Sign in to follow this  
Patriotsfatboy1

MLB Rule changes

What say you on these changes?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/mlb-to-implement-new-rule-changes-that-will-shake-up-look-of-sport/ar-BBULp6H?ocid=spartanntp

-- Pitchers will be required to face a minimum of three batters in a game beginning in 2020.

-- There will be a single July 31 trade deadline, starting this season, with teams prohibited from making any type of trade after that date.

-- Mound visits will be reduced from six to five during games beginning this year, and perhaps reduced to four visits in 2020.

-- There will be an All-Star election day starting this summer where fans can determine the starting players in the All-Star Game with 24-hour voting.

-- The Home Run Derby will now pay $1 million to the winning player.

-- Commercial breaks during innings will be shortened by 20 seconds to 2 minutes.

-- Position players will be prohibited from pitching in games that don’t go into extra innings, unless a team is ahead or behind by at least eight runs.

-- Committees will be appointed by the Commissioner’s office and the union to formally discuss the game’s economic concerns. They will study ways to make the free-agent market more active. They will discuss eliminating the incentive for teams from purposely losing to gain top draft picks. They will explore efforts to prevent teams from manipulating service time that delays their top prospects from being called up to the major leagues.

-- The minimum time a player spends on the injured list will be increased back to 15 days from 10.

-- And finally, beginning in 2020, all teams will have a 28-man roster in the final month of September, after having a 26-man roster the first five months of the season.

I don't like requiring pitchers to face 3 hitters.  Some manager will inevitably tell a pitcher to get the one out he needs then fake an injury.

I also don't like prohibiting position players from pitching. 

I'm fine with all the others. 

Just now, vuduchile said:

I don't like requiring pitchers to face 3 hitters.  A manager will inevitably tell a pitcher to get the one out he needs and then fake an injury.

I also don't like prohibiting position players from pitching. 

I'm fine with all the others. 

Looks like the USA Today article is a little off.  The lead that allows a position player to pitch is 6 runs according to this from MLB.com

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-rules-changes

There is one other way that a position player can pitch

• They are designated as a “Two-Way Player.” A player can only qualify for this designation if he accrues at least 20 Major League innings pitched and at least 20 Major League games started as a position player or designated hitter (with at least three plate appearances in each of those games) in either the current or the prior season.

9 minutes ago, Thornton Melon said:

Pitch clock

if an NBA team can get a shot off in 24 seconds, no focking reason a pitcher can't throw a focking ball. Should be 15 seconds (with no one on base)

• Thanks 1

They need a sniper to take care of idiot batters who must tighten their batting gloves after every pitch. 

• Thanks 1

Pitchers will be required to face a minimum of three batters in a game beginning in 2020.

Although I admit this doesn't seem fair, I'm all for anything that speeds up this part of the game. The cat & mouse BS that comes with changing pitchers for every batter is an asinine time killer......... If you oppose this rule, fine - compromise... Limit the number of warm up pitches allowed from 8 to 2..... Your ass has been and throwing already - 2 pitches is plenty to get a feel for the mound and get moving.

1 hour ago, TimmySmith said:

They need a sniper to take care of idiot batters who must tighten their batting gloves after every pitch. 

Agreed..Batter must keep one foot in batters box.....  

2 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Pitchers will be required to face a minimum of three batters in a game beginning in 2020.

Although I admit this doesn't seem fair, I'm all for anything that speeds up this part of the game. The cat & mouse BS that comes with changing pitchers for every batter is an asinine time killer......... If you oppose this rule, fine - compromise... Limit the number of warm up pitches allowed from 8 to 2..... Your ass has been and throwing already - 2 pitches is plenty to get a feel for the mound and get moving.

Id meet you 1/2 way and say 4 pitches..Unless of course, hes in there due to an injury or something where he wasn't able to warm up.

2 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

8 mandatory warm up pitches is where the farce is. It basically is time for commercials. Pitchers should be able to pitch when they are ready.

Just now, edjr said:

8 mandatory warm up pitches is where the farce is. It basically is time for commercials. Pitchers should be able to pitch when they are ready.

Oh yea, I didn't even think of that - good point.

38 minutes ago, edjr said:

Nope...  The bullpen mounds and the main mounds are not the same...

-- Pitchers will be required to face a minimum of three batters in a game beginning in 2020.

This is a stupid rule change...  I know they want to speed up the game (even though the time is fine), but the LOOGY pitcher is awesome...

6 minutes ago, posty said:

Nope...  The bullpen mounds and the main mounds are completely the same...

:huh:

9 minutes ago, edjr said:

:huh:

Yeah, I meant to say NOT the same...

I would be confused as well...

Of the 3 rules designed to speed up the game, the 3 batter minimum rule is the only one that actually focks up a manager's ability to manage his team.  They won't force the opposing manager to leave 3 consecutive batters in the lineup to face that pitcher.  It's extremely unfair to the defense, and really beyond stupid. 

Upon further review, I actually don't think the July 31 deadline for all trades goes far enough to stop the rent-a-player scenario we see every year.  Back it up into June.  

16 minutes ago, posty said:

Yeah, I meant to say NOT the same...

I would be confused as well...

Regardless

JUST THROW THE FOCKING BALL! :mad:

8 minutes ago, edjr said:

Regardless

JUST THROW THE FOCKING BALL! :mad:

It takes time to appropriately apply pine tar, Vaseline or sandpaper to a ball before throwing it.  :dunno:

How the QuesTec(sp) or computerized strike zone (or whatever its called these days) isn't mentioned in any of this is beyond my comprehension.  I think batters would def be for this not to mention 90% of fans.

Just now, BufordT said:

How the QuesTec(sp) or computerized strike zone (or whatever its called these days) isn't mentioned in any of this is beyond my comprehension.  I think batters would def be for this not to mention 90% of fans.

That has a lot of issues as well...

The All Star idea is interesting IF the players that fans are voting on are selected ahead of time (otherwise prepare for all sorts of stupid ballot stuffing bullsh*t). 

16 minutes ago, ZeroTolerance said:

The All Star idea is interesting IF the players that fans are voting on are selected ahead of time (otherwise prepare for all sorts of stupid ballot stuffing bullsh*t). 

Nothing all start related in any league is worth a fock.

19 hours ago, posty said:

This is a stupid rule change...  I know they want to speed up the game (even though the time is fine), but the LOOGY pitcher is awesome...

Agreed, this rule should be shelved until the changes to the DL and 26/28 man roster have a chance to work.   That will probably have enough effect that teams won't be shuffling players to the DL/minors bringing players up to questionably expand bullpens.   

There is just so much wrong with it...guy gives up back to back HR's, has to face another batter.  Is brought in to face 3 lefties in a row and opposing team PH's 3 righties...focking stupid.   Manfred can work on speeding up the game, but any strategic decisions need to be play-tested for a couple of years before being implemented.

I'm pixxed.  The most glaring fix that was needed was not addressed. :wall:

Sell me a focking beer in the 8th and 9th innings.  :mad:

20 hours ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

It takes time to appropriately apply pine tar, Vaseline or sandpaper to a ball before throwing it.  :dunno:

On 3/14/2019 at 4:11 PM, posty said:

That has a lot of issues as well...

Still, I'd rather have an unbiased, consistent strike zone instead of the personalized strike zone human umpires create.