Sign in to follow this  
edjr

ESPN's 'Sunday Night Baseball' will start an hour earlier in 2019

The Cubs’ Father’s Day game at Dodger Stadium is among the first batch of ESPN “Sunday Night Baseball” matchups announced Monday.

So is their previously scheduled Aug. 18 MLB Little League Classic meeting with the Pirates in Williamsport, Pa., site of the Little League World Series.

The release of a handful of “Sunday Night Baseball” pairings accompanied an announcement from ESPN that most “Sunday Night Baseball” telecasts this season will begin at 6 p.m., an hour earlier than before.

That’s 4 p.m. on the West Coast, making it more of a late afternoon than night there.

Some things do not change, however.

Once more there’s no shortage of Dodgers, Red Sox and Yankees — especially Red Sox versus Yankees.

Of the 11 “Sunday Night Baseball” games ESPN unveiled, four were Red Sox versus Yankees and another four featured the Dodgers, including Dodgers at Red Sox on July 14 and Yankees at Dodgers on Aug. 25.

The Sept. 8 Yankees at Red Sox telecast will start at the old time of 7 p.m. CT. Dodgers at Rockies on April 7 is set for 7:30 p.m. CT.

The Braves figure in the remaining two games announced, visiting the Phillies in the “Sunday Night Baseball” season opener March 31 and the Cardinals on May 26.

ESPN started the “Sunday Night Baseball” telecast in 1990, and it developed in a showcase time slot. It nearly always is the only game scheduled for that time.

But players who had to travel after games complained they reached the next city at dawn, disrupting their sleep schedules ahead of the next series against an opponent that usually had more rest.

Major League Baseball has been more cognizant of player health issues in recent years. As part of the collective bargaining agreement that started in 2017, baseball scheduled earlier start times for many weekday games on getaway days beginning last season.

Would be nice if they would start playoff/world series games earlier. I'm to the point where I just don't have the time or desire to watch regular season games

Of the 11 “Sunday Night Baseball” games ESPN unveiled, four were Red Sox versus Yankees and another four featured the Dodgers, including Dodgers at Red Sox on July 14 and Yankees at Dodgers on Aug. 25.

Yawn...

How about some different teams once in a while??  I guess when you have ARod and Jessica Mendoza in the booth, you need all the "help" you can get...

I know lots of women who started watching SNB because they have a woman in the booth. 

I would love to see Monday night football moved to 6pm eastern. And Sunday night football moved to Saturday night. I love baseball, but I don't stay up for it. They play enough games to miss some.

4 hours ago, sderk said:

I would love to see Monday night football moved to 6pm eastern. And Sunday night football moved to Saturday night. I love baseball, but I don't stay up for it. They play enough games to miss some.

How about 2 Monday night games?  One at 7PM ET and the other at 10:30PM ET?  

As a point of reference, I no longer attend regular season night games (Thursday, Sunday, Monday) at Gillette. That is usually at least 2-3 games per year now.  I am old and don't give a fock to actually be there for those games.  

10 hours ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

How about 2 Monday night games?  One at 7PM ET and the other at 10:30PM ET?  

As a point of reference, I no longer attend regular season night games (Thursday, Sunday, Monday) at Gillette. That is usually at least 2-3 games per year now.  I am old and don't give a fock to actually be there for those games.  

I am old and don't give a fock enough to even stay up and watch a whole game.  Sleep at 9:30 last night, up at 5:30

3 minutes ago, edjr said:

I am old and don't give a fock enough to even stay up and watch a whole game.  Sleep at 9:30 last night, up at 5:30

:thumbsup:

Agreed and, as far as attending games, the football experience is far better on my couch.

1 minute ago, Reality said:

:thumbsup:

Agreed and, as far as attending games, the football experience is far better on my couch.

I've said this before, but hockey to me is the only sport better in person. I used to go to 6 to 10 Bruins games a year. With the cost of sports and concerts, I don't really go to anything anymore. Not even close to worth it.