Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Zion Williamson hype machine on overdrive

I heard a lot of chatter on Friday about this Zion Williamson kid, heard Duke was playing UNC on Saturday and how Zion is the next Leflop, the best prospect since Leflop.

I recorded the Duke/UNC game and watched it. He was impressive no doubt. my 1st full college bball game I have watched since last final four. Watched the Duke/FSU game on Sunday too.

Best prospect since Leflop? Hmmm. Maybe. Leflop couldn't shoot until what, 5th year in the league? This kid can shoot some 3's, but he'll get better.

He's good, but ESPN has gone overboard with him.  It's embarrassing.

Freak athlete though......he does sorta have a pudgy look to him.   I wonder if he will have weight issues when he gets out of his teens.

Just now, KSB2424 said:

He's good, but ESPN has gone overboard with him.  It's embarrassing.

Freak athlete though......he does sorta have a pudgy look to him.   I wonder if he will have weight issues when he gets out of his teens.

Slightly taller Charles Barkley 

You watched his 2nd game back after an extended injury.  You should have seen the first.  He was even better.  This kid is amazing.  If the other guys on the team could hit threes with any consistency we'd already be handing the trophy to Duke. 

8 minutes ago, edjr said:

Slightly taller Charles Barkley 

And more athletic.  Of course, you'd know that if you bothered to check in on my Zion thread instead of creating your own.  Look at me!

There was a dude that played in Durham by the name of Rodney Rogers......he ended up at Wake Forest and then on to the NBA.   I'll never forget this dude as they played my HS basketball team.  I was a freshman watching the game and he jumped just inside the free throw line and 360 dunked it.  With authority.  I'll never forget it.   Zion reminded me of him.

2 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

And more athletic.  Of course, you'd know that if you bothered to check in on my Zion thread instead of creating your own.  Look at me!

THis just happened this weekend and yes, he did wear sneakers

Just now, edjr said:

THis just happened this weekend and yes, he did wear sneakers

What just happened this weekend?  The Zion hype?  Uh no.  That's been happening for years.

9 minutes ago, Strike said:

What just happened this weekend?  The Zion hype?  Uh no.  That's been happening for years.

the acc tourney semi and final  ( I think duke is still in the acc,)

He is 6'7" and 280.  Runs like a gazelle and can jump through the roof.  Extremely athletic and he plays smart on the court.  Still not a great shooter.

He is overhyped, though.  

He is great, dominant in college, a freak, etc. That said, he feels like a guy dominating on athleticism as opposed to a skill set. His athletic advantages will shrink at the next level. Then he is a 6'7 PF-C that can't shoot and isn't an elite rebounder.

I guess I don't think he will ever be a guy that can lead a good team in scoring year after year, but I do think he can be a helluva piece. I'd love him in Dallas obviously, with Luka handling the play making and Kirstaps as another dominant scorer. His offensive game would seemingly fit perfectly with them. I admittedly haven't watched his defensive play close enough to make a call there.

39 minutes ago, cbfalcon said:

He is great, dominant in college, a freak, etc. That said, he feels like a guy dominating on athleticism as opposed to a skill set. His athletic advantages will shrink at the next level. Then he is a 6'7 PF-C that can't shoot and isn't an elite rebounder.

I guess I don't think he will ever be a guy that can lead a good team in scoring year after year, but I do think he can be a helluva piece. I'd love him in Dallas obviously, with Luka handling the play making and Kirstaps as another dominant scorer. His offensive game would seemingly fit perfectly with them. I admittedly haven't watched his defensive play close enough to make a call there.

You're underestimating his abilities.

20 hours ago, edjr said:

I heard a lot of chatter on Friday about this Zion Williamson kid, heard Duke was playing UNC on Saturday and how Zion is the next Leflop, the best prospect since Leflop.

I recorded the Duke/UNC game and watched it. He was impressive no doubt. my 1st full college bball game I have watched since last final four. Watched the Duke/FSU game on Sunday too.

Best prospect since Leflop? Hmmm. Maybe. Leflop couldn't shoot until what, 5th year in the league? This kid can shoot some 3's, but he'll get better.

Seems like you are exaggerating a little bit, but personally I don't think anyone is really over hyping the greatest basketball player that the world has ever seen.   Sorry, just don't see it.  :dunno:

4 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Seems like you are exaggerating a little bit, but personally I don't think anyone is really over hyping the greatest basketball player that the world has ever seen.   Sorry, just don't see it.  :dunno:

:d

3 hours ago, cbfalcon said:

I've been thinking this.  He dominates on athleticism, but also against smaller bodies.  His shot is not natural.  He'll be good, but don't think he is going to live up to the draft position/hype.  I predict a shorter career.  

He'll make way more $$ in the NBA, but still - would make a phenomenal TE.

9 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

I've been thinking this.  He dominates on athleticism, but also against smaller bodies.  His shot is not natural.  He'll be good, but don't think he is going to live up to the draft position/hype.  I predict a shorter career.  

What are you seeing in his shot that's not natural?  Like most, he can refine it, but it doesn't look broken to me.

4 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

What are you seeing in his shot that's not natural?  Like most, he can refine it, but it doesn't look broken to me.

he doesn't quite square up.  Its a slow trigger.  No pull up as far as I can see.  He has to be wide open to shoot.  

Kinda reminds me of Elton Brand.  A lot of hype, we'll see on his NBA skill set.

Yeah, he's so much more athletic than everyone else that he can get shots close.  Was it the Syracuse game in the ACCT he was like 8 for 8 within 4 feet of the hoop.  Needs to develop more touch 10-15 feet away.  That said....he plays hard.  Dude is the most hyped prospect since LeBron but he hustles his ass off and shows a lot of passion on the floor.  Nobody shows up day 1 and lights it up in the NBA.  Gonna be some growing pains, but he seems like a good kid with a good work ethic....and a lot of natural ability.  Think he will shine at the next level.

6 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Kinda reminds me of Elton Brand.  A lot of hype, we'll see on his NBA skill set.

Right up until the point when the game starts.

7 hours ago, jerryskids said:

I mean, both are black and play for Dook.  

Oh Jerry. 

5 hours ago, FeelingMN said:

Yeah, he's so much more athletic than everyone else that he can get shots close.  Was it the Syracuse game in the ACCT he was like 8 for 8 within 4 feet of the hoop.  Needs to develop more touch 10-15 feet away.  That said....he plays hard.  Dude is the most hyped prospect since LeBron but he hustles his ass off and shows a lot of passion on the floor.  Nobody shows up day 1 and lights it up in the NBA.  Gonna be some growing pains, but he seems like a good kid with a good work ethic....and a lot of natural ability.  Think he will shine at the next level.

👍

I don’t like Duke to win it all despite ESPN fawning over Zion.  They have to many freshman and not enough veteran role players.  Also lack great 3 point shooting.  They are the most talented  (by NBA standards team) but that doesn’t mean they are the best team out there.

6 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

I mean, both are black and play for Dook.  

Oh Jerry. 

Well, one of us made a comp and one of us made a mindlessly stupid racist comment.  :thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Well, one of us made a comp and one of us made a mindlessly stupid racist comment.  :thumbsup:

1.  Nothing racist about making a joke about two basketball players being the same race.  :doh:

2.  Scroll up several posts.  :doh:

It’s all good though, just effing with you.  I’m just saying that Brands game was more post play, mid range, etc.  Great player but terrible comparison.

Charles Barkley,  Larry “Grandmama” Johnson, and Rodney Rogers are better comparisons.  Honestly, if all three of them had a orgy with Cheryl Miller the baby would be Zion.

13 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

1.  Nothing racist about making a joke about two basketball players being the same race.  :doh:

It’s all good though, just effing with you.  I’m just saying that Brands game was more post play, mid range, etc.  Great player but terrible comparison.

Charles Barkley,  Larry “Grandmama” Johnson, and Rodney Rogers are better comparisons.  Honestly, if all three of them had a orgy with Cheryl Miller the baby would be Zion.

grandmama is a good comparison for overall game.  

On 3/19/2019 at 10:39 PM, KSB2424 said:

I really like the Larry Johnson comparison offensively. More athletic obviously, probably not as good a rebounder though, but best comp I’ve seen. 

On 3/23/2019 at 10:48 AM, cbfalcon said:

I really like the Larry Johnson comparison offensively. More athletic obviously, probably not as good a rebounder though, but best comp I’ve seen. 

Terrible comparison. Zion will never come close to LJ

Taco and Co. gave Duke all they wanted, and then some.  

Zion got the and1 opportunity with the game on the line, then missed the free throw.  He’s lucky his teammate bailed him out with the put back.  

3 minutes ago, ZeroTolerance said:

He's lucky he didn't get called for a charge before he went into Zion for to foul him out.

Last shot of the game was a foul too. Dook cheats to win again

1 minute ago, edjr said:

Last shot of the game was a foul too. Dook cheats to win again

I’m ok with no call there.  He got a decent look and the other kid almost put them away with the tip in.  

UCF had 2 chances in the final seconds and couldn’t get it done.  

7 minutes ago, ZeroTolerance said:

He's lucky he didn't get called for a charge before he went into Zion for to foul him out.

I actually thought they were calling a blocking foul prior to the shot there. 

5 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

I actually thought they were calling a blocking foul prior to the shot there. 

If Taco Bell was coached by Shashefskee he would have stood his ground and a charge would have been called.