs to be a major factor in majors this season. The question is: Does he have the mental toughness? I do question that with him some and that's why he's here in spite of terrific recent form. 

9. Louis Oosthuzien- Impressive at Valspar, Louis seems to be finding form at just the right time to be a factor at Augusta. 

10. Tiger Woods- Iron play should get him a back-door top ten if not better. Still concerned about putting and driving on long par-4s that require an aggressive approach. 

Players outside of my top ten who still have a very legitimate shot at winning: Bryson DeChambeau, Rickie Fowler, Brooks Koepka, Marc Leishman, Hideki Matsuyama, Patrick Reed, Xander Schauffele, Adam Scott, Matt Kuchar, Bubba Watson, Phil Mickelson.

Highly ranked players who are off to slow start in 2019, but could catch lightning in a bottle for a week: Tony Finau, Tommy Fleetwood, Alex Noren, Henrik Stenson, Ian Poulter, Webb Simpson, Jason Day, Kevin Kisner, Jordan Spieth.

Young, exciting players with little Masters experience, but tons of game: Si Woo Kim, Emiliano Grillo, Haotong Li, Thorbjorn Olesen, Tyrrell Hatton, Cameron Smith, Matt Wallace, Aaron Wise, Keith Mitchell 

Solid, tested players...wouldn't be a shocker if they won: Keegan Bradley, Rafael Cabrera-Bello, Sergio Garcia, J.B. Holmes, Billy Horschel, Charles Howell III, Matt Kuchar, Francesco Molinari, Brandt Snedeker, Charley Hoffman, Danny Willett, Branden Grace, Matthew Fitzpatrick, Kiradech Aphibarnrat.

Guys who have a punchers chance, but would make for a somewhat shocking winner: Lucas Bjerregaard, Angel Cabrera, Stewart Cink, Shugo Imahira, Zach Johnson, Patton Kizzire, Bernhard Langer, Andrew Landry, Michael Kim,  Kevin Na, Jimmy Walker, Eddie Pepperell, Charl Schwartzel, Kevin Tway, Kyle Stanley.

Guys who have no real shot at winning from my perspective: Fred Couples, Trevor Immelman, Martin Kaymer, Adam Long, Sandy Lyle, Larry Mize, Mark O'Meara, Jose Maria Olazabal, Vijay Singh, Mike Weir, Ian Woosnam, Satoshi Kodaira, All amateurs.

Not playing due to injury: No one (yet)

•  

The way DJ is hitting it and putting, I'll take him and my chances against the field.

Plus he's still carrying a chip on his shoulder from the 2017 Masters... Having won 3 in  a row, ranked #1 and rolling heading into that week - he slips and falls, has to WD.

If WGCs were majors, DJ would be racking them up. He is built for those events. 

In all honesty, if anyone was ever built to win Green Jackets - it's Rory.

Long, high, towering draw ball flight - I mean this kid should have at least 4 by the time he's done.... Yet, he's never really recovered from the disastrous 43 back nine and choke job he pulled off in 2011.

6 minutes ago, dain11279 said:

TW is gonna win, and it's gonna be glorious.

All he's got going for him right now is iron play. His driving and putting holds him back. He's chipped well, too, I guess since his latest return. 

5 minutes ago, dain11279 said:

TW is gonna win, and it's gonna be glorious.

I sure wouldn't put it past him.... and wow, can you imagine ?That would be some damn good tv - flat out epic.

I know I'm going to get bashed as the Phil Homer but has won and event this year, should have won another. Is playing really good golf all around and has added significant length to his drives. Past 3 time champion and left handed. Perfectly suited for Augusta. 

He'd easily be in my top 10

...to not even have him in  the second grouping is shameful

Will whats his name get whats his name at 12/13?

1 hour ago, WhiteWonder said:

I know I'm going to get bashed as the Phil Homer but has won and event this year, should have won another. Is playing really good golf all around and has added significant length to his drives. Past 3 time champion and left handed. Perfectly suited for Augusta. 

Big Phil fan here too. Fock the haters. 

2 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

Phil could still easily win this for sure.. Especially now that he's picked up about 5 mph of clubhead speed - he's popping it out there again.

5 hours ago, Cruzer said:

Phil could still easily win this for sure.. Especially now that he's picked up about 5 mph of clubhead speed - he's popping it out there again.

yup. With his new length and short game / putting.... plus the experience, I have to think he is one of the favorites there this year. If he still had that monkey of no wins since the Open Championship, then sure.... but he won last season and won this season. 

I am okay with people having 10 other golfers they view as having a better chance. Afterall, there is so much talent out there.... but Phil needs to be in that next grouping of "Players outside of my top ten who still have a very legitimate shot at winning".  Tiger is there. Guys with no major wins are there (rickie, xander)

No predictions per se, but man, Masters Sunday followed by first episode of the final season of Game of Thrones that night. Not a bad day to not leave the couch.

21 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

It was an oversight on my part. Yes, he should be in the second group. 

13 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

Fumble?!?!  What about the Players?

For me, there's not a harder tournament in the world to predict than the Player's .For that reason, I don't bother trying to predict it and just enjoy it for what it is. 

I wouldn't care if Spieth had missed 10 cuts in a row..... No way I leave him out of my top 10 at Augusta - not till he's in his 30's maybe.

I'd certainly have him in over a Poulter, Woodland. or Cantlay - as well as they've played of late.

I'd also have (you know who) in my top 10... In fact, if DJ is gone by the time I pick, and this cat is still on the board - I'm prolly taking him.

1 hour ago, Cruzer said:

I wouldn't care if Spieth had missed 10 cuts in a row..... No way I leave him out of my top 10 at Augusta - not till he's in his 30's maybe.

I'd certainly have him in over a Poulter, Woodland. or Cantlay - as well as they've played of late.

I'd also have (you know who) in my top 10... In fact, if DJ is gone by the time I pick, and this cat is still on the board - I'm prolly taking him.

Spieth looks lost. I would still keep him in my top 20 based on his incredible track record at Augusta, but he isn't just playing o.k. right now...he's playing poorly. 

19 minutes ago, Fumbleweed said:

Spieth looks lost. I would still keep him in my top 20 based on his incredible track record at Augusta, but he isn't just playing o.k. right now...he's playing poorly. 

I'd love to be drafting 9th or 10th this year.. To catch him as a 2nd pick on the comeback would be nice.

Masters is really spicing things up this year Letting the girls play a couple weeks and when the men play, only black caddies

Not to get into a debate on private club rights... But from a pure golf standpoint, I'm actually excited to see the amateur girls play. 

10 hours ago, Cruzer said:

Not to get into a debate on private club rights... But from a pure golf standpoint, I'm actually excited to see the amateur girls play. 

with each other?

Not going to adjust anything this week, but Justin Thomas looks to be injured and out of gas after playing A LOT this year so far. Needs some weeks off. 

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 7:20 AM, edjr said:

with each other?

Alexa Pano - remember that name. If we're alive in 5 years - she will be the next huge thing in women's golf.

No changes to the top ten this week, but some fine tuning is likely after Sawgrass. Rose was predictably rusty at Bay Hill, so I’ll give him a pass for now. If Day withdraws from the Players, he will leave the top ten for sure. 

Update: 3/25. Pulled Jason Day out of my top ten and replaced him with Louis Oosthuzien. No major changes beyond that other than moving McIlroy up to #4 behind Rose, Rahm, and Thomas. Thomas will need to play well at the Match Play to hold on to that ranking as Rory is really charging. 

It would really be something if you used this nawledge and won the EdEx Masters event

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:20 AM, edjr said:

with each other?

I axed Paige Spiranac on Twitter if she was playing, no response. Focking coont

53 minutes ago, dain11279 said:

I axed Paige Spiranac on Twitter if she was playing, no response. Focking coont

:D

Staring at her on IG makes me happy.

Made final edit (barring player injury) prior to next week's Masters. Bumped McIlroy ahead of Justin Thomas who simply isn't playing that well over the past two months. Still, Thomas has what it takes to win at Augusta and I'll keep him in my top five. Also, Tiger Woods enters the top ten based on strong iron play and good lag-putting. On long par-4s, however, I think his driver may get him in trouble...so while he's in my top ten as of today, I don't see him as a prime contender. 

10 days and counting... 

I wouldn't care if it were the Milky Way Open, on the banks of Neptune - no way I don't have Francesco Molinari in my top 10.

Wherever he shows up (right now) he's a top 10'er.

You're right. Hard to leave him out, but his track record at Augusta isn't great and based on that, I would place him in the 11-15 range instead. I'm sure he'll go first round, though, in our Masters draft. 

My quick list would take Cantlay off (but he is underrated and will probably show well just dont see him winning it)

Take Woodland off.  Good player but trendy this year.  I dont see it sort of like Cantlay

Insert Molinari and I hate to say it but Adam Scott.  

JT down. DJ up.  

Tiger at 10 or just outside is a nice spot. I see him sucking and then having a heroic round to make his week look better than it was.  Too little too late with him now a days.  His putting scares me.

Scott will certainly be rested. The question is: Will he be too rested? Along with Tiger, Scott probably plays the least tournaments throughout the year of any top player in the world. 

Speaking of rest, Tiger complained of being too fatigued at the end of last year after playing around 20 times. Sungjae Im has now played 72 times in the past two years. 

That's like Patrick Reed on steroids. (Reed generally plays 30+ a year)

38 minutes ago, Fumbleweed said:

Speaking of rest, Tiger complained of being too fatigued at the end of last year after playing around 20 times. Sungjae Im has now played 72 times in the past two years. 

Sung-jae just turned 21 three days ago........ The list of things I could do 3x more when I was 20 wraps around the building.

2 hours ago, Cruzer said:

Sung-jae just turned 21 three days ago........ The list of things I could do 3x more when I was 20 wraps around the building.

Truth.