Sign in to follow this  
Phil Simms 11

Odell Beckham Jr. traded to Cleveland

Crazy... I guess all that smoke was a. Burning bush. For the Browns it's a slam dunk. Peppers is good but hardly irreplaceable. They went from 0-16 to legit contenders in 2 years. For the Giants it is time to rebuild and long overdue. They now have the draft capital to make some noise.

Updated fantasy goodness in Cleveland: QB Baker Mayfield, RB Nick Chubb, Kareem Hunt, WR Odell Beckham Jr., Jarvis Landry, Antonio Callaway, Breshad Perriman 😛, TE David Njoku.

This is going to jack up Baker's fantasy stock quite a bit.

3 minutes ago, jrokh said:

For the Giants it is time to rebuild and long overdue. They now have the draft capital to make some noise.

The Giants will now have the 6th and 17th picks in the first round.

Let the baker mayfield will finish as a top 3 ff qb begin, look at those weapons. But per player is this a to many mouths to feed kinda scenario where they’ll all eat into each other’s production. 

It's a good day to be a Giants fan. C ya Odell. Won't miss you. 

How does this affect Barkley in NY? He'll have to face 8 man fronts each and every game all game long.

12 minutes ago, Raider 84 said:

How does this affect Barkley in NY? He'll have to face 8 man fronts each and every game all game long.

Beckham missed the last 4 games of the year. Except for the Tennessee game that no one showed up for, he was fine. 

1 hour ago, Mike FF Today said:

Updated fantasy goodness in Cleveland: QB Baker Mayfield, RB Nick Chubb, Kareem Hunt, WR Odell Beckham Jr., Jarvis Landry, Antonio Callaway, Breshad Perriman 😛, TE David Njoku.

So Breshad Perriman will be Super Bowl MVP next year, am I right?  Seriously though, Cleveland is loaded!

Steelers and Ravens have taken a beating in trades and free agency. Bengals always suck. Browns are now the favorite.

Mayfield extending plays with those weapons, good luck to the defensive backs covering Beckham and company for that long.

Wow that’s amazing. 

Never saw that happening. 

Landry and Beckham what a combo.  

Mayfield stock is going to fly. 

The odds on the browns will be taking off 

Don't forget they beefed up the defense also.

Damn, that's a good on paper team. Guess now we just see if it translates on the field.

I think Jarvis Landry will do more to keep Beckham in line than any other teammate, coach, management member in NY ever could. Baker Mayfield will also not take any of his crap. Great move by the Browns. There goes any shot at stealing Baker as my fantasy QB next season...

As a OBJ dynasty owner, I am pretty happy.  It's a lot of targets to compete with, but this is almost ideal versus enduring another year of Eli and then hoping that they draft a decent QB to get him the ball.  Baker had a year to get his feet wet, and now has some high end talent.  Maybe trading for Baker is the dynasty answer.

His target share may go down, but I expect his quality targets to go up. Less defensive attention, and he has a QB that extends plays. Essentially, I see him getting less defensive coverage, and more time to get open on an offense that should score more and be on the field longer than the Giants. As of now, I'm buying Beckham and he's on my draft radar. 

It’s a match made in heaven for what is now among the premier offenses in the league in Cleveland. Young talent all over and there should be a new vibe in town. Plus they got Kareem so if he ever plays again that’s just icing. Giants get their rebuilding pieces as well.

I would also factor in that he is pissed off.  I can promise you he feels slighted for being traded for draft picks and being cast off as a distraction.  Give me a motivated 26 year old WR who has HOF talent paired with a young hungry accurate QB.  I will be buying if I get the chance. In any league.

16 hours ago, Mike FF Today said:

I wholeheartedly agree, Mike.     

Around 4500 yards passing and 33 TDs, I'd say.     A ton of weapons.   

The Browns should get rewarded with quite a few prime-time games after this trade.   

Woah! That's a hell of a lot of weapons. Baker Mayfield must be living a charmed life. What a great group of young talent to develop.

ICEMAN

MIght change my logo to Browns 84 if OBJ takes it up.

nfl-cleveland-browns-cincinnati-bengals1

On 3/12/2019 at 8:38 PM, Mike FF Today said:

I like Mayfield... Hunt and Chubb hurt each other's value and OBJ puts a dent in the other receivers.  I would think Perriman has little value (certainly not dependable on a weekly basis).  Njoku, who I like a lot, might even be hurt by OBJ.

Breshad Perriman is signing with Tampa Bay instead. 

@AdamSchefter
FollowFollow @AdamSchefter
More

After trade for Odell Beckham Jr., Browns’ GM John Dorsey and agent Drew Rosenhaus mutually agreed to not to follow through on verbal agreement with WR Breshad Perriman, per @mortreport and me. Perriman now will sign a one-year, $4 million deal with Tampa Bay, per source.

7:44 PM - 12 Mar 2019

honestly,  players like Odell are hard to have in the dressing room when the team loses, but when the team wins, I think he will be fine.

As I expect this team to win more than they lose, I think Odell will be fine in the dressing room.   I also think he will 'bring it' on the field.

while I do think it was a bit of an overpay, I think it was the right move to make.   They needed to get Mayfield some weapons and give him a legit chance to develop.

Think it was a great pickup for the Browns. 

and Golden Tate is signed to replace him in New York.    Tate is good, but hes no OBJ.

but the net result is more cap space, a first round pick and 2 starters for Odell.   Realistically I dont think the Giants could hang onto him (Odell) long enough to survive a rebuild.   So in the end I think this is a deal that makes sense for both sides.

The thing that makes zero sense to me is that they traded obj and seem to be in full rebuild mode.  But than you sign a 31 yr old wr to a 4 year deal and hang onto a 38 yr old qb way past his prime.  Not sure what the end game is for the Giants.

38 minutes ago, browns16-0 said:

The thing that makes zero sense to me is that they traded obj and seem to be in full rebuild mode.  But than you sign a 31 yr old wr to a 4 year deal and hang onto a 38 yr old qb way past his prime.  Not sure what the end game is for the Giants.

Like a lot of Giants fans I am not enamored with Gettelman at the moment, however it is clear that ownership has mandated that Eli be given the respect to finish his contract and probably career at the end of the season. One can argue this is a foolish decision, and I won't blame anyone for that but it is what it is, can't fight city hall. 

43 minutes ago, browns16-0 said:

I'll tell you why I think its a good move.

There are still a lot of holes in that lineup.   half of that leaky line has been rebuilt, but Solder is now 30, so in a couple years he will need to be replaced.    For now, the line is adequate, but likely needs another piece added.  I'm thinking a first or 2nd round pick needs to be spent to fix this(they may be able to get away with a 3rd depending what position they draft for).

(If using a 2nd or 3rd, the player likely needs a year to get to a point where they make an impact)

Either way, another big problem is the defense.  and this likely needs both first round picks to plug holes.

Eli may not be the top QB in the NFL, but he quietly put up a decent season.   4300 yards passing would place him top 10 in the NFL this year. 21 TD and 11 INT.   I'd say he quietly had a pretty solid year.   when you consider next year's QB crop to be superior to this years, I'd say why not wait a year and draft from the deeper QB talent pool.   Plug a few more holes in the lineup and put the new QB in a situation where they are more likely to succeed?

I truly think this is the way to go here.  the year to draft a QB is not this year.   Next year is the QB drafting year.  If Eli stinks the joint out, they wont have to trade up to get that top QB either.

• Like 1

Beckham needed to go, he wanted to go, the Gmen did the right thing , on paper and on the field it looks bad, but both party’s wanted a devorce and they got it. 

On 3/15/2019 at 6:26 PM, browns16-0 said:

Good thing they drafted a runningback last year. 

On 3/14/2019 at 3:23 PM, Ray_T said:

honestly,  players like Odell are hard to have in the dressing room when the team loses, but when the team wins, I think he will be fine.

As I expect this team to win more than they lose, I think Odell will be fine in the dressing room.   I also think he will 'bring it' on the field.

while I do think it was a bit of an overpay, I think it was the right move to make.   They needed to get Mayfield some weapons and give him a legit chance to develop.

Dressing room?  What is this, a focking fashion show?

5 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Dressing room?  What is this, a focking fashion show?

have you looked at Odell's hair?  we are talking about him, it may well be implied that it is a fashion show.

although to imply this was not the intent of my comment.

IMO - when OBJ came out and questioned the play calling last year - THAT is what caused the GM etc. to "shop him."  That, and the other nonsense (kicking net, etc.)..  I could see the G-Men going DL / OL and OL / WR with their first rounders this year, and *if* they like a QB in 2020, pulling a Ricky Williams (New Orleans) to get him.  That's if they don't get the OSU kid at 1.06.

2 hours ago, Bills04 said:

IMO - when OBJ came out and questioned the play calling last year - THAT is what caused the GM etc. to "shop him."  That, and the other nonsense (kicking net, etc.)..  I could see the G-Men going DL / OL and OL / WR with their first rounders this year, and *if* they like a QB in 2020, pulling a Ricky Williams (New Orleans) to get him.  That's if they don't get the OSU kid at 1.06.

without a doubt.

Players like Odell are coach killers.   Elite player calling out poor coaching/managment.   usually that's a good way to find your way out of an organization.   or to get the coach fired.

this works the same in real life.... call out your boss in a public way on a stupid decision they made.... good way to get yourself fired in a hurry.