Sign in to follow this  
Ray_T

Fitzmagic in Miami

If this is as good as it gets in Miami, I'm wondering if this is an actual upgrade on Tannehill.   

Dont get me wrong, I love Fitzmagic, but I'm a realist.  he is not a franchise QB.

I suppose if you go by the logic that Tannehill isnt a franchise QB either, and look at it as a cost saving move, then yeah, the move makes some sense, but the team needs to go forward, not backward.

I agree with you Ray. 

Tells me the Dolphins will be shopping in the draft for a Qb. 

5 hours ago, weepaws said:

I agree with you Ray. 

Tells me the Dolphins will be shopping in the draft for a Qb. 

or they are gearing up to select one next year and want to give the impression they are not actually trying to tank the season.

6 hours ago, Ray_T said:

If this is as good as it gets in Miami, I'm wondering if this is an actual upgrade on Tannehill.   

Dont get me wrong, I love Fitzmagic, but I'm a realist.  he is not a franchise QB.

I suppose if you go by the logic that Tannehill isnt a franchise QB either, and look at it as a cost saving move, then yeah, the move makes some sense, but the team needs to go forward, not backward.

You have to go backwards to go forwards in sports these days.  Dolphins are much like the Bills.  Never good but never bad enough.  Looks like this year they may be doing a proper tank.

Tanking for Tua is a very reasonable strategy. He is better than any QB in this class. Wish the Giants would adopt that position...

5 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Tanking for Tua is a very reasonable strategy. He is better than any QB in this class. Wish the Giants would adopt that position...

It isnt even tanking for any guys in paticular.  But they fight tooth and nail to mid 1st pick (13th this year) with one of thr worst rosters and QB situations in thr league.  At some point you just need to suck.  

Not sure if there is smoke here but maybe Haskins is gettable (if they like him) this year.  Seems like Giants font want him.

13 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

It isnt even tanking for any guys in paticular.  But they fight tooth and nail to mid 1st pick (13th this year) with one of thr worst rosters and QB situations in thr league.  At some point you just need to suck.  

Not sure if there is smoke here but maybe Haskins is gettable (if they like him) this year.  Seems like Giants font want him.

I get what your saying, mediocrity begets mediocrity, but a young QB on a rookie contract is the only reason to " unintentionally" tank, and Tua IMO is a tier above the non Kyler Murray QBs.

As a Dolphin fan I hope Tannehill is out of the league in a year, blows all his money, and catches a fatal disease. 

Fitzpatrick is a great signing. Cheap, fun to root for, and he can play huge... at times.  People just assume he's going to be up and down, but ya never know - he might shock the world. He finished last season with a QB rating of 100.4. The best Tannehill ever had was 93.5. Fitz is also a perfect mentor for whoever the Dolphins do end up drafting.  An old vet, good character, and knows his job is short-term.

As for Tank for Tua... I don't want him.  The hype train is in full effect on that kid. He puts up good stats... but he plays for mighty Alabama - the most loaded football team in all of college sports. I question if he's really that good and definitely question if he's worth a #1 pick.  I seriously doubt it.

I'm hoping the Dolphins take a QB this year.... perhaps 6'5" Daniel Jones from Duke. 

I really think you will see a lot of up and downs with him. 

Hes not going to bring Evans and Godwin with him. 

He will have his share of very good moments , but overall he will be pretty avg at the end. 

It isnt tanking for Tua.  It is tanking for a top draft pick and a little more control.  A restart.   

Hey they could draft one this year at 13 if they really like one that is left.  There are probably 3 QBs next year that very well could be rated higher than Haskins is right now.  But a lot changes from now until bowl season next year.  Tua is not an Andrew Luck.  But I think he can be very good.

Also to the guy who posted "its alabama they have all the talent" please stop.  

Tua is a very good prospect.  Maybe he is a little overrated by some.  I dont think anyone is acting like he is Luck coming out of college.   

The Dolphins have zero chance this year.  Tear it down.  Suck.  And restart.  Fighting to 6-9 wins each and every year is how you end up mediore for 2 decades.  Ask Buffalo.  They do it every year.

12 hours ago, weepaws said:

I really think you will see a lot of up and downs with him. 

Hes not going to bring Evans and Godwin with him. 

He will have his share of very good moments , but overall he will be pretty avg at the end. 

well, you cant argue on Team chemistry.  I loved it when Fitzy showed up to the press conference with Desean Jackson's Bling.   it was pretty funny, and I think it loosened things up in the dressing room.  I'm pretty sure his team loved it too.

8 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

The Dolphins have zero chance this year.  Tear it down.  Suck.  And restart.  Fighting to 6-9 wins each and every year is how you end up mediore for 2 decades.  Ask Buffalo.  They do it every year.

Tanking works in the NBA because one great draft pick can change a franchise since there's only 5 players on the court.  But it doesn't work in the NFL. If it did, the Browns and the Lions would have countless SuperBowls.  

The Patriots and other SuperBowl contenders aren't good because they tanked. They did it with smart draft picks, good coaching and salary management.  The opposite of what the Dolphins have done for the past 20 years. I'm for replacing most of the Dolphin's roster and all of the coaches/GM.   But I ain't for tanking, because it doesn't lead to anything. 

Interestingly, the 2019 over/under win total for the Dolphins is 5.5. I think they'll go way over....8+ wins. I'm cool with that. If Dolphins new head coach Brian Flores is as good as I think he'll be, the Fish will be contending very soon.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

Tanking works in the NBA because one great draft pick can change a franchise since there's only 5 players on the court.  But it doesn't work in the NFL. If it did, the Browns and the Lions would have countless SuperBowls.  

The Patriots and other SuperBowl contenders aren't good because they tanked. They did it with smart draft picks, good coaching and salary management.  The opposite of what the Dolphins have done for the past 20 years. I'm for replacing most of the Dolphin's roster and all of the coaches/GM.   But I ain't for tanking, because it doesn't lead to anything. 

Interestingly, the 2019 over/under win total for the Dolphins is 5.5. I think they'll go way over....8+ wins. I'm cool with that. If Dolphins new head coach Brian Flores is as good as I think he'll be, the Fish will be contending very soon.

Grinding to .500 each year doesnt work either.  Josh Allen at 7 was the Bills highest picked QB ever.  I believe Kelly was 13.  EJ Manuel 16th.  Each year the Bills were handing out contracts like they were a player or 2 away from anything.

No one said tanking is a magic pill that cures all (sometimes it does).  

You are not getting what I am saying at all.  I think we agree actually.  

What do you think I mean when I say tank?  You seriously are excited for a possible 8 win team under Fitz?  Lol you sound like delusional Bills fans.

2 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Grinding to .500 each year doesnt work either.  Josh Allen at 7 was the Bills highest picked QB ever.  I believe Kelly was 13.  EJ Manuel 16th.  Each year the Bills were handing out contracts like they were a player or 2 away from anything.

No one said tanking is a magic pill that cures all (sometimes it does).  

You are not getting what I am saying at all.  I think we agree actually.  

What do you think I mean when I say tank?  You seriously are excited for a possible 8 win team under Fitz?  Lol you sound like delusional Bills fans.

yeah, Fitz is a middling starter with some decent character. 

that wont win you a superbowl unless you have an elite Defense.    An elite defense allows you to be far more conservative on your offensive play calls.   You can run the ball a lot more, and generally not take those chances that lead to turnovers.

in general, if you have the best defense in the NFL you can get by with an average offense that does not turn the ball over.

Thing about Fitz, I dont think hes a game manager.  Hes a high risk, high reward type of QB.   fun to watch, but not effective enough to get you a championship.

Fitz's signing is somewhat of a head-scratcher, like the G-Men's signing of Golden Tate.  *If* you're planning on tanking the '19 season.  But Fitz will at least make the losses entertaining.  Some 2018 stat lines:  411/3/3; 243/4/2; 406/0/2 & 167/0/3. 

NYG will likely finish with more wins than MIA.  They get to play WAS twice.  And, they DO have talent - Barkley (and I think Engram in 2017) to the Pro Bowl.  Name one good player on the Dolphins..

4 hours ago, Ray_T said:

yeah, Fitz is a middling starter with some decent character. 

that wont win you a superbowl unless you have an elite Defense.    An elite defense allows you to be far more conservative on your offensive play calls.   You can run the ball a lot more, and generally not take those chances that lead to turnovers.

in general, if you have the best defense in the NFL you can get by with an average offense that does not turn the ball over.

Thing about Fitz, I dont think hes a game manager.  Hes a high risk, high reward type of QB.   fun to watch, but not effective enough to get you a championship.

I doubt they brought in Fitz with any illusions of doing anything this year.

He is the perfect QB to call on for a forgotten season of rebuild.  

2 hours ago, Bills04 said:

Name one good player on the Dolphins..

RB Kenyan Drake.... that is all.

No wait... Ryan Fitzpatrick!

:pointstosky:

2 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

I doubt they brought in Fitz with any illusions of doing anything this year.

He is the perfect QB to call on for a forgotten season of rebuild.  

This. 

You nailed it. 

On 3/19/2019 at 5:36 PM, GobbleDog said:

RB Kenyan Drake.... that is all.

No wait... Ryan Fitzpatrick!

:pointstosky:

Kenny Stills is pretty good.  Wonder if Devante Parker might turn into anything w Fitz too.

I see Flores opening up the offense and going gunslinger this first year.

15 hours ago, ralphster said:

Kenny Stills is pretty good.  Wonder if Devante Parker might turn into anything w Fitz too.

I see Flores opening up the offense and going gunslinger this first year.

Generally, Fitz usually is good news for at least one receiver on the roster.   sometimes two.

he generally puts up lots of yards and can, (at times) put up lots of TD's.   the problem is that he also throws a lot of INT's.    The good news is that receivers do not get punished when the QB throws an INT.    So I'd bet there is at least one WR on this team that will be worth owning.

• Like 1