Sign in to follow this  
joneo

Anyone Have Their Sport Cards Graded?

1 hour ago, Kopy said:

Did you ever get any fakes that were laugh out loud obvious? Just wondering If anything ever came your way that was comical, and you just rolled your eyes and said move along buddy.

I like my scammers to at least put some effort Into It.

Well in the early-mid 90s there were a lot of efforts made at counterfeiting the Jordan.  There were a few standard issues on them. For me, the easiest to identify was always the Fleer Premier logo at the top right on the front.  On the yellow band where the word Premier is there is a rooftop looking arrow or top of a triangle at the end.  The copes never got the coloring exactly right on that.  The printing process had also changed by that date where the originals had little dots from printing that were identifiable and the copies were more smooth laser looking prints.  On the back of the card, the most common fakes also had trouble in duplicating the NBA basketball logo in the bottom right.  The originals had clear separation lines in in the basketball that the fakes did not.  Also, the one I tended to not look for had to do with the eyes in the mascot of the Chicago Bulls on the back.  The lines around the eyes also had some inconsistencies between the real and fake ones.

I bought a raw one on ebay back around 1998-1999 in the early days of ebay when occasionally some would still sell real raw cards on there of the Jordan.  I bought one after examining the close up pics.  That one was real.  When it came in, the guy had swapped it and sent a counterfeit.  He tried to deny it and fought me all the way on it.  It wasn't as simple as going through Paypal back then, in fact I mailed him payment.  He only relented and I got my money back after starting mail fraud charges against him through the USPS.  What's funny is, while he never admitted he knew it was a fake, he wouldn't even pay the $4-$5 whatever it was for me to return his item so he obviously knew it was no good.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

It is it because the person looking for the 10 only has about 100 in the world to choose from

https://www.psacard.com/pop/#0|1981 topps joe montana

I know what you mean by the supply and demand part of the equasion. I just think It's funny and unrealistic.

I realize I'm a fully simplistic person. But I'd never go to a 10 star restaurant, pay for valet parking, and then buy a $100 dollar steak, while In the process tip every single person I meet.

I'd get a $10 dollar steak, and grill It In my backyard.

Different life styles I suppose. And If you can find one sucker with money to burn, then It was worth It. But still very funny on my end of It.

9 minutes ago, Kopy said:

I know what you mean by the supply and demand part of the equasion. I just think It's funny and unrealistic.

I realize I'm a fully simplistic person. But I'd never go to a 10 star restaurant, pay for valet parking, and then buy a $100 dollar steak, while In the process tip every single person I meet.

I'd get a $10 dollar steak, and grill It In my backyard.

Different life styles I suppose. And If you can find one sucker with money to burn, then It was worth It. But still very funny on my end of It.

Often eBay stores will post a unique product way above the actual price to drive traffic to their store. That's why most of them do it.

31 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

Why do you say unrealistic? The listing I posted were SOLD listings

I'm not In any way suggesting you didn't show evidence of the needle In the haystack being found. I'm just saying for a common person like myself, (and I gotta believe the majority out there are like me). Paying $50 bucks for a damn fine looking Joe Montana rookie card that's listed mint condition at a $80 dollar value (i have know Idea on the value, just guessing. Haven't looked In years). Compared to paying $10,000 grand for a "graded 10" card. Most people are gonna get the $50 dollar version. And laugh at the outrageousness of the $10,000 firm buy now add. When the cap value was the "$80 dollar" mint listing.

I could be wrong, maybe I am? It still makes me laugh though.

3 minutes ago, Kopy said:

I'm not In any way suggesting you didn't show evidence of the needle In the haystack being found. I'm just saying for a common person like myself, (and I gotta believe the majority out there are like me). Paying $50 bucks for a damn fine looking Joe Montana rookie card that's listed mint condition at a $80 dollar value (i have know Idea on the value, just guessing. Haven't looked In years). Compared to paying $10,000 grand for a "graded 10" card. Most people are gonna get the $50 dollar version. And laugh at the outrageousness of the $10,000 firm buy now add.

I could be wrong, maybe I am? It still makes me laugh though.

Yeah I'm kind of one of the in between people on this.  I have a partial 86 Fleer basketball set.  I'm trying to do them in 9-10.  The few 10s I have I had graded on my own except for Spud Webb who was always difficult for me to find.  I found a good deal on a Webb with ebay bucks and bought it.  But there's not a lot of difference between 9s and 10s.  In fact, my Worthy 9's are all as 10 looking as I can imagine.  Now some 9s are 9s because they are a little off center.  But from an eye appeal, you can get a lot more mileage out of a 9 or a nice 8.  8's tend to have a wide range  I sold a Jordan 8 that I had graded maybe 22 years ago or so.  That one was nicer than some 9s I see and had great centering.  I sold it to get money to help start my business so I did right but I wish I could buy that one back as an "8" because I can't find an 8 that nice.  

All that's to say, buy the card and not the grade.  Just because a card has an 8 printed on the label doesn't mean it's not as nice or as visually appealing as some 9's.  PSA is far from perfect.  I've seen some 10's with obvious flaws.

OK. So now I got another question for Mark Davis or bandrus. You 2 seem to be the most knowledgable, and interested in this topic.

This I've always wondered. Have you, someone you know, or even just an urban legend you heard. Ever sent in a card, get it graded. When it came back, broke it open, then sent it back out to see if it got the same grade? Or maybe even didn't agree with a PSA grade, so the second time sent it to Beckett or vise versa?

I wonder if you'd get the same number back?

And bandrus, I'm not in any way trying to argue with you. I guess just my line of thinking is:

If something is worth $80 bucks, and I paid $50 bucks for it. If I ever had to get rid of it. Chances are, I'm gonna get my $50 bucks back. Maybe even the $80 "listed" mint it's so called worth.

But if I payed $10,000 grand for that mint 10 graded card. How in the hell am I ever gonna get that back? Even if I ask for a hundred times the mint value listing. Found that needle in the haystack sucker that has money to burn. That's only $8,000 grand. I'd still be out $2,000 bucks. And that's at A HUNDRED TIMES IT'S MARK UP CAP VALUE.

That's why I think it's completely outrageous and funny as hell. Kudos for that 1 person that you do find to buy though. I suppose that does make it all worth it.

3 hours ago, Kopy said:

OK. So now I got another question for Mark Davis or bandrus. You 2 seem to be the most knowledgable, and interested in this topic.

This I've always wondered. Have you, someone you know, or even just an urban legend you heard. Ever sent in a card, get it graded. When it came back, broke it open, then sent it back out to see if it got the same grade? Or maybe even didn't agree with a PSA grade, so the second time sent it to Beckett or vise versa?

It's subjective to individual grader who it is assigning it a grade.. people crack their cases open all the time and resubmit

It is subjective in some respects yes. 

And yo your other point it is literally like ANYTHING that there are collectors or elitists about. I think it's crazy what people will pay for wine but people do.

Cards are like anything else where there is a market. There are those who just want something and then there are those who want the best something

3 hours ago, Kopy said:

I've heard of a lot of people cracking them open and resubmitting.  I've never done it but there are people who do it with their own submissions or buy what they consider undergrades and resubmit those trying to profit.  From what I've heard, maybe 10% is a good success rate.  It's hard to get the BGS stuff to crossover well to PSA.  The people who do it more say you are better off cracking them open and resubmitting raw cards.  You have the ability though to resubmit within the slab and ask for a review.  Or if it's in a Beckett holder you can say only regrade and reslab in PSA if it meets a minimum grade.

If buying, buy the card not the grade. 

Also, if you want to grade your own cards look at sold values on ebay of the card in different grades.  PSA sells for more, although they don't necessarily grade any tougher.  BGS (Beckett) is tougher on centering.  I've seen 1986 Fleer PSA 10s that look like 8s.  Find a nice 9 or 8 if you can if buying.  I prefer BGS and almost my entire RC collection is BGS out of 1,000+ cards.  Do NOT use BGS nonguaranteed service as they are almost a year behind and hold your cards hostage.  PSA does not deliver on their number of days or weeks return time and PSA charges more for higher priced cards, significantly more.  BGS charges the same price for any price card, their prices depend on the turnaround time you select and they guarantee the 20 day ($20 per card), 10 day ($30 per card), 5 day ($35 per card) and 2 day ($45 per card) services.  Prices go down a little bit if you choose not to get subgrades and if you submit over 50 cards and again at over 100 cards.  I don't know about PSA prices. 

BGS also charges extra for Autographed cards and they grade the Autograph. 

PSA also grades the card and the autograph

My mantle Griffey was $135 all in shipped each way to have authenticated and graded

31 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

How many days did PSA take?

My 15 day submission (business days) took about a month and a half.  PSA is way behind and has been for the past couple years.

• Like 1

Man this really is/was a fun hobby. Just shootin sh!t with you guys the last couple days has been a blast.

You ever been sucked into a gimmick card? I did. Had to be around 1990 or so. You guys remember the classic brand Nolan knows Bo card? I thought I hit the jackpot with that one. Probably had about 10 of them at the time. I thought I was gonna be rich. I think they'd  probably go for a $1 buck nowadays.

11 hours ago, Kopy said:

Man this really is/was a fun hobby. Just shootin sh!t with you guys the last couple days has been a blast.

You ever been sucked into a gimmick card? I did. Had to be around 1990 or so. You guys remember the classic brand Nolan knows Bo card? I thought I hit the jackpot with that one. Probably had about 10 of them at the time. I thought I was gonna be rich. I think they'd  probably go for a $1 buck nowadays.

Ha I remember those.  They used to pimp that card and that Classic set on the Home Shopping Network.  Every week they'd have a sports night and have someone like Pete Rose as a guest.