Sign in to follow this  
bandrus1

Geek cooking challenge

Each night, one camper is voted out and eaten by the others.  :dunno:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

We have done grilled cheese also quasadilla for lunch before it is when half the group is gone and we can stagger them... It simply isn't that doable for more than 10 people

👍

I have always kept things simple when camping.  Do you have the surface area to make the other dishes you mentioned (stir fry, pasta, etc)?

3 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

👍

I have always kept things simple when camping.  Do you have the surface area to make the other dishes you mentioned (stir fry, pasta, etc)?

Yeah.. large pots and wok's work well

Individual items is a no go... Need like good one pot style meals. Canned chicken works really well

Do your camp grounds have grills?  If so, you can use your pots for soups, stews, and sauces.  use grill for non-stew proteins.

1 minute ago, Bier Meister said:

Do your camp grounds have grills?  If so, you can use your pots for soups, stews, and sauces.  use grill for non-stew proteins.

I was gonna ask this......then I thought: if they are camping, they should be able to make their own campfire grill.

All you need is a grate of some kind, rocks, shovel and a lighter.

19 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

I was gonna ask this......then I thought: if they are camping, they should be able to make their own campfire grill.

All you need is a grate of some kind, rocks, shovel and a lighter.

With a CIS or Cast Iron Dutch oven you don't need a grill, just a fire with coals

some of the places we will be dont allow fires due wildfire warnings... other sites do not have fire pits or grills.. not really an option

Just some thoughts on family style dishes

Paella

Gumbo

Baked Beans

Suffed Bell Peppers

Kabobs

Chicken ala King

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

We car camp but visit 5 national parks over 3 weeks so we move and stay in the normal designated campgrounds 

Bad arse. That is a summer they will remember forever, and possibly impact the trajectory of their lives going forward.

You are a good human.

I'd go with some of the dishes our resident Latino recommended. Chirizo and egg burritos sound like an awesome trail meal.

1 hour ago, Meglamaniac said:

Just some thoughts on family style dishes

Gumbo

Winner winner cajun dinner

42 minutes ago, SenatorRock said:

I'd go with some of the dishes our resident Latino recommended. Chirizo and egg burritos sound like an awesome trail meal.

Until you get the shitts.  :cry:

1 hour ago, SenatorRock said:

Winner winner cajun dinner

I have done gumbo before.. half love it half say blahh.. unfortunately not generic enough

13 hours ago, Cruzer said:

Hey, my people know how to feed many on the cheap. :D

well crap, I would hope so with those giant bags of oranges I see all you guys with at every intersection.

Cabrito. It's baby goat. And it's delicious. A lot of people prepare it such that you don't need an open flame. You shove hot rocks inside the goat and cook it from the inside out .

However, if you're going to attempt that methodology, I strongly recommend that you tether the goat.

by and large, the minute you shove a hot rock up a goat's ass it runs like a futher mucker. They're almost impossible to catch. And even then damn sure they're not going to turn their back on you again.

Seriously, the one thing that got left out here unless I'm missing it? A good old-fashioned lobster or clam or whatever bake. All you need is a couple really big pots and baby potatoes, ears of corn, shellfish and whatever kind sausage, onions mushrooms if you feel like it they're actually really easy really low maintenance and one hell of a lot of fun. Whatever you can get on sale like crabs or whatever. And then you just take a newspaper and spread it on a table, pour everything out - and let em go to town. It may sound intimidating or expensive, but it's really not if you do a little bit of research.

Adding: also look up Frogmore stew. 

18 hours ago, Meglamaniac said:

With a CIS or Cast Iron Dutch oven you don't need a grill, just a fire with coals

For sure.......... And along those lines, if they have CISs - no reason couldn't do fried catfish.

Catfish filets are cheap - and you could easily whip up a side or two.